• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB screen material for fresh air vent on mgb?

borjis

at the all british field meet last year I noticed several B's that had a fine mesh screen underneath the fresh air vent chrome trim to keep out pine needles and other debris.

anyone have a suggestion where to find something like that?

And how do you secure the vent once its covered with screen and you can't use the existing push on fasteners....clear silicone adhesive?

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Metal screen material. Easily found at your local home improvement center. Stainless steel screening.

It's held in place by fitting the screen over the vent trim's mounting posts and then sandwhiching it between the vent trim and the car body.

Steve_S

Yoda
For different types of screen, try industrial hardware supply houses like Grainger or McMaster-Carr. Don't get anything TOO fine. It will reduce the airflow into the intake which in turn will reduce the air flow through the heater and fresh air vent. Stainless is a very good idea.

Take a look at this page for a shot of mine. The photo makes the screen look much more fine than it really is.

https://www.mgnuts.com/mg/mgbgt/accessories/

Shinsen774

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I used the left over black nylon pet proof screen that I got to rescreen the front window that my cat shredded. Worked great.

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
I have seen the screens in some of the catalogs out there, but getting a piece of stainless should fix you right up.

Not to hijack the thread, but Steve, how does that modified cooling system work? I have wanted to do something with mine, since I just have a reservoir on mine, but it doesn't pull the coolant back in. I have to lift the bottle and pour the coolant back into the rad.

Great looking car by the way.

Steve_S

Yoda
Well, I can drive at 220+ and it doesn't boil. So I guess it works ok! It's a stock '67 cooling system with an added expansion tank from a 70's MGB, and a fixed radiator cap.

You may just need a new radiator cap - the fixed one, not the expansion tank cap.

OP
B

borjis

Steve_S said:
For different types of screen, try industrial hardware supply houses like Grainger or McMaster-Carr. Don't get anything TOO fine. It will reduce the airflow into the intake which in turn will reduce the air flow through the heater and fresh air vent. Stainless is a very good idea.

Take a look at this page for a shot of mine. The photo makes the screen look much more fine than it really is.

https://www.mgnuts.com/mg/mgbgt/accessories/

Steve thats exactly what I saw people use.

But how do you secure the vent trim that covers the screen?
With the screen in place you can't push the fasteners on.

and where did you get your screen?

Steve_S

Yoda
The grill is usually able to just sit in there by friction. You can add a little silicon if you want to be safe.

The mesh on that car was there when I got it, years ago. I believe it came from an industrial hardware supply as mentioned above.

V6MGB

Places supplying scientific companies and labs are also worth a try.

They normally sell small volumes for use in labs as sieves and in a huge range of sizes too.

The usual material is stainless steel but a range of other materials should also be on offer.

Put on a pleading look and you may even score some offcuts for free. Worth a try.

Cheers , Pete.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Shinsen774 said:
I used the left over black nylon pet proof screen that I got to rescreen the front window that my cat shredded. Worked great.

That is exactly what I used as well. Initially bought it for the same reason too.

MathewM

Freshman Member
I bought the screen mesh out of Moss Motors. Part number 471-025 cost $10 and the pins on the cast grill will hold this screen in place. The screen is thin enough to be held in place by the cast grill. There is even holes in the screen so it makes install very easy

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, buy the Moss part...you'll not regret it!