• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech How do i get these out? Tranny cover plugs

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
shoot-me.gif
When does it end? Those of you that have helped with my tranny dilemma may recall that the shifting forks in the cover don't line up with the gear selectors in my J type and causes 1st & 2nd gear to lock up. When I take the A type cover and put it on the J type everything shifts fine. So came up with the bright idea to take both covers apart and compare the shifting rods to see if one is made incorrectly or what. Well the A type came apart fine but when I got to the J type the screws that holds the balls for the interlock has plugs that are pressed in. I'm assuming to drill them out and put a screw in the hole and pull them out? Got a better Idea?

Attachments

• coverplugs.jpg
    coverplugs.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 87

ed_h

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
They appear to be welch type plugs. Poke a hole and pry them out, or for a more refined approach you can try to put a self tapping screw into them and try a slide hammer (but you may end up reverting to the first approach).

Ed

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I do have a broad head puller from when I used to shoot a compound bow. I'll have to look for it and it should be an easy adaptation and I did adapt it to pull dents once.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I found a bottoming tap that would just start to bite into the cavity; then used a short spacer, washer and nut to form an ad-hoc puller. (Turning the nut on the tap to pull it from the hole.) They slipped right out, and could have been re-used. But instead, I opted to thread the holes and make up threaded plugs like the earlier covers use.
Sorry I don't recall the threads offhand, but they were standard SAE sizes. The holes were the perfect size to tap for plugs, no drill involved. To make the plugs, I just cut the tip off a standard bolt with a Dremel & cutoff wheel, then used the same tool to form a screwdriver slot.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Your ad-hoc puller worked well. Had to use some heat and my slide puller on one. Tape just kept pulling out. 7/16 20 is the hole and thread size and I made my own screw in plugs too. How hard is it going to be to put these back together? Any info out there? Also there is no difference between the shafts so where do I go from here?. The one with the x's are the J type. The J type also have another interlock towards the rear or it has something to do with the switches. Anyway can't find info on how to put back together.

Attachments

• shifterbars.jpg
    shifterbars.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 62
  • adhocpuller2.jpg
    adhocpuller2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 61
  • adhocpuller1.jpg
    adhocpuller1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 61

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Are you familiar with the article on the Buckeye Triumphs site? https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Gearbox/GearboxCover/GearboxCover.htm
I used a digital fish scale (on sale at Big 5), but an old fashioned analog scale might have been easier to use. The digital one updated rather slowly, making it hard to get an exact reading at the moment when the detent moved.

One other point, the O-rings sold for the seals don't seem to fit very well. The cavity is deeper than the width of the O-ring, leaving a gap for oil to leak through. I picked up some "PTFE backer rings" from MMC to fill the gap (but the cheaper Buna-N ones would probably work just as well)
https://www.mcmaster.com/mvA/pdf/122/3546.pdf#page=1&zoom=auto,-313,626

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks Randall that was a great help. Got both covers apart and compared parts and discovered that the forks were bent. How can that happen! Anyway I got a salvage tranny and took the forks out of it cleaned and reassembled. Shifts perfect. Finally after I started it Feb 2015.