• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Post frame-off depression

LearJeff

Freshman Member
Hello to all the diehards out there!
It's been quite some time since I've visited "The Forum". That is if you don't count the one in Rome. Heck, I was there barely three weeks ago. No, no, it's this forum I speak of and all of its demented inhabitants.

My complete frame-off...restoration?...of my '74 TR6 was finally completed about 6 months ago. Restoration? I'm still having trouble with that word. It doesn't seem to do justice to all the months upon months of work and thousands upon thousands of dollars spent! Hmmm, is there another more suitable word? Re-build? No, no, that just sounds like you took something apart, cleaned it up and re-assembled it. We DEFINITELY did more than that. Let's see...re-manufacture? No, because even if there was a vaccum-sealed container somewhere in the world with every single part and piece required to build a "brand new" TR6, my car would still be...how should I put this modestly...better. It seems the only word that even comes close to describing what we did is actually two words: Total Ressurection. And, for all you nuts out there who have done the same thing, I bet you feel the same way about your car!

For 18 months or so, I had to endure the constant needling from friends and neighbors: "Jeff, the problem is, when all is said and done, you'll still be left with a TR6!" or this from my business partner "Jeff, save yourself the time and energy and buy a nice Porsche or even a mid-90's Ferrari 355 like mine for all the money your spending!" and finally, "Honey,how much will the car be worth after it's done?"

It seems the only place I'm likely to find kindred spirits is a place like the British Car Forum. And the really disturbing thing is, even after all of the set backs, all of the time ordering parts, returning the wrong ones(it seems the various parts supply houses averaged one wrong part delivered for every four correct parts), the energy, the effort and, yes, the money...after all that, I feel a void exists now that the project is complete. Sure, I've got (in my opinion at least) one of the most awesome TR6's on the road anywhere on Earth, but I also have this strange need to want to do it all over again. Did I just say that?

Anyway, I'll (attempt) to post some pictures here very soon. Who knows, maybe I'm delusional and once people actually see photos, they'll disagree with my Total Resurrection descriptor. In the meantime, to re-cap some of the highlights of what was done to the car, but by NO MEANS a complete list: (For all of you who've seen this before, my apologies!)

The body was removed from the frame; interior removed; engine removed and sent for complete overhaul; transmission removed for complete overhaul; differential removed for complete overhaul; entire frame cleaned, blasted and powder-coated; all new front suspension installed; new front shocks and springs; polyurethane bushings front and rear; installed new polyurethane transmission tunnel (2 piece design from The Roadster Factory-excellent!); designed and manufactured IN HOUSE rear disc brake conversion; all new front AND rear brake system installed (utilized Strange Engineering racing rotors and calipers); braided hoses front and rear; designed and manufactured IN HOUSE twin-rotor "Jaguar-style" parking brake system; designed and manufactured IN HOUSE rear tube shock conversion; all new fuel lines; fuel pump; starter; installed new "green hoses"; converted rubber engine compartment fuel lines to stainless steel tubing; new carbs; designed and manufactured push-rod type throttle linkage and clutch linkage (elimanted troublesome clutch fork); fabricated aluminum radiator shroud (powder-coated); installed new exhaust system; new Panasport wheels, new tires; replaced every bulb; replaced all lenses front, back and sides; replaced all fuses, new fuse box; new wiring; new side mirrors (chrome, bullet-type left and right)replaced every single screw, nut and bolt with aviation-spec hardware. In all, approx. 80 separate pieces were sent for powder coating, including valve cover, exhaust manifold, front and rear suspension pieces, etc. I missed many of the small detail items here, but I'm sure you get the overall picture.

I'm in Northern California and looking forward to seeing some of you British Car Enthusiasts at some upcoming events out here. If anyone knows of any, please let me know in case that particular event slipped beneath my radar. In the meantime, cheerio lads!

D

DougF

Jeff,
Are you crazy? You could have bought a 90's Ferrari. You could have driven it for a season and dumped more into that moneypit than you'd ever put into your 6. People would look at your car and automatically think negative things about you. (Now, they only think negative things when you pull out of their driveway leaving evidence of your visit behind).
You must be crazy. Just think how that Ferrari would have looked on the back of a tilt bed. Well, I can't comment on that one. But you would have paid ridiculous hourly wages at the dealership after that flatbed dropped it off. Now you only have a car that can be hauled to your home. What fun is there in that.
With the TR6, you only have a car that you now know inside out. A car that you can drive every day if you wish. But just think how nice that Ferrari would have looked sitting in your garage or in the dealer lot waiting for parts.
Yes Jeff, you are crazy!
Congratulations on your restoration.
As for the depression, do you like TR3's?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Jeff -

This is, after all, a passion for those of us who understand. And I relate completely with your statement about entertaining thoughts of doing it again.

I'm just now wrapping up the re-rebuild of my TR8 engine. (See avatar on the left.) It's been quite a roller coaster, and I've shored up my choice vocabulary over stubborn, impossible-to-reach bolts. But, like you, once this is "done" (is it ever?), I'll be ready for another "challenge". Because for us, that's part of the allure. The only remedy for your depression is to do another one!

So, stay "crazy" - we're there, Dude!

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif
Mickey

BritBox

Jedi Hopeful
Hi L. Jeff,

Restoration?

Re-build?

Re-manufacture?

For my car, I use "reanimation". In the Frankenstein sense.

If you want your car projects to make other people happy, go into the auto restoration business. If you want to make yourself happy, pick a car you love and dump your money and time into it. Tell those other people to shut up and go bring you another cold beer while you tweak your carbs.

Enjoy your TR6,

danstr6

If you're bored and need something to do, feel free to come to Iowa. I'm in the middle of a "Total Ressurection" right now. Post your pictures sometime soon. Would also love more info on your rear disc brake and tube shock conversions. I'm looking at doing the same to my '76 TR6.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]designed and manufactured IN HOUSE rear disc brake conversion; all new front AND rear brake system installed (utilized Strange Engineering racing rotors and calipers); braided hoses front and rear; designed and manufactured IN HOUSE twin-rotor "Jaguar-style" parking brake system; [/QUOTE]

Rear disc brake conversion that actually works and has a parking brake??? Now that is something that I need to see more of!!

And where is this "in-house" manufacturing taking place?

You started this thread, so I hope that you have lots and lots of pictures........ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

OP
LearJeff

LearJeff

Freshman Member
I'm on a biz trip in New York and then it's off to China until the end of June. Hopefully, I'll get some pictures posted in the two days in between.

Thanks for the responses, it's good to know I'm not alone! It's also good to keep myself humble by seeing and hearing about all the great stuff everyone else is doing. It's a funny thing, but just when you think you've gone beyond beyond, someone else has gone even further.

I LOVE this stuff! Pictures are coming soon. I actually have some really great ones of the rear disc brake conversion along with good views of the "Jag-style" twin-rotor parking brake. Now that set-up is pretty cool, even if I do say so myself!

As far as the in-house manufacturing goes, it all took place at my great friend Steve's race car shop. Oh, and as far as the designing goes, most of that took place inside Steve's head with the occasional use of a cocktail napkin. I was just there mostly for moral support and to write the checks...

We'll yack at you guys soon.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
You need to get this stuff posted and soon!!! No fair going out of town after a post like that.

Functional and safe rear disk brakes on a TR6 is like finding the Holy Grail.

Or the secret to Crypty's bad attitude......