• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series loss of clutch after tranny install

19_again

Jedi Warrior
I just installed a rebuilt tranny from Quantum, I followed the Bentley steps all through the process, removing the engine and old unit and reinstalling the new assembly. Today I filled the tranny with fluid and when I tried going through the gears for the first time I had no clutch pressure. I pressed the pedal down a few times and got complete resistance at the top of the stroke, seemed more like a mechanical stop than the normal pressure you feel from good pressure when pressing the brakes. Upon feeling this unusual pressure I checked the system and found I hadn't completely set the slave boot in place. I took care of that, checked the local nuts and bolts while I was under there and tried the pedal again. This time it went straight to the floor every time, no resistance. Plenty of fluid in master, didn't touch the master during the work. I'm surprised there wasn't a gasket at slave connection as there was a drop of fluid on the low point of the slave. Any suggestions?
Mike

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
If i was just doing a trans swap i would not break the hydraulic system. Just remove the slave from the trans and use a thin wire or zip tie to keep the slave piston from coming out of its bore. If you pulled the slave from its line then be sure the system has no air in it. If you blow the piston out of the slave when bleeding then you have a bad flex line or forgot to install the release bearing. There should be a copper washer between the flex line and the slave cyl. Without more details thats all i can think of. Bob

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Thanks Bob, I'll be out of town for a few days but will check it when I return. There was literally no resistance when applying pressure.
Mike

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Upon a quick inspection on the way home today I found that half the fluid is gone, but it must have been gradual. As we have absorbent granules on the floor with oil from the engine removal and water from heater disconnect etc there could easily be the rest of the fluid there as well. Easy fix, I was concerned that there was no leak and still no pressure.

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Turns out the fluid was leaking out of the slave bellows, they are ok, but the interior seals must be gone so I've ordered a repair kit.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Sat too long... be sure to run a brake hone thru it a few times before ya put th' new puck in there.

OH! and you *could* find a proper sized puck at NAPA in a pinch.

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
it only sat over the winter, and was unhooked for the four weeks since we started the engine/tranny work. but as if every component they always work right up to the moment when they don't.
Are you saying to run the brake hone through the inner passages of the cylinder? Never done this before.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Like honing a cylinder in the engine... 45* cross-hatch (slow speed on a hand drill, moving in and out). A "brake hone" from NAPA... AMCO.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
19_again said:
it only sat over the winter, and was unhooked for the four weeks since we started the engine/tranny work. but as if every component they always work right up to the moment when they don't.
Are you saying to run the brake hone through the inner passages of the cylinder? Never done this before.
Could have been those couple of weeks sitting without fluid in it. The materials they like to make these parts out of like to shrivel and get brittle without constant fluid wicking them to keep them soft and supple...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
As well as exposed to atmosphere. It needs rebuilding. With the hone treatment as an ameliorator.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
thar you go again usin' them big werds on me... whar's my dicshunairy?!

R

RonMacPherson

AND, especially for someone not using a hone before, make sure the cylinder is well lubricated, i.e. brake fluid, etc... during honing...

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Thanks Ron, I would not have thought of that. I'm guessing that once I've got this thing apart, it will be pretty obvious what needs to be honed. I went hone shopping yesterday only to find there were three sizes, I got the smallest, something in the order of 31/64" to 2", I didn't think a larger one would be necessary. The ameliorating notwithstanding, I'm hoping to avoid excessive aspiration in addition to rampant anti-disestablishmentarianism.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Or you could use Marvel Mystery Oil in lieu of brake fluid... Just be sure to rinse all with mineral spirits and then something like lacquer thinner. Air compressor dry and wipe with soft cotton cloth after. Winding a piece of old T-shirt around a chopstick works WELL.

Ron may beat me up later, at his convenience. :wink:

R

RonMacPherson

MMO would work well. I use brakeclean to spray though the components after honing. Agree with Doc on air blow. But make sure you use a CLEAN cloth to wipe off, hopefully lint free. Then a rinse coat of brakefluid internally before assembly.

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
yupyup, I hate handling the stuff near the vehicle. I keep the old bottle so that I can pour small amounts at a time. Learned the hard way not to try and pour from a can or bottle that was near full.