• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT MGB GT rubber bumper

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Spotted this a couple of days ago, a LHD rubber bumper MGB GT, a 1974-1/2 model

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2468549306&category=31857

Believe this topic was discussed before at some time, and I believe someone mentioned that a small batch of LHD rubber bumper GT coupes were sold in the States in 1974, but as we know no series production of LHD versions ever happened (at least for North America).

The listing doesn't give any known history on this car... was it sold new here as LHD? or possibly brought in privately from Europe as LHD?

Certainly interesting anyway...

G

about 1200 LHD RB GTs were imported, all the so called 741/2 models, making it one of the rarest GTs, and possibly the best looking RB car

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've got 2 of them!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sure, here's a photo of my Blaze '74-1/2 in its original 'as found' condition before I had it repainted...overdrive car with air conditioning:

RubberGT.jpg

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I went and had a look at the MGBGT I mentioned a couple posts ago. This car is in amazing condition for sitting in a yard for three years. The owner of the garage where it is thought it was an early 70's model, but now I don't know.
Reading this post, the car here has rubber bumpers, but these are not like the bumpers on my TR7, as in solid, but they are like a moulded rubber / plastic looking things, about 1\4 inch thick. Are these the way they were made or has somone changed them? The owner of the garage has not been able to reach the owner since June 2003. He dropped it off in 2001 for pistons and rings. That is the only time he has spoken to him. The owner of the garage told me he would even buy me a bottle if I get it out of his yard. Three numbers he has for the owner are no longer in service...SO.
Sherlock, you may know. How does it work in Ontario with cars that are just left for a long length of time? I may be able to get this for just the cost of a tow.
The 55 lb Racoon who took up residence in it may have other thoughts though.
Sorry, so many questions, but this may be a great oppertunity.

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> KLUTZ said: How does it work in Ontario with cars that are just left for a long length of time? <hr></blockquote>

Seems to me (I don't know Ontario rules specific to this) that if any property of any sort is left at a business and no one picks it up after a certain amount of time - and as in this case business cannot contact the owner - business essentially takes over ownership of the item. Only thing is that business may have to prove that he searched for old owner as well, ie. make sufficient effort to track down current owner even if contact has been lost.

If I was in your shoes, I'd call the Ontario gov't registry department and ask them what the procedure would be in this case, and then just proceed from there. If you have any real interest, this would show the business owner that you are serious about it and made some effort, where he may be busy running a business and might take ages to make the same phone call. Just my two cents.

Also for helping to identify the car, some pictures found in BCF Forum here.

#1 1974/81 MGB, no metal, full encompassing rubber as below:

DPW%20MGB%20LE.jpg

#2 1970/74 MGB, metal bumper with rubber-tipped over rider on bumper, as below:

73%20MGBGT.jpg

[ 03-27-2004: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
May I say, I think that is a fine looking automobile! I like the painted bumpers and the color isn't bad either.

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Saw the pictures Paul e-mailed me - apparently couldn't post here - of the car he found in Ontario, it's definitely a rubber-bumper MGB GT with LHD and looks very decent. I suppose step #2 would be to verify age of the car by finding the VIN# - where is that on an MGB? One more interesting thing... this one has the bumpers painted to match the body colour and the paint job on the bumper looks nice from what I can see, both bumpers and body are red - anyone recall seeing this car before anywhere? With how rare these cars are maybe someone might remember it.

A

aerog

Here's one located in the Tampa area. Brackets on the front are for towing behind an RV. The colors match the RV (you can just see it in a picture in the windshield):

p1100.jpg

[ 03-27-2004: Message edited by: aerog ]</p>

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks James. Those are the best I could take in respect to the location of the car.
Yes, where would I find the serial No. on this car? I am going over again Monday morning.

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Paul,

There was nothing wrong with the pictures... Beggar can't be choosers with cars like that, you take a picture wherever the car happens to be parked, even if crammed into a back corner like that.

Caretaker

Freshman Member
If the numbers are in the same place on the US spec motors, you'll find it on the bonnet slam panel, and again on the right hand side of the boot floor opening.

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Caretaker:
If the numbers are in the same place on the US spec motors, you'll find it on the bonnet slam panel, and again on the right hand side of the boot floor opening.<hr></blockquote>

Found the VIN # on the plate on the threshold of the drivers door.
11/74.
I have been in contact with the owner... That's all I will share now
grin.gif

Unless I can't afford it....
frown.gif

Then I will reveal more.
thumbsup.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, that's a '74-1/2 MGB GT...painted bumpers look nice, yellow wheels are, er, shocking!