• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

PL700 and PL700 information needed

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Can anyone tell me the date of production for the Lucas PL700 and P700 headlights? Also, does anyone know the difference between the two models as far as lighting, bulb type, etc?
Any information would greatly be appreciated.
Kevin

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
these are PL700

im just not sure of the difference
DSC07730.jpg

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
P700s are the earlier of the two, dating back to the 1950s. They're distinguishable by the round emblem with LUCAS on it in the center of the tripod. I don't have my catalogues handy, but ISTR the P700 took a typical pre-focus headlamp bulb common to most other Lucas 700 series (home market) headlamps.

The PL700 is later, pretty much 1960s vintage. They're easily spotted by the somewhat triangular "shield" in the center. Again, ISTR the ones I had took a "Type A" headlamp bulb, which had a three-prong plug built into the base of the bulb.

Originally, both took tungsten bulbs, so they can't begin to compare with any of today's halogen (or better) bulbs. But in both cases (and I put many miles on a TR3A with P700s and a Spitfire Mk3 with PL700s), lighting was substantially better than with the readily available tungsten-filament sealed beams of the day. The light pattern was not quite as distinct as, say, a good Cibie* of the period, but it was much better than a typical GE, Tung-Sol or whatever sealed beam from Western Auto or your local Esso station!

*As much as I loved the Lucas lamps, I did have a set of Cibie "Optique" headlamps (I think that was the name) that took the same Type A bulb as the PL700, but with the typically wonderful Cibie lens that beautifully focused the low beam pattern out directly in front with a low, sharp cutoff, and a nice diagonal sweep up and off to the RH side of the road:

____/

(Above: really bad ASCII depiction of light pattern!)

Halkett

Freshman Member
Andy,

…may I ask a follow up question on the ciebe units you had...I have a set on my car that are concave, that is to say they don’t bulge out but rather in. I would have included an image - but I can’t recall how at the moment (I am a frequent reader but not a poster as my tr6 / mechanical experience is quite limited...)

Are these similar to the units you had or have seen in the past... I have yet to see a TR6 similarly equipped and am wondering if there is a new or used source for these and or where I might find a replacement as one of mine is starting to peel on the inside (presumably caused by some moisture finding its way in past the lamp boot). I have looked at the usual places and am just about to give up my search and put in the new reproduction PL’s for the spring.. also is there a way the peeling ciebe be restored?

Thanks to all, Stephen
www.triumphowners/795

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Steve, I suspect you have the same headlights; I'd meant to mention that the lenses were concave! I've not really looked to see what's out there beyond a very occasional glance on eBay and the like. There are companies that can resilver the reflectors, but I suspect that would cost a good bit more than a good used (or even NOS) replacement.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Had those Cibie on my Lotus Cortina. Was a bugger to pass inspection.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Are you saying that the face of the lamp was actually dished inwards? Never heard of that, seems an odd thing to do. Flat is common, of course; and convex (dished outwards) was normal; but not concave.

Tried to Google for the Cibie Optiques, but stymied by the fact optique is such a common word in French.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Correct, Randall: dished inwards, as well as being nicely "patterned" glass (for direction of the light, resulting in that really nice, sharp cutoff I referred to above).

And I can't say for sure if it was the only lamp labeled "Optique" by Cibie; actually, I suspect it wasn't (based on some very quick Google searching I did)!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
...Flat is common, of course; and convex (dished outwards) was normal; but not convex.

<span style="font-weight: bold">RANDALL...</span> I know you mean and "convex (dished outwards) was normal; but not<span style="font-weight: bold"> concave.</span>" :devilgrin:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
martx-5 said:
<span style="font-weight: bold">RANDALL...</span> I know you mean and "convex (dished outwards) was normal; but not<span style="font-weight: bold"> concave.</span>" :devilgrin:
D'oh !

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have a set of original PL700's on my 69 TR6,and I am quite happy with them. I was thinking of getting a pair of P700's for a Bugeye sprite I am restoring for my wife. Based on what you have shared so far, it sounds like they are the correct for the time period. Does anyone know if the light dispersion is about the same for both?
Kevin

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
ichthos said:
it sounds like they are the correct for the time period.
Only for non-US-spec cars. They were not legal in the US at the time (and possibly are not now, depending on how you interpret the law).

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
TR3driver said:
ichthos said:
it sounds like they are the correct for the time period.
Only for non-US-spec cars. They were not legal in the US at the time (and possibly are not now, depending on how you interpret the law).
True enough...also true of the PL700, the Cibie lamps we've also spoken of here, and just about any other non-sealed-beam headlamp of the period! :smile: