• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Need help finding the builder to my 65

elbastardo

Freshman Member
P3084185.jpgP3094187.jpg

I just drug home A 65 sprite from canada with a buick V6 a th350 trans, a 9" rear axle.

The car was built in Canada as far as I know, the frame is boxed in and all the work is very well done that I have seen so far.

Yesterday I made a couple of real simple changes to the carb and took her out for a quick spin. This is possibly the fastest car I have ever owned.

The carb still needs work on the low end.

I would like to know the builder to this car as he did some very good work to this car, and I hope to continue the work to keep it going. And I want to let him/them know I plan on keeping there pace.

Thanks

P3064169.jpgP3064170.jpgP3064173.jpgP3064174.jpg

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Wow. That's a really impressive build. Any idea whether that is the earlier "Dauntless" V-6 from the 60s, or the ubiquitous 3.8 Liter, 231 cubic inch V-6 one from the 70s through the 90s? Based on what Buick did with their Grand Nationals in the 80s, the 231 can definitely handle modifications. It doesn't take much to get a Sprite going fast. If you want to check out the "next level" - check out anarchy99's build on the "New Guy with a Sprite -- sort of" thread.

Welcome aboard!

nomad

Yoda
It's later than a 65 because it was designed for the non removable top. Has a steel dash so it could be a 67 but the rear wheel arches make it a 72 or so. Guess its what ever the guy could get a title for! Looks fast and the mod's could hide under the bonnet pretty well with a small hood scoop.

Kurt.

OP
E

elbastardo

Freshman Member
The motor is a 3.8 balanced and blue printed even fire with a holley 570 4bbl, with a high rise edelbock intake. The car has line lock with a th350 trans.

I got the car through customs so some part is 65, this is my first sprite though, but in google images I did notice the wood dashes over my steel one.

So what years are body style compatible?
And what suspension and axle assy did use in the rear stock?

Thanks

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
The "even firing" 3.8 started in '79, so the block was from that point or later. Thanks. I'm a Buick aficionado, too.

Generally, the body parts of the '61 - '69 Sprites are interchangeable, but I'm sure there are people more expert on the "Square Sprites" than me who can chime in. The Sprites had a leaf springs in the rear (the Mark IIs may have had the same setup as the Bugeyes with the 1/4 Eliptical) with the lever-type shocks. It's not a bad setup for the stock motor

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
A good option with good stopping power is a narrowed rear from a 60s era belair. Gives u large drum brakes, interchangeable gear ratios, and 15 inch rims.

Country flag
You might ask on the Britishv8 forum.

G

It should run a high 13.8ish low 14.1ish in the quarter. That based off of 2000# and 150 hp estimate.

nomad

Yoda
The body numbers are all on the front half of the car so I would imagine that is a 65. From the back of the doors on back it appears to be a 72 which had round wheel arches and would be desirable for fitting bigger tires. That would be my guess anyway.

Kurt.

G

Honestly, you don't have enough motor to justify that much trans and especially that rear end. If it hasn't been cammed you might want to think about putting a super charger on it. Maybe an eaton off of a 90' whatchamacallit. Those drawn in from the back. With some skillful fab work you might be able to make it top draw.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'll send you whatever info you want, I've had everything from a 283 sbc, to a magnacharged ls6, to a sbc 350 with a 142 blower, to my current setup, which is still a sbc... Various trans setups, now with a 200-4R all in a sprite. If its going to come through the hood, might as well have fun with it. Send me a PM if you need info etc or just wanna shoot the **** on it.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The body numbers are all on the front half of the car so I would imagine that is a 65. From the back of the doors on back it appears to be a 72 which had round wheel arches and would be desirable for fitting bigger tires. That would be my guess anyway.

Kurt.

The door cards are from a later model as well.

G

In its current state yes, and changed quite a bit of the way it was. Why?

Just curious. I couldn't figure out if you were saying you built that particular one or just that you built several similar to it.

You put the rear end in? I'm curious to if you cut it down yourself and had the axles resplined or just bought new ones.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Reared was cut and in when I got it, I went through it and rebuilt it when I had everything torn down, it was cut down all the way and axles cut and resplined