• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Help finding part

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I just bought a set of new Brake Fluid reservoir bottles for my Series 1 EType. The new bottles look great but they did not come with the little filters that are in the original bottles (They are in the bottom of the bottles with the pipe pushed into the outlet hole at the bottom of the bottle. They have a cheese-cloth like filter that is meant to filter junk from eh brake system. I called all the usual suspects but no one seems to carry this item.

Does anyone have any ideas where I might find this part? I have tried the following EType vendors:

SNG Barratt (USA)
Terrys Jaguar
Classic Jaguar
XKS Unlimited

So far no luck. I have the originals and "could" possible clean them up (They are very bad from years of sitting around). If anyone has any contacts in UK perhaps who might carry these?

I've attached a picture.

Attachments

• 17864.jpg
    17864.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 187

John_Worthington

Hi Basil,
I can not help you with the parts but I thought it important to mention I visited the SNG Barret website today and my computer was attacked by a trojan horse virus. My antivirus program stopped it thankfully. I just hope everyone else is ok when visiting this site.

John W

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Hmmm, that's interesting. I visited from work and had no problem. Did you visit the USA site or the UK site? SNG has a number of site - USA, NH and UK...which was it? ALso, which program caught the trojan?

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Usually if SNG doesn't have it, it will be really rare.

John_Worthington

It was the SNG Barratt UK site and I use Norton 360. I should have paid attention to the green check marks that Norton 360 puts on each website in a google search. I did a search for "jaguar parts UK" to find some RHD steering components when I hit the problem. It shows an icon with a grey question mark for the SNG Barratt UK site. Jagpartsusa.com gets the same warning. Everything else gets a green checkmark. I will pay more attention next time, but thankfully it was blocked instantly. I ran a full scan that took two hours just to make sure!
John W

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I think I can clean up my existing filters and use them again. The Bases cleaned up pretty well in my abrasive cabinet (very fine glass abrasive). Then I am soaking the gauze part of the filters in Mineral Spirits. I'll then Epoxy the filters back to the base and see how that looks.

mikespain

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Those filters look like the ones used by paint sprayers on the pick up pipe of the spray gun,they just push on might be worth a look/try

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
mikespain said:
Those filters look like the ones used by paint sprayers on the pick up pipe of the spray gun,they just push on might be worth a look/try

I'll look into that, thanks. In the mean time, I did the best I could to clean up the existing filters. I was able to take the filter part off of the base and soaked them in mineral spirits. Then I cleaning up the base/tube with a bead blaster (including inside the tube). They came out pretty good. The filter parts are still a little discolored, but other wise clean.

Attachments

• 17867.jpg
    17867.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 17868.jpg
    17868.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 155
OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
mikespain said:
look good to me-if the filters are still intact no need for new ones

Yeah, the filters are basically in good shape, just a little discolored. I managed to get the base/tube cleaned up like new.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Have you sample tested the epoxy you used in a bath of brake fluid? Or are you gonna use silicone?

...just wonderin' :whistle:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
DrEntropy said:
Have you sample tested the epoxy you used in a bath of brake fluid? Or are you gonna use silicone?

...just wonderin' :whistle:

I haven't yet, but plan to do so. (NO, not going to use Silicone. Have used it in the past with "ok" results, but have decided to use regular brake fluid this time.