• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Removing Headlight Stone Guards?

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
We've always had the headlight stone gaurds on my BJ8 and I think it's time for them to go. Do you just pry them off? I tried lightly and they didn't seem to want to come off. Is there another way or do I need to give it a little more force?

Thanks!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Brandon, remove the headlight rims and then it will be easy to to remove the guards.---Fwiw--Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
keoke,thats true,but no "sawsall" this time? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but ifin they rusty he may have to "CUT" em out.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
It depends on what type of stoneguards they are. A pic would help.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
OH SHG, they Granite stone guards. see everthing in the attachment "Granite Dells AZ" is solid Granite--Keoke-AZ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

Attachments

• 196093-GraniteDellsAZ.jpg
    196093-GraniteDellsAZ.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 85

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
nu huh. not all stone guards are the 3 prong type that screw onto the inner retaining ring. There are also the ones that attach to the out rim with knarled screws or bolts, or the type that I have which are made of granite.

And what's wrong with getting a little pic? I like seeing what other peoples got. And maybe I want to buy them if they nice. did you ever think of that? Huh? Huh?

bighly

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
keoke,thats true,but no "sawsall" this time? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but ifin they rusty he may have to "CUT" em out.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Keoke,
Nothing like sparks flyin everywhere. I like this hobby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
nu huh. not all stone guards are the 3 prong type that screw onto the inner retaining ring. There are also the ones that attach to the out rim with knarled screws or bolts, or the type that I have which are made of granite.

And what's wrong with getting a little pic?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
SHG,didn't you look closely at the stone guards on my BJ8 ? Them is Granite stone guards and his ain't.Besides that I sent you a small piccy of those granite mountains that make all the stones we guard against.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifAZ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
I don't have a picture right now, but they have two prongs that connect into the left and right side of the headlight. I'll take off the rim and see if I can remove them that way.

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Aha! See, Keoke thought they were the 3 prong type that went into the screws of the retaining ring. Wrongo! They sound like the 2 prong type that screw into the retaining ring.

Much as I hate to say this, Keoke is probably right and it will be easy once you take the rim off. But don't toss the stone guards. If they are the old 2 prong type, rather than the cheap 3 prong ones they make today, there are plenty of people out there who might want them.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

SHG, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif---Keoke is probably right-AZ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Yea but the "cheap three prong type" come off easily for cleaning the lamps and only cost me 5 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi TH, where you find all these bargains. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

These Granite rock guards are hinged and just swing out of the way when you want to clean the lamps. Thats pretty easy don't you think.?

-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
SHG you listening.? However TH, there is a down side to them you literally sacrifice the chrome head light rings because they must be drilled to set the retaining studs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif Additionally, locating these studs exactly 180 Deg apart and with equal set back from the front ege of the rim is not easy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif I used a Degree Wheel to locate the holes 180 Deg Apart [where Zero Deg coincided with the top rivit] and a digital caliper to establish the set back. They are nice but in most cases poorly made; the grids are are wavey or the grids are not exactly normal to the retaining brackets. I had to hand pick mine from several the dealer had. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif--Fwiw---Keoke

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Oh Keoke, you make sooo hard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Here’s a little gadget that finds centerlines of round objects: pipe, dowel and even headlight rims. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
196561-B0000.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yeah Greg, but you can't use it to set the valve timing on the engine too.Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I hear ya. I have the 2 prongers. Easy to install, nice heavy mesh, but a pain to clean the lamps. I also have a pair of the cheap 3 prong type. I hated them when they came and never used them. They're sitting in the pile of other stuff from Moss that I wouldn't put on the car. I'll give you a good price!

BTW, I got the ten sets of points and picked up an extra lucas dizzy cap as well for 99 cents. I think I'm gonna have a Healey garage sale this spring.

Country flag
Its been a while but I think the prongs simply nounted by the screws that attached the bowl to the fender. The chrome fit over that.