• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

head torque

Country flag
In a previous post, someone mentioned a common leak at the hedd between the notches in the block (on the distributer side). Mine only weeps but I'm curious if anyone has tried to add a little extra (5 lb?)torque to the nuts in that area with any success? I've seen this on numerious Healeys so I feel mine in about normal so I don't feel like risking the block over a few drops. But I am sending the rocker assembly out for a rebuild and will be taking the opportunity to re-torque the head.
Thanks

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hello Tahoe, i believe i was one who brought up the subject of a leaking head gasket. Weeping oil. Keoke told me exactly where to look for it. I did not try to retorque my head bolts yet. It is also a minor leak but I do want to take care of it. Someone mentioned that i might be able to get on the head bolts that are partially obstructed by the rocker arm shaft with a side claw open end wrench attached to the torque wrench with a socket. I'm wondering if that would maintain the accuracy of the torque readings. In any case, I don't think that I would torque the bolts any more than the original specifications. Especially bolts that have been in position under torque for a considerable length of time. I think the possibility of snapping one or stripping thread would be too much to chance. But I will check my torques and if they are on the money then it's time for a new head gasket.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif Dave

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi TH & Dave, I mentioned the weep problem from the six clyn engine heads it is pretty common if the engine runs hot.However, There is a special torque wrench that fits some crows foot wrenches. without benefit of one of those I would not advise using the crows foot wrench with the conventional torque wrench. TH do not mess with the head torque on the engine you can create more sever problems. If you are concerned about the head leak I suggest that you replace the head gasket and torque the head to specifications.---Keoke

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Thanks but I didn't plan on changing anything only rechecking and adjusting by backing off a little and re tightening to spec. (Is this ok to do?) I don't beleive there is any room to get anything on the nuts under the calve cover with the rocker assembly in place. And you'd have to reset the valves anyway if you change the head tightness (or would that be infinitesably small?)

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
with a side claw open end wrench attached to the torque wrench with a socket. I'm wondering if that would maintain the accuracy of the torque readings.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Dave,
The instructions for my torque wrench say that if the length of the wrench is changed the reading will be off. I would imagine this is pretty universal.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
"is this ok to do", TH there is some risk. If the gasket is an original one like the coopers which was only about 0.015" thick was copper plated steel it probably does not have much more sealing capability left? I would let well enough alone do the rocker shaft and call it a day. You must reset the valves anyway when the shaft gets reinstalled right!. Yes to simplify torquing the head requires removal of the rocker shaft. But you can not just do some of them they must "ALL" be done to one specification---Keoke

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
with a side claw open end wrench attached to the torque wrench with a socket. I'm wondering if that would maintain the accuracy of the torque readings.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif Dave

[/ QUOTE ]
Torque wrenches are frequently used with length extenders, which a crowfoot is a short version of.

The actual torque wrench readings should be reduced by the ratio of the original length to the length added by the crowfoot. For example, if the original wrench is 14" long & the crowfoot adds one inch to the effective wrench length, The wrench readings that you torque to should be decreased by the ratio of 14" divided by 15" or 93% of the desired torque. There may be a slight angle error that this ratio calculation ignores. This angle error is not enough to matter for very short extensions, & non existant if the crowfoot is directly in line with the wrench.
D

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
I knew I'd have to re-adjust the the rockers. My point was that there is not enough room to get anything on the nuts on the head without removing the rocker assembly although I am not familar with a claw.
Thanks, Dave. That is what I needed to know. As you know the engine has been rebuilt by the PO but I'm not sure what kind of head gasket he used. Therefore, I will leave it alone.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Looks like we covered this one pretty well. I must say, Dave Russel, that I admire the accuracy of your responses. But since I am not an engineer, i probably would mussle the head off and install a new gasket before I would try to ascertain the accuracy of changing the geometry of my torque wrench. I for one enjoy your responses because they really keep us thinking. As does all the responses.
thanks, Dave C.