• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Pix of the new TR7, plus driving impressions

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
tr7a.jpg

tr7b.jpg

tr7c.jpg

tr7d.jpg

These are pix before I started cleaning and tweaking.

Found a loose spark plug, which might indicate why there was a variable misfire, mixture looks good. Carbs look new, and the piston movement is perfect, which leads me to believe the backfire is exhaust-leak related. The hose between the manifold and the carb box (hot air return) is thrashed, but I'm not sure this is the culprit.

I raised the tire pressure (only 21 in front and in the rear.) Went up to 33 front, 29 rear.

I don't care what people said in the day. The TR7 is FUN. It handles like a slot car, with zero body roll. Once I can figure-out the backfire and fix the deceleration bypass issue, this thing will be one great little sports car!
grin.gif
With the high-revving two-litre, it's basically a poor-man's Lotus.

And I also think it looks great...the wedge look is coming back, I tell you. Look at the "edgy" look in the new Corvette and Japanese cars.

I'm hooked!
driving.gif

MichaelF

Wonderful and thanks for the pix!! You will really enjoy the car.

If you think it handles well now -- spend a few hundred to get new shocks and struts in place and drop in some urethane bushes. It is amazing and totally worth it.

PS -- keep the read tartan interior. It is so ugly and totally 70's !!

steve99

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the pics Sam I like the color as well and would probly keep that interior to. I agree also that once you get the mechanicals sorted out you'll like it even more.
thumbsup.gif

Mark Beiser

Jedi Warrior
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MichaelF:
PS -- keep the read tartan interior. It is so ugly and totally 70's !!<hr></blockquote>

Haha, its so ghastly, its what I'm going back with in my car when I get to that point! It will make a great contrast to the black exterior.

My favorite ugly but cool TR7 color combo is triton green with green tartan interior!

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Oh, the tartan red is definitely staying. The question will be if the red carpets stay. I'm going to find some carpets to replace them (since they are so faded and worn.) Probably will stick w/red.

But in the mean time, my big issue is fixing that horrible backfire! Plugs show perfect mixture, the pistons on the carbs have perfect movement. Must be an exhaust leak? The hot air return (manifold to airbox)tube is bad, but I don't think that's the problem.

I might post a separate thread to discuss this.

MichaelF

Re the backfire.

Check the timing first and then ALL the spaghetti tubes running around the carbs. Get a manual with a good picture for that year because 50% of the time they are wrongly installed.

It won't be that big hot air tube, ugly as it may look. It might be the air pump to air gallery section or the bypass vale in the carbs sticking.

It's vaguely possible the cam chain has slipped a link but I think you'd have dreadful perfromance to go with backfire. It's very easy to check.

Plugs wrong temp ?

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I am one of these odd people who really like TR7s. I actually even like the coupe better. Anyway looks like a fun ride!

V

vagt6

Congrats on the TR7 purchase. Your comments on the handling remind me of my first impression of my GT6s handling. I found it to hand pretty well when I first bought the car. However, after overhauling the suspension handling was vastly improved.

Modern upgrades to the suspensions (i.e., modern shocks, poly bushes, new coils, etc.) of these cars can make a profound difference.

Good luck with your TR7, keep us informed on the work.

Alan Black

Your comments on the handling just remind me more and more that I need to get new shocks on mine. I'm still running the original shocks on mine and it definately has that "Town Car" feel. Hopefully I'll get that taken care of soon. Good to see another wedge around, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the car.

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MichaelF:
Re the backfire.

It won't be that big hot air tube, ugly as it may look. It might be the air pump to air gallery section or the bypass vale in the carbs sticking.
<hr></blockquote>

The decel bypass valves are definitely sticking/floating. Didn't realize that could cause the backfire. I'm still learning Stromberg theory. It's on my list to try the maintenance procedure (in the manual) of resetting them. The previous owner said the car recently started backfiring, but who knows if it's accurate.

As for the suspension, in 1999 (1500 miles ago) the struts and shocks were all replaced, plus some other bits. Since I write about cars, I'm test driving all types of new and collector cars, and while the TR7 isn't the most supple, smooth or sophisticated handler, it's on the level of some of the best handlers up to that era. Basically, it feels like a go kart. I'm wondering what the car would do with some autocross tires!?!

Izual Angel

Jedi Trainee
Lovely car. I love that tartan interior. I've got plain old tan in mine.

Kind of a footnote, since you'll see this eventually. The little metal plugs in the floor of the passenger compartment are replaceable. Mine rusted out, and you can get them from wedgeparts (I only know that retailer for sure). Hope that helps answer a question in the future.

Kind of a dumb question but, why do some TR7s have a blue valve cover, but some (mine included) have silver ones?

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
About the decel bypass valves . . .if the adjustment doesn't work (assuming the screw head isn't blanked off by a brass plug), you have 2 options: remove them and replace the diaphragm or (what I did) blank the passages off entirely with a gasket.

Rick O.

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Izual Angel:
The little metal plugs in the floor of the passenger compartment are replaceable. Mine rusted out, <hr></blockquote>

The amazing thing about this car is that there is absolutey zero rust anywhere...it's a miracle!

Mark Beiser

Jedi Warrior
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Izual Angel:
Kind of a dumb question but, why do some TR7s have a blue valve cover, but some (mine included) have silver ones?<hr></blockquote>

I have seen this question come up several times on different forums. Someone in the UK did some research on it and came up dry on finding a definitive answer.

Suposedly they were all silver from the factory, exept that some were blue, and also some were black. There don't seem to be any records of what was "correct" for any particular year.
crazyeyes.gif

To make it even more fun, dealers often seem to have done things like paint the "Triumph" lettering on the valve cover to tart up the engine compartment. I have seen at least 8 different color combinations on TR7 valve covers that were all like that when the first owner took delivery of the car...

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Reminds me of the statements made in "The Original TR2/TR3" book regarding Triumph colors and options. Essentially, when it came to factory colors on a sidescreen TR, you could basically get anything, provided you had money to pay.

And sometimes, TR2s and TR3s came with frames painted in various body colors (whatever was in the other guns if they ran out of black.) There have been sightings of powder blue cars with British racing green frames!

This is a very nice ride! Best wishes and Happy Motoring! Can I take a drive???
driving.gif
When I had mine and my friend had the exact same car 76 Vics we used to call them machinas Spanish for machine. Hows your machina today? would be how we greeted each other. And heck yeah it corners like its on rails but experiment with the tire pressure to find the best handling oversteer and underteer to your liking. When I first got mine I was so psyched with the handling I went to work and turned the curve to the parking lot let off the gas and learned one of my first driving errors. Never let off the gas in a curve! The back slid around a little and almost hit the parking lot ticket machine! I scared myself! Went into work thinking about the huge door dent that I almost got on my two day old car! Not to mention what I would have told my boss. Oh did I say I used to work for the airport parking facility.

[ 03-12-2004: Message edited by: Langelo DeMysterioso ]</p>

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
A week ago, a guy made me an offer to buy his TR7 convertible - BRG with minor body damage - $3000...if anybody's interested, email me & I'll give you his contact info.

Ernst Blofeld

Here's an odd thought, if you were considering a TR7 with a bit more go: a SAAB Turbo engine.

Apparently, Triumph designed the slant four in the late Sixties, and SAAB asked very nicely if they could use it.

In fact, SAAB was the first to use the engine (as a 1.7 litre unit) in the 99.

Later on, the Swedes completely redesigned the unit - they made it reliable and went down the turbo route, whilst Triumph was happy (!) with the unit's reliability and developed the UK-only 16V Dolomite Sprint engine that appeared in 1973 - the world's first mass produced 4 valve per cylinder engine. They also developed the slant four into the 3-litre Stag V8.

Then in the mid-Eighties SAAB produced a 16v Turbo for the 900 and 9000 and continued to use this engine up till the Nineties.

So I wonder if a SAAB 16V turbo mightn't go nicely in a TR7?

Alternatively, a Rover (nee Buick V8) from a Range Rover might be fun...

Bob Buxbaum

Jedi Hopeful
In that I have a TR8 with shorter springs, I am thinking that your TR7 has already been lowered, based on the picture. It just seems to be sitting a bit lower than 7's normally do. It would also explain why it doesn't lean much in corners.

Now, to the set up goodies. Konis, lower springs (if you do not already have them), put some REAL pads and shoes in the brakes, and get some non-R rated Yoks or Kuhmos. Just watch out for the trailing throttle oversteer.

As to the bushing, please take note. (Been there, done that.) In the front end install the sway bar lowering blocks, and replace EVERYTHING (including the subframe mounts) with poly bushings. In the back it is best to install the hard rubber bushings. The reason is that you will have some real strange issues since the poly will not yield and the four point control arms will fight each other as they move through their travel. The hard rubber will control the suspension just fine.

You would think that this would result in a harsh ride, but it doesn't. If your car doesn't have a three turn rack try to find one of those to quicken the steering. Oh, mount the rack with poly bushings, too.

Let us know if you get arrested for having a sh#t eating grin in traffic! You will not belive how it will handle.