• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuel Tank Color, or does it matter?

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
I was just thinking that I could install the fuel tank in my TR3A body at this point, get it out of harms way and gain some space. It is a flat black at this point but I want to put some more paint on it for protection, if nothing else. Black would be the simplest if the color doesn't matter, or should it be body color?

As always your thoughts would be appreciated.

Tinkerman

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I have two tanks, one in the car, and one extra...both are black. That's the only color I've ever them.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The tank is not visible once all the trim panels are installed, so color isn't important. The one in my TR3 is gray on one side and green on the other :laugh:

But Art is right, they seem to have been black originally.

Don't forget the felt under the straps and between the tank & body.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Dick: I am assuming that you have already restorred the tank? If not, it should be cleaned thoroughly and then the inside should be treated with a good quality sloshing sealer. The sealer bonds with anything loose and prevents those small particles of crude from getting in your fuel.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:

Don't forget the felt under the straps and between the tank & body.

I bought my felt from Moss, and despite the fact that I was able to get the straps on, the felt turned out to be too thick. I couldn't get the rear trim panel in place properly as the straps just stuck out too far. I left the new bottom felts on and reused the original strap felts, as they were still in very good shape. The trim panel then went on without a hitch.

Just a reminder, NEVER THROW ANYTHING OUT until you know for certain that you will not need it. :laugh:

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
Dick:
As others have said, the color of the tank is immateralial since it is totally out of sight. What is important is the type of padding beneath the tank. You don't want a moisture absorbing or holding material since that will promote rust. I used a six inch wide roll of synthetic horse hair the entire width of the tank. The synthetic horse hair will not disintegrate over time or hold moisture and when compressed there still is a small air pocket. Any decent upholstery shop should have a stock.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

rlandrum

Jedi Trainee
On the TR3, ours was orignally grey, then black, and finally white. The latter two added by more recent paint jobs. It was later that we discovered our car was originally grey. That led me to believe that the original color of the tank was body color.

It may have just been grey primer though. Hard to tell while it's being blasted off... :smile:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
MMC sells a wide variety of felt; if you can't find something suitable in the weatherstripping department at your local hardware store. I got mine when Home Base closed.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
angelfj said:
Dick: I am assuming that you have already restorred the tank? If not, it should be cleaned thoroughly and then the inside should be treated with a good quality sloshing sealer. The sealer bonds with anything loose and prevents those small particles of crude from getting in your fuel.

New tank Frank, wonder if I should do that even if it's new?

Yes Lou, I am aware of the non absorbing material. If I remember correctly I bought mine from TRF.

I seem to remember what you are talking about Randall. As I remember all of the TR's I've seen at the shows, the tank is really hidden.

Thanks for all of your thoughts, Tinkerman

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There were some very unhappy people a few years (decades?) back, when it was discovered that the "sloshing sealer" being sold then would not stand up to reformulated gasoline. The problems caused by it peeling off the inside of the tank made the cure much worse than the disease!

So I've always just relied on the original sediment bowl and filter screen to remove any rust flakes. The original tank in my 3A did shed rust slowly, but it never caused a problem for me.

I did have to repair the tank shortly after buying the car, but I believe that was because the DPO had left the cap off and let the tank fill with rainwater. It never leaked again during the 20 years or so I drove it.

But I also use wool felt (as original), and don't see that it ever caused a problem either; so YMMV and all that.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Lou Metelko said:
Dick:
As others have said, the color of the tank is immateralial since it is totally out of sight. What is important is the type of padding beneath the tank. You don't want a moisture absorbing or holding material since that will promote rust. I used a six inch wide roll of synthetic horse hair the entire width of the tank. The synthetic horse hair will not disintegrate over time or hold moisture and when compressed there still is a small air pocket. Any decent upholstery shop should have a stock.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

Lou: where does one find a synthetic horse? :devilgrin:

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag

Attachments

• 15634.jpg
    15634.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 131

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
Frank:
Rumor has it that the genuine artificial barns in the area of greater Philly has an abundance of synthetic horses.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana