• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Information for front crank seal - TR6

davidk

Jedi Trainee
I was planning to change out the front oil seal on my TR-6 this weekend, but it was backordered from my favorite vendor (they really usually are my favorite vendor).

Does anyone know of a "cross over" or reference number that I could take to my local auto parts store?

Thanks for your help!

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I was able to look it up with Napa:

Attachments

• 24741.png
    24741.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 355

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I just did mine two weeks ago and the photo below is the seal I used. I also installed a new sleeve since my original had a groove in it.
Important: It is a royal PITA to get the timing cover back on because of the timing chain tensioner. I made a wire hook and pulled it out of the way in order to re-install the timing cover.... then you have to fish out the wire hook :wall:

Edit: The seal was about $7 locally from an industrial supply company
Edit: I just looked at the part number in Darrell's post above... it's the same part number.

Attachments

• 24744.jpg
    24744.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 343

hondo402000

Darth Vader
yes that cover is a PITA to get back on I ended up banging it on with my hand and hit the timing pointer and punched a nice hole in my palm

Hondo

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I put a new key in when I rebuilt the engine so there was no need to remove it just to replace the seal.

One more heads up... you will have to keep the crank from turning to loosen the crank bolt.
Here's what I did....

Attachments

• 24747.jpg
    24747.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 333

simpson

Gliderman8 said:
I put a new key in when I rebuilt the engine so there was no need to remove it just to replace the seal.

One more heads up... you will have to keep the crank from turning to loosen the crank bolt.
Here's what I did....

That's pretty ingenious rig to hold the crank.

But, I thought the woodruff key had to be off the crank in order not to foul up the seal when putting the timing cover back on. I guess its large enough to clear the key. Must be thinking about something else I have to put back on that I need the key out for.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Simpson-
If my memory is right, I think the only time you would have to remove the key is to replace the oil thrower that sits behind it.
I just went into the garage and removed the timing cover to take this photo for you... hope it helps :jester:

Attachments

• 24776.jpg
    24776.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 270

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Doesn't even the oil slinger have a notch in it, so it can slip over the key? I'm pretty sure the TR3 version does.

simpson

Elliot, Thank you for doing that!!! I remember now, I was just thinking I might need to shim the new crank sprocket when I go to reassemble the engine that is undergoing a rebuild if it does not align (in terms of being on the same plane) with the new cam sprocket. the key would have to come out for the shims. I have my oil thrower off, and it has a key slot so that must not be the reason. I took it all apart in Dec. and have run into a slow (busy) machine shop, so I have forgotten some stuff.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
TR3driver said:
Doesn't even the oil slinger have a notch in it, so it can slip over the key? I'm pretty sure the TR3 version does.

You are probably right Randall... honestly I was going from memory which can be dangerous!
In replacing the front oil seal I didn't have to remove it; I'll check my diagram but as I said you are probably correct in that it is keyed.

edit: I just re-read simpson's post and he writes <span style="font-style: italic">"I have my oil thrower off, and it has a key slot...."</span>