• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How is it possible...

AH_3000

Ooohh almighty gearheads...

Did a real good spin with the BJ8 today - thought I should blow out all the dust from this cold winter - But, arriving to the garage, lifting the bonnet - oil is running from undernieth the Austin sticker/label on the rocker cover...Not much, but enough to make a mess and make me worried...Normal? I don't know - it leaks "normally" from some other places, but here??? Please explain and tell me if I should be worried...

Best

Chris

D

Deleted member 8987

I would pull the cover, look under it in the area you suspect the leak to be coming from.
Is there a baffle, where a spot weld has come loose (just a WAG)?
Is there a crack in the cover?
Did some PO drill a hole in the cover to mount something and cover it with a tag?
Is your tag stick-on or rivetted on?

Country flag
If your crankcase is (too) pressurized you'll get leaking around the valve cover (and elsewhere, like the rear main bearing). Make sure the vent pipe from the crankcase through the 'T' fitting on the valve cover to the air cleaner on the rear carb is open and clean. You may want to pull the valve cover and check the 'T' fitting, IIRC there is a baffle plate under it which could be crudded up.

The main symptom of worn rocker arm/bushes is lower-than-expected oil pressure. There is a place in Northern California that rebuilds rocker shafts for about $100 (shipping might be a bit high for you, though).

D

Deleted member 8987

Bob- I know all about high crankcase pressure.....BTDT.
But, how does that cause oil from UNDER the valve cover sticker?
And nowhere else? At least, not reported anyplace else.

Most I have seen are rivetted on, and I suspect a loose rivet.
His term "sticker" has me puzzled.

Dave

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
AH_3000 said:
Ooohh almighty gearheads...

Did a real good spin with the BJ8 today - thought I should blow out all the dust from this cold winter - But, arriving to the garage, lifting the bonnet - oil is running from undernieth the Austin sticker/label on the rocker cover
:savewave:
If you are talking about the riveted on Austin Label
Then it is not a big problem. Just pull the valve cover clean it inside around the rivits and seal them with a spot of JB Weld.---Fwiw--Keoke

...Not much, but enough to make a mess and make me worried...Normal? I don't know - it leaks "normally" from some other places, but here??? Please explain and tell me if I should be worried...

Best

Chris

OP
AH_3000

AH_3000

Guys,

probably it's my English...since I'm Swedish, it's only my second language. Anyhow, it isn't a "sticker", the Austin label is riveted on, which means that it could be a rivet could have come loose, letting oil out that way...To me, it sounds normal that oil is spraying inside the rocker cover, but non-normal to let it seep out via a rivet in the cover? Am I right or wrong?

I'll lift the rocker cover and investigate further. When I'm at it, I'll check the "T" as well. Thanks for inputs - I'm learning every day!

Best

Chris

OP
AH_3000

AH_3000

Here is the cover (small picture but anyhow...)

Attachments

• 21373.jpg
    21373.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 535

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
AH_3000 said:
Guys,

probably it's my English...since I'm Swedish, it's only my second language. Anyhow, it isn't a "sticker", the Austin label is riveted on, which means that it could be a rivet could have come loose, letting oil out that way
Yes the rivets have become loose in their bore.Consequently oil mist will collect there and leak out under the "Austin Label"--Keoke :yesnod:

...To me, it sounds normal that oil is spraying inside the rocker cover, :nonono:[ No not normal at all]

It is not normal to have oil spraying inside the rocker cover. If you have small or large gushers of oil coming off the rocker assembly. The rocker is significantly worn and needs attention.
This is easy checked by running the engine with the rocker cover off. If you see the oil gushers it is worn.---Keoke :yesnod:

but non-normal to let it seep out via a rivet in the cover? Am I right or wrong?

I'll lift the rocker cover and investigate further. When I'm at it, I'll check the "T" as well. Thanks for inputs - I'm learning every day!

Best

Chris

ah3000, is there anything now different in the sound of your engine as far as how it sounded before you put the car to bed for the winter?, perhaps a more noticable "tapity tap", has the oil gotten "darker" as in dirty?, hard to tell from your picture but the oil looks dark and grity, :savewave:

OP
AH_3000

AH_3000

The previous state is hard to tell - bought my Healey in January, and shipped it over to Sweden. This is why I'm now trying to do some damage control and to really learn the state of the car. I know, should have been done before, but not easy in the wintertime. It drives and looks very sound, but I guess there is always something with these cars...?

I'm an amateur yet, but give me a couple of years...Thanks for inputs! I'll investigate during my vacation next week...what a wonderful way to spend the holiday :wink:. Changing oil will be on the list...

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
The later BJ8's did indeed have a "sticker" rather than the metal plates. The later stickers do not look nearly as cool.

Country flag
TOC said:
Bob- I know all about high crankcase pressure.....BTDT.
But, how does that cause oil from UNDER the valve cover sticker?
And nowhere else? At least, not reported anyplace else.

Most I have seen are rivetted on, and I suspect a loose rivet.
His term "sticker" has me puzzled.
Dave

Just a SWAG. High pressure in the valve cover could cause leaking anywhere (I've seen it come through an otherwise effective gasket). I thought maybe if he looked around he might find leaking elsewhere, too. It seemed a stretch you'd have a really high-pressure stream from a rocker, and proper rivet attachments are usually pretty well sealed.

My mid-production BJ8 has stickers; AFAIK all the BJ8s had stickers. That might be a valve cover from an earlier car, or someone has retrofitted the riveted placards. If so, it might not be a 'watertight' fit.

Country flag
AH_3000 said:
... It drives and looks very sound, but I guess there is always something with these cars...?

True, but so far I've not heard of any instances of (unintentional) runaway acceleration, brakes that don't work right (only) if you're going over bumps or schizoid computers in a Healey.

I recommend an electronic ignition--I like Pertronix--and electronic SU fuel pump (keep your other for a spare--and learn how to remove and replace them). Otherwise, fix what breaks, keep an eye on the other stuff and talk nice to her and you will be a happy man.

OP
AH_3000

AH_3000

Guys,

I've now changed the oil and put new rivets on - looks good and no leaking. The ventilation was checked OK, so I do believe that the problem is solved. Still quite a lot of leaking elsewhere, especially between engine and the gearbox. Under cotrol so far - the car haven't been used much the last 2 years after a rebuild, so let's hope my usage makes it better. I'll rather not repack the engine...

Thank's for your help!

Chris

Steve Huneck

Country flag
I may have had the same problem. The same symptoms anyway. It turned out my rocker shaft was worn, and oil was gushing out of the oil holes in the shaft. A quick check; unscrew the oil filler cap and peek inside with a flashlight while the engine is running, oil should be running out of the holes in the rocker shaft, but not gushing. Removing the cover will really let you know if you have this problem. Norman Nock wrote a few articles on the subject, and the fix is not that painful.

Steve