• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Possible TR8

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've finally about gotten over the mistake of buying the Sunbeam Tiger SIGHT UNSEEN and I'm ready for another adventure into the world of (exotic ?) British automobiles.

Outside of the "normal" cautions about RUST, what are some of the dangerous/expensive items on an '8 to be watchful for. I have looked through the VB cat and there isn't much there. If I buy one of these things are there adequate parts available ? And are the parts priced like an MGB or more like an XKE ?

Been almost a year since I dumped the Tiger and I miss having a project. Thanks, Bob

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey, Bob --

Until Tony's death and the acquisition of one of his projects, I never thought I'd let my TR8 go. They either "speak" to you, or they don't; there's not much middle ground. The Rover V8 is a wonderful engine with lots of unrealized potential. Properly set up and tuned, they will give plenty of grins.

As for pricing of parts, they certainly aren't in XKE territory, but they aren't as readily available as MGB parts. However, there is a very good support system out there, and a dedicated following of enthusiasts. If you do look at some, be sure to check the floors behind the seats. Rust there is a definite death sentence, as there is a critical rear suspension link there. Also, check out the front strut towers and the area below the brake and clutch master cylinders.

Woody at the Wedge Shop is a great, friendly resource: https://www.thewedgeshop.com/

Keep us posted on your search!

Mickey

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
I have 2 TR8s that I'd be willing to sell, and I'm not that far away from you. One is fully restored, and one is undergoing a resto after I dragged it out of a garage in NJ this past Summer. It's been off the road since 95. Both are grey with blue and both have about 68K miles. They are going on Ebay in the Spring regardless. I'd love to help guide you along the path to TR8 ownership.

Attachments

• DSC03086.jpg
    DSC03086.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC03190.jpg
    DSC03190.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 125

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The TR8 is a bit of an acquired taste. Always thought they would be collectible by now....but not to be.

Parts are pretty much available...especially if you have a carb car. Fuel Injected cars are a bit harder although I have managed for 24 years without any real issues.

The Roadster Factory and Moss Motors are a bit disappointing in there support of the TR8. Rimmer brothers understands the car's nuances better. Which is odd considering the vast majority of the TR8's were sent to the US and you now you need to look to England for parts....weird huh?

The base engine is the old GM 3.5 liter that Jaguar bought back in the 1960's. It is robust and properly maintained will run a long time....mine is approaching 200,000 miles and never been a part.

The big thing is rust. If it has it keep looking. AS Mickey said the death cancer is the rust in the rear end by the trailing arm connection points.....but IMHO if the car has any rust, you will spend more than the value of the car getting rid of it. Find a nice clean example....

Popular upgrades include a three row radiator, GM alternator, metal oil pump gear in the tranny, 15" wheels, Posche radiator fans, etc....

There is a TR7/8 Owners Group, a TR8 Mailing list and quite a bit of support for parts and service issues in that group. You will not be alone I assure you :smile:

Best of luck!!!!

Last edited:

Randtor

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi Bob,

I have owned a number of TR8's over the years, and I have never had any problems sourcing parts. Woody att he Wedge Shop is a great friend, very involved with TR7's and TR8's, you have been given his website, but don't hesitate to call him, he spends lots of time on the phone. I was previously an officer of the TWOA (Triumph Wedge Owners Association) when we converted from the TR8 CCA back in 2007/2008. Here is the website:
https://www.triumphwedgeowners.org/

Like all car clubs, activity varies from month to month. But there is a great support team out there. Check the Wedge Shop website for a great forum as well.
My current TR8 has been tweaked a lot!
I had a stock TR8 for a number of years, but have since gone on to higher performance TR8's with lots of mods. There are lots of folks that stay stock, lots with mods, from a few to a lot. There is room in the club for all, TR7's and TR8's. We enjoy the differences, and spend lots of time chatting and comparing. I noticed you are in Dalton, MA. I am in Dartmouth, MA., not far from the Wedge Shop (Taunton). Give a shout if you need some help,, rand"at"torman"dot"net. Good luck! ~Rand

OP
Bob Claffie

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I guess my answer is "Why not". I like roadsters and I like V8's. I have a vintage Corvette and a Factory Five cobr* replica. I recently attempted another Sunbeam Tiger restoration (I have already had two) but it was a total rust bucket. And Daimler SP250's are too scarce. That doesn't leave many/any other candidates. If the TR8 idea doesn't pan out I will probably end up adding a late model Corvette to the mix.

Over the years I have owned a couple Spitfires, a TR3, two big Healeys, an old Jag , a fine Elan,a pair of MGB's and currently also have a Miata. In years past I would alternate between large sports cars and small sports cars. At this point in my life I can indulge in whatever I want (within reason) and another V8 is calling me. Bob

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
If you find a good one, you'll love it!

They are most assuredly a well-kept secret.

Woody's close by -as is "Brosky", who bought mine. Check them out!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I say find a TR8 over getting another Vette, the 8 has more character.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I never thought I would like owning one, but I sure do now. I have done some things to take it beyond what Mickey did and the changes in the front and read end are not for everyone, but I never fail to get a grin or wave from any new or old sports car owner.