• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Possible cam Plug leak on my New TR6 Engine

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Possible cam Plug leak on my New TR6 Engine

I have my engine back in and have been driving it as I tune the webers, well seems I have a major oil leak. when I got the engine back from the dyno, I took the back plate off to repaint it and noticed a small weep of oil around the Cam plug, talked to my engine builder and he said I should replace it since oil leaks never cure them selves. Well got a new plug, got the one out. cleaned the area and new cap plug. put some permtex on it and gently hammered it in using I think a 1.5 pipe nipple that fit inside the plug, So fast forward, when I drive and get home lots of oil dripping off the oil pan and down the back plate, so I got some of the UV dye and the UV light to see if I can trace the leak(will do that later today) but in 300 miles I have lost a quart of oil. So guessing its got to be a leak thats under pressure. if its the cam plug, the transmission will have to come back out, clutch off, flywheel off, back plate off, then get the cam plug back out, question is how the heck do you seal these things and how do you check it before you put it all back together????????? UGGGGGGG

I was even thinking about heating up the new cam plug in a molten lead bath to put a thin layer of lead on the plug hoping the soft lead would seal any imperfections since the permatex didnt work,

thats if its the cam plug

well one thing is seems the tension on the 3 and 4 gear detent notch in the transmission is not right and the transmission is popping out of 3rd on deceleration. so that has to be adjusted, but I didnt have to pull the tranny to do that, so from there removing the clutch flywheel and back plate are a breeze.

Hondo

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Re: Possible cam Plug leak on my New TR6 Engine

I had a similar leak, but not as much oil. It was dripping off the bottom of the back plate and finding its way to the bottom of the bell housing. It turned out to be a leaking valve cover... <span style="font-style: italic">leaking at the back of the cover</span>.
I replaced the gasket with a silicon gasket and no more leak... at least from that area!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Do you have a copper gasket on the plug going into the back of the head that is right on the main oil galley? That can run right down into the bell housing.

As in where the arrows are pointing below:

Attachments

• 26507.jpg
    26507.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 308
OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader

well with the dye I found one leak, the oil filter adapter was leaking pretty bad, once I got it off that round/ square o ring had a gouge and tear in it, must have boogered it up when I installed it or repositioned the housing so the filter would clear the frame and not unloosened the bolt quite enough, replaced it and so far no leak there, the bolt in the head is not leaking and the valve cover gasket is fine, so I will run it and reinspect for more leaks, Might have sneaked passed the major cam plug one. but the oil pan bolt is still weeping just slightly, next oil change teflon tape will be used too

Hondo

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

OK, well that is progress so keep us posted.

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader

well took the TR6 out for a drive and it appears my oil leak is solved, now back to tuning the Webers, I switched out the 28 mm chokes for 30mm so retuning is in order, still running rich, cant believe I might need 32mm chokes I am already running a 115 main jet and 180 air corrector jet and F15 emulsion tube.

Hondo

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader

leak solved. gasket in the oil filter adapter, so this thread is CLOSED

no more leaks!

Hondo

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Great news....much better than pulling the tranny again.