• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New engine goes Vrooom....

Country flag
plut, plut, plut, splat...

But I think it is just a timing issue. I had it running at 2500-3000 rpms with only an occasional miss and finally it idled once it got to operating temperature. Oil pressure is good. Valves have been readjusted. I'm going to let it cool and give everything a once over and see if I can get it to smooth out before doing an actual test drive.

But first I need to rebleed the clutch and get the speedo wires plugged back in.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Woohoo!

Now we know it's spring. Here come the Vroom posts!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Way to go Trevor.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Everything is hooked up and running smooth.

Now I need to get the heater valve to quit leaking and I'll be ready for the first test drive.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Block it off, it's summer.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Congrats Trevor,

Looking forward to hearing the Ugly Bug go Vroom, Vroom if you make it to Dayton in August.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Water valve fixed, and test drive finished. It feels tight. I'll baby it for awhile and iron out kinks (like the header hitting the frame rail), then put the high boost pulley on it and see how it goes.

I think I need Jeff to rebuild a distributor for me.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
OK, planted five shrubs then went for another drive.

OK... my exhaust is LOUD. I might as well have a straight pipe. I knew it was going to be louder then the previous stainless steel unit. However, I wasn't expecting how much louder. I think I may be getting old.

Anyway... it seems to be running well. I might take it to a cruise-in on Friday night.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Time for that Harley Muffler Trevor.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Do you guys know which harley mufflers has an 1.75" inlet?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor,

I do believe most of them have a smaller size however on Bugsy I needed to get two adapters from Autozone to get things to the right size pipe. This also effectively lengthened the muffler a bit so it sticks out of the back end the same distance as my overriders. Go visit the local Harley store and search their junk pile. Undoubtedly you'll find one that someone has dented by dropping the bike. Come Spring they all want louder pipes. I've so far come up with two freebies and a third is on the way. Any buddies with Harleys. Ask them what they did with their old pipes with baffles in place. Chances are they are in the back of their garage taking up space.

I think the style shown below will fit better with an overrider than the larger cutoff tip style.It is more bullet shaped.

Attachments

• 16758.jpg
    16758.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 155

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Another shot

Attachments

• 16759.jpg
    16759.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 153
OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Hmmm, I'm wanting something that is at least 1.75"

Ed, let me know when you get yours, I'd like to know what the dimensions are and what they came from.

I might get a chance to go by a few motorcycle shops in the next couple of weeks.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor,

I measured the Harley Muffler with the cut off tip and input is 1.75", This one is not tapered on the end like the one I currently have on Bugsy just tip is cut at a 45 degree angle.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Is the inside of the baffle 1.75" too?
Do you have a model number or application?

Thanks.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I measured and the ID of the front pipe is 1.75". Just stop by and see what they've got that has been pulled off of a bike. Even if it isn't the correct size, you can get adapters to go from 1.75 to 2" and 2.5"pipe. Sometimes you need to use more than 1 adapter. Also you'll need a really big U Bolt to go around the muffer as the cut tip muffler for example don't sit straight and are designed to mount 45 degrees off of level. I'll use a big U bolt again from Autozone to go around the muffler and than attach for my flexible muffler strap.

Trev, this is not tough. Just go and see what might be available, tell them what your plans are and then go by the bog box Auto Parts store and get needed adapters to connect the pipe as well as keep the tip oriented up and down and sufficiently far back that it isn't leaving soot all over the back of your car. I know you can do the creative engineering for something like that. I'd also recommend tack welding the adapters together I found lots of flex there in just a couple of days with clamps loosening up. These mufflers aren't lightweight so if you can figure out a way to get two mounting points wit U bolts and flex straps all the better.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
I'm not concerned about mounting it. I can certainly work that out. I'm concerned about if the mufflers are going to be a bottle neck in the exhaust. I want something free flowing but quiet. They don't really go hand in hand.

BTW, why didn't you go ahead and weld the adapter to the muffler?

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I think Jim was going to send me his old slash cut one but if fits Trevor's pipe better maybe he wants that one I can get the other of the pair that Ed is offering, Ed? Trevor? Jim?