• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Help with an original radio install

delisaj

Hello all-

I got an original pushbutton AM/FM radio for my TR-6, (See attached) and trying to get it in my car. Radio looks and sounds great. I got it wired fine, but I can't seem to mount it in the console. I've scraped my hands up good and have spent hours trying to mount it so I am looking for a few suggestions.

No matter what I do, I can't get the radio flush against the back of the console. I've removed some excess padding. I tried removing the glass plate that covers the numbers because I thought the small screws were blocking it.

Does the chrome casing around the face and the knobs go in from behind or from in front? I thought it goes in from behind?? The bolts that attach can't seem to thread the potentiometers and keep the radio in place.

There is a pre-existing clip in the back of the car, that firms up the radio and "clicks it in", once I get it close, but then I can't seem to get the bolts on.

I don't know if I need to hack up the console or drill bigger holes for the knobs (my next idea), or to try another radio, but I'd like to get this one installed.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

John

Attachments

• 240031-tr6_radio.jpg
    240031-tr6_radio.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 104
D

DougF

Pull the center dash support bracket out and mount the radio to it away from the car where you can get access and see what you are doing. It will go back in with the radio attached.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
John,
It's been awhile since I've done this, but I beleive you remove the knobs, then the nuts that are on the knob shafts. This should allow you to pass the face of the radio through the opening. I don't recall having to remove the chrome trim. The nuts on the shafts hold it in place on the front. There should be a metal strap with holes hanging down from the heater box (I think that;s where it attaches) Line up one of the holes with the short threaded post that sticks out of the back of the radio, pust the post through and secure it with a washer and nut. This doesn't have to be real tight.
If you are still having problems let me know and I'll check mine to confirm these instructions.
Bob

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
The radio definitely goes in from behind, by removing the knobs as Bob and Doug described. There are small nuts on the shafts for volume and tuning which snug it in from the front and there should be a bendable metal strap with holes in it attached to your heater to support the back of the radio, which should have a bolt sticking out the back to go through one of the holes, then put a washer and nut on to secure it.

You can hook up power and ground to either a switched or unswitched source, depending on whether you want to listen without turning on the ignition or not. If hooked to permanent power just remember to turn off the radio when you park the car to avoid draining the battery!
Simon.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Not sure if that is exactly the same radio that I've seen before, but I thought that once you get the knobs and nuts off the chrome trim face also will come off - mount the radio from behind and then put the chrome back on. Just a guess.

Randy

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
You can hook up power and ground to either a switched or unswitched source, depending on whether you want to listen without turning on the ignition or not...

[/ QUOTE ]

Best might be to use the accessory position on the ignition switch (on when the key is turned left & on when ignition is on). That way it is switched but you can listen w/o having the ignition system powered -- important I think if you have or ever do have a Pertronix ignition.

OP
delisaj

delisaj

well,

I took DougF's advice and removed the console and unhooked the wires so I could better access the radio and the panel. The nuts on the shafts just won't hold the radio in place. (They are too short tp grab the threads..) I tried to go to the hardware store to get a longer nut so that it would grab the shaft, but, they don't have any part like that. Neither did Napa. The mounting of the radio is proving very difficult...

The upshot is that I did hook up an FM modulator to the old radio, and my ipod sounds great-- a neat marriage of the old and new technologies.

Now, if I just get the darn thing mounted on the console.

Any further help appreciated.

Thanks, John

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
The nuts are not strong enough. You'll find a stud somewhere either on the back or side. Use it to bolt on some of that perforated strapping, and hang it from the console housing. That will take the weight off the shafts.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
John-

If I understand you correctly, the nuts you have are too loose on the shafts, right? I was missing the nuts on a radio I bought on ebay, and I found that the standard ones you can buy for lamp parts worked just right - it might be worth another run to the hardware store to check them out.

Randy

dizzplaced

Freshman Member
I had the same problem with the short studs and fitting flush. I determined the center console itself was from a 73 and my car is a 70. There is a definite difference. The radio mounts fine now with the correct console.

OP
delisaj

delisaj

It could very well be the center console. My car has some funny things for a 1971 make. Like one of the dashboard knobs has writing on it, instead of the symbols, which I believe was proper. And there is a fasten belt light which I think wasn't required until 72(?).

I have it out I may end up getting another early 70s AM FM pushbutton radio (a Blaupunkt or something like that) if I can't find the right parts or get it to mount properly....

Thanks-- I thought I was going nuts! I figured that the wiring would be difficult and the mounting would be a snap, and it looks like it is the other way around...

John

Tomster

Jedi Knight
Just finished replacing the carpet and underlay in my 4A.
What frustration with the centre console-dash support. Finally parked the front wheels on 2 x 4's to get some flex. alignment that would allow all 6 bolts to be installed. Before anyone comments, no my frame is not cracked or rusted
I wonder if people missing these brackets, would buy these if they were made available again? It seems that this would be a relatively simple casting to make up without sacrificing the original used to make up a mold.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
The other TR6 owners can shoot me down on this, but I've been told the center console is also add to the structural stiffness of the body - so the general recommendation is to get those four bolts on the bottom back in.

Randy

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
The other TR6 owners can shoot me down on this, but I've been told the center console is also add to the structural stiffness of the body - so the general recommendation is to get those four bolts on the bottom back in.

Randy

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif