• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Oil Pressure Warning Light...TR6

Flummoxed

Guys-
I pulled my Tach. to have it replaced. The tiny green oil pressure warning indicator was working fine before the pull. Now that I've re-installed the tach., this light does not work. I did replace the bulb, and it seems to seat correctly. Also, I'm sure it's the correct bulb. Is there something obvious I could be missing. I noticed there was a solid black wire with an eyelet that fits on to one of the posts on the back of the tach. Is there any other wire I could be missing, etc? Thanks very much.

T

Tinster

Flummoxed:

I am almost certain that black wire is a gounding wire.
None of the bulbs, lights, gauges on my car functioned
when we got it.

The I purchased Dan Masters' Triumph wire book. In it he
discuuses most propblems are grounding wire problems.

So I have run a seperate 12 ga black gound wire from every
bulb, gauge, etc directly to the car's frame.

All my light and bulbs now light up when I attach a battery.

Maybe you should get some 12 ga black wire, solder it to
the bulb holder and put the other end on a frame screw or
engine block screw.

I bet your bulb will light up.

But on the other hand, I know zip about TR6 wiring and my car is dead for almost 8 months in the garage.

d

G

Are you sure you are talking about the oil pressure light? The oil pressure indicator light on my tach is yellow . The little green light is the flash indicator and it is on the speedo.

Bill

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
My 74 TR6 has a golden colored oil pressure light. Located in the tach. It glows dimly when the key is in on position along with the square bezeled brake light on the dash. This is switched on an off by the oil pressure switch. Mine had loose contacts at the switch initially. Resolved that, but the spade contact on the switch later broke off. A replacement switch from Moss put everything right.

OP
F

Flummoxed

Interesting that yours if gold colored. Actually, according to what I've read, the 73 gauge oil pressure light should be gold. I think the p.o. put a previous (or later?) model year Tach. in the car. Nevertheless, it was previously working, because it would light up on turning the key, and dim slightly when I had low idle problems. Anyway, thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll prob. try the oil pressure switch, and go from there.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting that yours if gold colored. Actually, according to what I've read, the 73 gauge oil pressure light should be gold. I think the p.o. put a previous (or later?) model year Tach. in the car. Nevertheless, it was previously working, because it would light up on turning the key, and dim slightly when I had low idle problems. Anyway, thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll prob. try the oil pressure switch, and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not exactly sure which lights you are involved with. I think the oil pressure warning light should be either off or on, not in between (dim). The charge indicator light could be on, off, or dim. Since there are a number of lights in the dash, here is a list of most of them & the
corresponding wire colors for the 1973 TR6:

Alternator charge - A white & a brown/yellow
Brake failure - A black/purple & a white
Low oil pressure - A white/brown & a black/purple
Gage illumination, all - red/white & black
High beam indicator - A blue/white & a black
Turn flasher indicator - a green/white & a green

The blacks are all grounds

Hope this helps,
D

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
FOr reference, Page 9 of the 1974 TR6 owners manual in the section for Brake line failure Indicator (14) states When the ignition switch is turned on the "brake line failure" and the "low oil pressure" indicator lights glow faintly and are extinguished whe the engine is running. Should the failure of the front or rear brake lines occur, the indicator(14) will glow brightly. end quote. The wiring diagram shows that power for the oil pressure light and the Brake failure light is common source and when the ignition switch is turned on but not to start, the 2 lights use a common ground through the oil pressure switch. Once started and running with oil pressure, each light has it's own path to ground if a failure occurs. One being the oil pressure switch the other the brake light warning switch. This configuration causes the lights to be in series when in test mode and in parallel when in failure mode when in operation.6 volts dropped across each light versus 12 volts respectively. The book also calls the oil light orange. FWIW.