• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jute Installation on Transmission Tunnel - Heritage Trim

SideShifter Tri-Carb

Country flag
Just realized that the jute backing supplied by Heritage Upholstery and Trim does not correlate to Gary Anderson & Roger Moment's restoration guide. The guide indicated that the black side is suppose to be facing down (against the tunnel), and the brown side is glued to the back of the carpeting. This wouldn't have been a problem had they not cut the openings for the gear selector - which matters on a sideshift car. Turning it over, moves the opening to the right side.

I contacted Heritage to get their feedback and spoke with a guy named Bart. He indicated that their "expert" on Healey's had 20 years experience working on them and that Roger's book was incorrect and that it wasn't unusual to be incorrect. I also saw Rich's carpet installation guide and Rich was in agreement with Gary and Roger. It's laughable that someone in this field claims 20 (recent) years as their reason for their knowledge. I know Rich is no longer with us, but I put his history up against anyone at Heritage. Rich spoke highly about Heritage back in the day, which was why I used them.

Curious of others' thoughts on this - what's correct, and why does the exposed side color matter?

I know most here aren't as anal, but I spent a lot on this kit to be correct (which it is according to Bart). I guess I will install it as it was cut, but I would have thought Heritage would put more stock in the original restorer's notes. It will be one of those things that will bug me whenever I pull the carpet back to check the oil.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Just realized that the jute backing supplied by Heritage Upholstery and Trim does not correlate to Gary Anderson & Roger Moment's restoration guide. The guide indicated that the black side is suppose to be facing down (against the tunnel), and the brown side is glued to the back of the carpeting. This wouldn't have been a problem had they not cut the openings for the gear selector - which matters on a sideshift car. Turning it over, moves the opening to the right side.

I contacted Heritage to get their feedback and spoke with a guy named Bart. He indicated that their "expert" on Healey's had 20 years experience working on them and that Roger's book was incorrect and that it wasn't unusual to be incorrect. I also saw Rich's carpet installation guide and Rich was in agreement with Gary and Roger. It's laughable that someone in this field claims 20 (recent) years as their reason for their knowledge. I know Rich is no longer with us, but I put his history up against anyone at Heritage. Rich spoke highly about Heritage back in the day, which was why I used them.

Curious of others' thoughts on this - what's correct, and why does the exposed side color matter?

I know most here aren't as anal, but I spent a lot on this kit to be correct (which it is according to Bart). I guess I will install it as it was cut, but I would have thought Heritage would put more stock in the original restorer's notes. It will be one of those things that will bug me whenever I pull the carpet back to check the oil.
I have a complete Heritage interior for my BJ8. When installing the Carpet you should be prepared to do "trimming" to get it to fit. Mine was without binding on the edges which I believe was stock. The jute is too thick compared to the original stuff s well as the foam on the door panels, etc. also being too thick. Invest in a good pair of fabric scissors($50.00) and tailors chalk for marking areas needing trimming. I did have a few problems with correct original items and was able to back up my concerns with facts, etc. I'm glad that I had Heritage trim the seats because I would not have done as good of job as they did. My front seat bottom cushions were too stiff and they corrected them and I sent them two ways to do the foam that a couple of Restorers use to gt th proper firmness and height.

Gearhead_Garage

Jedi Hopeful
I had a custom upholstery shop do my seat bottoms. They seem very stiff and tall but look just right. Should they have a lot of "give"?

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
This is a common problem using the new foam today. What I did, and others before me have done, is drill holes in the foam with a hole saw in various places to "relieve" the foam to allow it to compress easier.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Heres a visual.

Attachments

• 2013-02-05 007.jpg
    2013-02-05 007.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 131

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I had a custom upholstery shop do my seat bottoms. They seem very stiff and tall but look just right. Should they have a lot of "give"?
Yes, they should have some "give". The place that did my seats had them too stiff so I sent them my seat cushions back and a couple of photos that I had. They came back correct the second time.

Attachments

• IMGP1722.JPG
    IMGP1722.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 102
  • IMGP1723.JPG
    IMGP1723.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 98

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The original seat foams had relieving holes in them to soften them up, some one has suggested in the past, using the sharp edge of a suitable metal can to cut them in. I fitted mine as a solid and find that the firmness is quite acceptable, I had to reduce the height though as my knees were clashing with the steering wheel.

:cheers:

Bob

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
I'd put my money on Roger and Gary and of course Rich Chrysler. What does the Concours guideline say ?