• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Poly Bushings

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Ok so I am re-assembling my front suspension with poly bushings on my 64 B.

I know the A-arms are supposed to pivot on te shaft so,,,
Does this mean I only apply lube to the inside of the bushings and on the shaft?

No lub should go on the outside of the bushing to lube inside the A-arm correct?

Other problem is with the poly bushings in I cannot get the castle nut on low enough to get the split pin in.

Any advice?

Jay

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I greased everything and have no problems. I could not get some components together but used a clamp to squeeze everything together to assemble.

Did you go with the Purple Poly bushings?

OP
Jayrz

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Well I came back from the hardware store after having tightened down and they are now going together correctly and was even able to get the split pins in.

Can't wait to get the car back down on the ground!

I have poly bushings coming for my B. I think I'm gonna pull the whole crossmember, and repaint it too. Any other good tips?

OP
Jayrz

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Good Tips,,

I polished the shafts of the pivot bar and assembled everything with permatex antiseize compound which is a paste like grease and "silvery". The guys at Sports Car Craftsman say its better than grease because it won't rinse out as easily and stays put.

When re-assembling I bolted the lower A-frame and spring pan together, mounted my rebuilt spindle and then bolted the pivot rod to the cross member. Letting it hang I inserted the spring and used a floor jack under the spring pan to compress the spring and bring it up into position then more antiseize paste inside the new poly bushings for the top trunion and slide the bolt in.

Went together pretty easy. Suspension movement is nice and absolutely no slop anywhere!

Man I can wait to drive it but I have these rear leaf springs to deal with next.

Steve_S

Yoda
If the bushings don't allow the nut to tighten to the proper torque with the pin in place, then I would return them. Superflex is my first choice, followed by Super Pro brand. The best types have a stainless steel insert to ride on, and are machined rather than molded. Use poly bushing lube generously on all hidden surfaces of the bushing and on any surface they touch.

If you're determined to make your bushings fit, you can use thinner washers under the castle nut.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Does the stock washer have a slight reveal milled into the center hole to fit on the pivot better?

mk2sprite

Jedi Hopeful
I installed a set of Super Pro on my MkII Sprite and renewed everything, it drives and handles like a dream. I use the copper anti Seize on the bolts and the poly grease all over everything else.
Getting ready to do my Mgb Gt amd was considering the Auto Bush brand, they look very good, still trying to decide/? anyone have any good sources for good poly bushings?
Mike

I ordered the Moss set.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Maybe the step was there from years of rubbing against the shoulder. I've seen most this way and never purchased new. Probably supposed to be flat.