• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Not Spridget, but Evil Mini-Van question

RickB

Yoda
Ok, hurl your abuse at me now, I can take it.

Yes, we have a mini van as our family transportation.
It's a 2003 Kia Sedona.

Recently it was making a bit of noise up front on the passenger side so after looking at it I decided to roll the dice and take it to a shop.

The proprietor (mechanic) told me it was not the passenger side half shaft as I thought it was but was instead a "bad transmission". He proceeded to replace the serpentine belt (it was old and cracked), replace the trans fluid with new synthetic fluid and button it up.

The noises went away, it was driving very nicely, so we took it down to Oregon for the Labor day weekend (about a 240 mile drive one way).

On the way back we stopped to eat. When leaving I turned the wheel hard to the left and heard a great metallic sound followed by much grinding and popping etc...

After driving a short distance the noise was getting pretty loud and there was a smell of something getting hot, so I pulled off the road and looked it over.

There was smoke coming out from behind the passenger side wheel and the hub felt pretty hot.

None of the noises, smells or heat seem to have any association with the transmission whatsoever but are all centered around that passenger side half shaft.

Looking at it with a flashlight I could see the rubber boot on the inside of the wheel "hub" was melting.

We were at that time located on a small country back road in rural western Oregon. There was no cell phone service there. Only tree lined highway in either direction.

I decided to let things cool down then slowly move the van up the road to see if we could get cell service.

Everyone in the van was checking their phones to see if they could get service, then the front wheel started wobbling pretty hard and making more noise than ever so I pulled off.

None of the other family members was getting a signal, but I pulled out my Win Mobile phone and - woohoo I had 1 'bar'.

I called my father, who lives near there and he said he's come get us. So we turned on the lights inside (it was getting dark outside by this time) and we all pulled out books and started reading. About 90 minutes later my dad and his wife drive up with their two cars. They loaned us their Ford F150 truck that seats 6 so we could go home! SWEET!!

Ok - so I said there would be a question... and here it is at last:

What is there about a "bad transmission" that would cause the right front hub - C/V - half shaft heat up and melt down and try to fall apart? Or was the original mechanic just trying to turn a $100 job into a transmission replacement? :madder:

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
I am going to guess the front wheel bearing is bad and partially froze creating the heat and the sound. I had a similar sound on my accord thinking the trans was going out but it was the wheel bearings.

Mark

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I had googled for mechanics in the area where the van is and the lady who answered said they had a Kia in there recently with just exactly what you just said. Sounds like I may have found a good mechanic, too bad they are so far from where I live.

I was raised down there, and I let them know it just so they didn't think they were dealing with some out of state city slicker... I told them my dad could come over the hill from Jewell if they needed to see someone in person, but they said just to get the vehicle to them and they would do the rest. The tow truck people knew just where the van was as I described the place as "That pull-off where there's a big red gate" - she said "oh yeah, kinney brothers, I'll give them a call right now to make sure they leave your van alone".

bugimike

Yoda
Sounds like a bad bearing heating up and causing further damage to me! The wheel would not "wobble" with a bad tranny or even with a bad CV joint. I would also steer clear of that "mechanic"...he either did not know what he was talking about, OR had dollar signs influencing his diagnosis. Either way, he was the guy who really left you stranded by not taking care of a problem or the right problem when you took the vehicle to him!!

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
bugimike said:
he was the guy who really left you stranded by not taking care of a problem or the right problem when you took the vehicle to him!!

That was my wife's point of view, I am willing to let another mechanic look it over and give me his opinion.

I see it the way you do, I don't know what in the transmission could cause that kind of activity. Once the van is fixed, and if it is not the transmission after all... then I'll give the other guy a call. Best not go there in person, as things could get ugly that way.

JohnDough

Could also be that the wrong CV was fitted or not tightened and the initial sound was the bearing splitting causing the wheel wobble etc. I've seen a mechanic fit the wrong model's cv on an old Honda which worked fine until I took a corner with a car loaded with students, the wheel created enough force to split the bearing halves giving me plenty of vibration. Even though the CV was tightened it did not pull the bearing halves together as it was made for a slightly fatter bearing .

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
As far as I know the guy didn't even inspect it, let alone make any changes to the bearings or c/v joint.

He seems to have simply discounted it as a possibility and looked at my transmission and told me I needed a new one.

Hopefully I'll get information from the shop in Oregon today or tomorrow.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Think you got it, wheel bearing. hope it did not damage the spindle.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
No matter what it did it will cost less than a transmission replacement!!!

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
<span style="font-weight: bold">Update:</span>

The shop in Oregon called, they said the bearing is bad (duh) and the hub is wrecked and the c/v so I need a new hub, bearing and axle (half shaft). The hub is apparently only available from Kia but the rest from NAPA. So far the parts & labor is about $450.

Gee - so the mechanic here charged me $170 to replace the serpentine belt and the tranny fluid - neither of which I asked for - and not fix the bearing which was the cause of all the trouble. Nice! :madder: :madder: :madder: :madder:

To be fair - I told him I thought it might be the axle / half shaft and I didn't tell him I thought it might be the bearing...

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Well, you needed a belt and a tranny flush and refill (needed or not, good or bad I don't know) all for $170 isn't too bad. I say walk away. Life's too short. I hate taking my cars to a shop, by the time I take it in I've usually researched the issue to the point where I know about as much as they do, except how to fix it fast and get it right the first time, which is important on a car you NEED (unlike my Midget that can sit until I figure it out if needed). Maybe go back and tell him it was the axle "area" after all, "just thought I'd let you know". Maybe he'll give you some free oil changes or something.

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
and if the bearing failed on one side... you best be considering the other side as well, it has made just as many revolutions as the side that failed !

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Both very good points, I've resisted talking to the first guy simply because it's just not worth it. If I happen to see him out and about and he asks I'll tell him what happened, but otherwise I'll just mark him in my mind as one guy I'll never try again. This is a small town, there are not many mechanics here.

nomad

Yoda
Good idea to grab the tire and rock the vehicle back and forth every now and then. Caught the same problem on my sons high mileage Nissan not long ago. All that was needed were bearings and boots. Same with spridgets. Gives you suspension and bearing feedback.
KA.