• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB MGB Air Dam

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
I just saw a new front air dam in my new Moss catalog, has anyone installed one yet? I'm still partial to the LE spoiler, but I'm curious as to what this air dam looks like mounted on a car. It looks vaguely like the Special Tuning air dam, but appears to only go as low as the LE spoiler.

https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=56718

Tom_Odom

Jedi Hopeful
Cam, I think that is the one I have installed. Don't have any pictures but if no one post any I'll try to get one this afternoon. One other thing, my car is not complete.
Tom

OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
No problem. Just curious about fitment, ease of installation, appearance...though I doubt that I'll buy one, someone will, and they will have a nice resource, at the very least.

Tom_Odom

Jedi Hopeful
Cam, I'll try to attach picture. The picture was at a bad angle and the dam does not show as well as it really looks. Installing was quiet simple compared to most everything else. ( Well that is if your front bumper is already off as mine was.) Was a one man job, well for me everything is a one man job.
Tom

Attachments

• 4531-DSC00342.JPG
    4531-DSC00342.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 171

Bret

Yoda
Hmmm? Can't put my finger on it but honestly it doesn’t give me the warm fuzzys.

I’d be concerned about the absence of the large lower opening like you see on the Limited Edition & the ST Spoiler. These give extra air flow for cooling the bottom half of the radiator & oil cooler.

Also something to keep in mind is repairs. Not sure about the air dam pictured above, but my ST Spoiler is fiberglass and really easy to repair. Makes it really easy if you hit something to patch it, prime & paint.

Here’s mine 78B Rubber Bumper with the ST Spoiler.

newfoglights.jpg

OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Agreed, I like the LE spoiler much better, but I like that urethane air dam on that car for some reason. I for one will buy the LE spoiler when I can afford to.

Didn't they stop installing oil coolers from the factory starting in 1975? The absense of some kind of opening really strikes me as odd looks-wise.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
The nice thing about urethane is if you accidentally bump into a parking curb or the like it will bounce back to it's original shape. I had a urethane air dam on my '92 Mitsu pick up that sat maybe 3" off the ground. The first day I put it on I curbed it and it bounced back to it's original shape like nothing happened. Call me crazy, but I'm a fan of urethane when it comes to low hanging bits up front.

Bret

Yoda
Camshaft said:
Agreed, I like the LE spoiler much better, but I like that urethane air dam on that car for some reason. I for one will buy the LE spoiler when I can afford to.
I almost went with the LE spoiler too. But chose the ST spoiler because it looked more agressive rally look. It does hang a little lower so you've got to watch yourself in parking lots with speed bumps. More so in my case because I've lowered mine about 2" up front.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Didn't they stop installing oil coolers from the factory starting in 1975? The absense of some kind of opening really strikes me as odd looks-wise. [/QUOTE]
Actually an oil cooler is a bolt on modification and I believe it was a dealer option on the Rubber Bs. I installed mine useing the factory "threaded" mounting holds.

Also Rob has a point about urethane being less of a deal if you make contact with a curb or some other obstruction. But unless you're going with the Dull or Armoral look - painting urethane will involve a bit more preping and special bumper paint.

Not sure how much that is but up till now all I've had to do in the way of repairs is break out a rattle can or two of primer & paint. The only crack I had was easlily fixed with some weld glue & sand paper then prime & paint. Total time for the repairs was maybe 15 minutes of work with maybe 20 between primer & paint.

So in my view the fiberglass ST spoiler is a better deal at less than $100.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hijack. I am not a fan of rubber bumper MGS but Pagan is an exception. Really looks great. Congratulations.

Bret

Yoda
jlaird said:
Hijack. I am not a fan of rubber bumper MGS but Pagan is an exception. Really looks great. Congratulations.
Ahh shucks /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif thanks - but I'm get'n all misty. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif