• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Front turn signal wiring question on my post 60000 TR3A

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
So, I'm sitting here looking at the terminals on my 2 repro front turn signal lampe and not quite sure where to put the wires. I know where the ground goes and I know which pigtail goes to the drivers side and which one goes to the passenger side. There are two barrel terminals on the lamp at the top. I suspect that it matters which terminal the striped wire goes to and which one the red goes to.
There are two filiments in each bulb, should be a clue but still not sure.

So any guidance would be very much appreciated!

Thanks, Tinkerman

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
You want to end up with the red wire going to the lower wattage filament in the dual filament bulb.

Every time I work with these I have to again look up how to tell which bulb terminal is which.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I just try them out. Pull the switch to the first position, which should make the red wire hot. Connect the ground, then touch the red wire to each terminal. The one that gives a visibly dimmer light is where it goes.

Of course usually, I connect the short subharness to the bulb holder first; in which case I use a DC power supply for the test. A 12v battery would do as well, but you have to be a bit more careful not to short it out. But in a pinch, you could do it on the car.

Yet another alternative : Use an ohmmeter to determine which filament has the highest resistance. That one gets the red wire.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Here's the sort of diagram I usually have to look up:

ParkSignalLamp.jpg

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Thanks guys! that answers my question.

Geo where do you look that type of info up?

Dick

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
It must be a Lucas diagram.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Am I missing something, or does this diagram contradict itself? IIRC, the bulb on the RH side of the diagram is correctly identified as to which filament is which.
It does seem to contradict itself. But I have no idea which is correct.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Geez -- you can't believe everything you find on Google. And that was the neatest, clearest illustration I could find.

I think they confused rotating the bulb in the horizontal plane with rotating it in its axis -- anyway, they got confused.

Try this, noting that [tail = parking light] & [stop = brake or turn signal] and that you're looking at the side of the bulb with the 'higher' pin:

1157_taillight_zpsff987563.jpg

Or just pick your own:

https://www.google.com/#q=1157+diagram