• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Permanent Garage Advice Needed

RobT

Jedi Warrior
Well as per my earlier post, I will be building a new garage to house my beloved Triumph some time in the next 3 to 6 months. It will be a stand-alone structure with enough space for 2 cars and a pretty decent workshop. Also perhaps a mezzanine (for parts/junk storage).

So what would your "must haves" be for a new garage?

I am thinking at least the following:
- Nice smooth epoxy coated floor
- Plenty of power outlets (including at least 1x240V for an arc welder)
- Lots of fluorescent lighting
- Ceiling/wall mounted radiant type heaters for those cold New England winters
- Built-in work bench surfaces along at least two walls
- Big industrial sink

I was also toying with putting in a car hoist, but that may be over-kill for a weekend mechanic such as myself. Also wondering if an I-beam with block-and-tackle is a useful addition or if a floor engine crane is fine should I ever have to pull the motor out.

Anything I missed?

Thanks again for any insights folks can offer from their own experience.

Rob.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
I would consider north facing sky lights and a ceiling height of at least ten feet to allow for engine removal. A car hoist is a fun idea, but for a weekend mechanic, it will be more in your way then used. My preferences for the rare time I need to remove engines is to rent a floor engine hoist or reinforce and brace a rafter and use a come-a-long.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
You can put it between your tennis court and bowling alley right next to your indoor built in pool!
LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Tomster

Jedi Knight
Have the foundation wall poured with a 6 - 8 inch curb and a sump in the center of the pad
-OR- go all out and put in a pit !!

Tomster

Jedi Knight
Sorry I forgot, H+C water would be nice as well as one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif fridge (just for your friends) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif ya know...

OP
RobT

RobT

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
You can put it between your tennis court and bowling alley right next to your indoor built in pool!
LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey - I own a Triumph, not a Jag! Closest to a built-in pool on this place is the septic tank. LOL

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
haaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

just in Jest! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
There are two things I'd suggest:
1) Get a Griot's Garage Catalog (www.griotsgarage.com). It has tons of stuff you'd want in a dream garage, so just looking at the tools/cabinets/lights will definitely spark an idea or ten.

2)Either get "Dream Garages" (I think that's the name of the book) from a book store (or online) or go tour some local dream garages owned by collectors in your area. People have some great ideas for making car work easier. My friend installed lights in the floor in his dream garage, along with a cable hook-up so he can watch tv/listen to digital music stations. I have a laptop with a wireless connection in mine. You want to make sure you have all the space, storage and tools necessary to have fun in the garage.

roofman

Jedi Knight
Let's see: cable tv to watch the game while working on your car, internet access to order parts and view this forum, a safe hiding place to hide the reciepts for all the stuff you will order for your car, telephone hookup, beer fridge, stainless steel gas grill, bathroom so you never need to actually leave the garage till bedtime.I would also go for some type of car hoist system, sand blasting cabinet, and last but not least a couple of girly calenders.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
why not just bring the bed and wife in with ya, you could live there...

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
One thing I have been very happy with is the electric outlets in my garages. I have always installed them 4 feet off the ground and very frequent (I put them every 6 feet along the wall). No need to bend down to plug things in (inside the house looks matter so they can be low but in my garage they need to be high) and there is always on within reach.

OP
RobT

RobT

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
why not just bring the bed and wife in with ya, you could live there...

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a guy not far from here, in Gloucester MA, who has his car collection housed in a renovated fire house (complete with pole). He lives upstairs. Very cool setup.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
I had a wonderful garage at a house I owned some years ago in Colorado.

It was about 30x30' with a 11-12' ceiling and heated. An old crawlspace-type forced air heater was simply hung from the rafters, worked well keeping it to 50-60F, which is plenty IMHO.

It had two 9-10" tall roll up doors and separate tool room, office and even half bath (very handy, kept grease out of the house!). We bought a cheap used over/under washer and dryer to stick in the corner to clean rags, etc. There was also a large industrial sink. The house had a central vac system, and there was an outlet for that in the garage, too.

The separate house was 20-25 years older, the garage had literally just been built by the previous owner when I bought the house. He had to sell when he found out the hardest possible way that, no, he couldn't have an automotive upholstery business in a residential neighborhood. He found that out right after building the garage for the purpose... So, be sure to check your zoning codes before turning over the first shovel-full of dirt!

I had to do some work on it all when I first moved. Everything was there but practically nothing worked (garage or house). Garage doors were "secured" by bending the latches, two openers weren't wired right, the central vac ran all the time when it was plugged in, the garage heater pilot light wouldn't stay lit (similar problems inside the house: brand new dishwasher didn't work, range had one working burner out of 4, humidifier on the heater system wasn't working, even roof trusses around a newer fireplace built where the old 1-car garage had been were under-engineered and needed reinforcement). The list went on and on and kept me busy for the first few months for the more critical items, for a year or two fixing some of the other, less urgent issues. It was all worth it, though!

While there, I usually had 3 cars (one was a full size conversion van... and the TR4, of course) and at least a couple motorcycles in the garage and never had any space concerns. It was great. Haven't had it so good, since... at least not garage-wise!

I do think an I-beam or two, for heavy lifitng, a good and possibly easy idea since it might be needed for structural support, too. You can put a trolley(ies) on it(them) and hang a chain hoist(s) to lift engines, pull bodies off, etc. Ten foot or higher ceiling is certainly nice, but I've managed with less (and a higher ceiling is harder to heat.

If you plan future restorations, or are a typical LBC pack rat, build in lots of storage space!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Ab Crevoiserat

Jedi Hopeful
All kidding aside, Heat and a Lift. Definitely not overkill. Think about how many times you raise and lower you car just to rotate the tires. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Speaking of heat, has anyone any experience with embedded heating in the floor? I know about infrared and radiant heat, and am sold on the concept, but am intrigued with the idea of a heating grid in the floor to augment the rest of the heating system.

Mickey

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
I could use an exhaust fan and /or port to exhaust tailpipe emissions-- especially when I want to keep rain/snow/heat/cold out and work on the car, disperse fumes, etc.
Air compressor
Ramps for raising the car easily-- I've heard of (and will looking for myself, a set that collapse almost flat when not in use.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of heat, has anyone any experience with embedded heating in the floor? I know about infrared and radiant heat, and am sold on the concept, but am intrigued with the idea of a heating grid in the floor to augment the rest of the heating system.

Mickey

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that's a great idea, although I've not seen it done in a garage specifically (have seen it done in slab on ground home construction). I think a radiant/hot water heating system could handle it all (how hot do you need a garage to be, anyway?), and probably would be a lot more efficient than any sort of forced air. It would be more expensive to install initially I'm sure, since some sort of grid of pipework in the floor would be needed, when the concrete is poured, but would likely pay for itself in a few years time. A couple other factors: On the one hand forced air picks up dust and circulates it, on the other hand, it will dry out moisture brought into the gar. on cars faster.

Shoot! I forgot about the girly calendars... am glad someone thought to mention 'em! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

While convenient for servicing cars, I'm not a big fan of pits. They can be dangerous! A lift would be great, but ramp and jacks are generally sufficient. A system to pull out exhaust is also a great idea. A plumbed in compressed air system would be cool, too.