• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fiat Master Cylinder for Healey - angle question

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
FiatMC.JPG
I'm going to use this .75" Fiat tandem master cylinder for my revised dual braking system.

The mounting flange is at an angle compared to the Girling. My question is - if I mount it as shown in the picture with the flange holes verticall aligned, will there be a problem with the input ports being angled?

Would like an answer based on experience, if possible. Thanks in advance.

terp83

Steve:

I used the same or similar tandem master cylinder for a dual braking system conversion on my BT7 tri-carb. To get the lower brake pipe (from the lower middle outlet on your picture) to clear, I had to cut a small, rectangular piece out of the support that runs from the firewall to the back of the front wheel well. If you have access to back issues of CHATTER, Fred Crowley had an excellent article on the subject in the May, 1995 issue. If I remember correctly, I did this conversion within a year or two after that article. I have been quite satisfied with the conversion.

In retrospect, if I had to do the conversion again, I would see if I could rotate the master cylinder so that the inlet and outlet ports were pointing up, and drill a couple of bolt-sized holes in the firewall to bolt the master cylinder in that position. It might also be possible to fabricate a bracket that would allow the use of the master cylinder mounting flange and the existing mounting bolt holes that would have the ports pointing up, without drilling new bolt holes.

Jerry

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
FYI, I used the MC from a Nissan 1200 and didn't have this problem. The holes were vertical and lined up with the stock holes. The MC from a Nissan B210 also works the same way.

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Steve:

I used the same or similar tandem master cylinder for a dual braking system conversion on my BT7 tri-carb. To get the lower brake pipe (from the lower middle outlet on your picture) to clear, I had to cut a small, rectangular piece out of the support that runs from the firewall to the back of the front wheel well. If you have access to back issues of CHATTER, Fred Crowley had an excellent article on the subject in the May, 1995 issue. If I remember correctly, I did this conversion within a year or two after that article. I have been quite satisfied with the conversion.

In retrospect, if I had to do the conversion again, I would see if I could rotate the master cylinder so that the inlet and outlet ports were pointing up, and drill a couple of bolt-sized holes in the firewall to bolt the master cylinder in that position. It might also be possible to fabricate a bracket that would allow the use of the master cylinder mounting flange and the existing mounting bolt holes that would have the ports pointing up, without drilling new bolt holes.

Jerry

Checking the pedal box, if the Fiat MC is oriented with the ports exactly vertical, the bolt at the 4:30-o'clock position protrudes into the right-hand wall of the pedal box, as viewed from the pedal side.

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'm thinking about making an adapter out of 3/16" or 1/4" steel to allow the upright alignment, but was wondering if it would be possible to get by without it.

Does anyone have an extra pedal box to sell? I'd prefer to modify one off the car and do a quick swapout at install time.

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
They are plastic and are clamped to the MC. If you want a remote reservoir, you could try the Wilwood one that dougie uses: https://www.hrpworld.com/client_images/ecommerce/client_39/products/pdf_5232_1.pdf

Thanks John, I'm aware of the wilwood 1" tandem remote MC. If they made it in 3/4" would have gone with it.

Went with the Fiat because it's 3/4" & remote and my current 3/4" girling works perfectly with my Toyota 4-pot discs. Not only that, the Fiat is under $30 with free shipping on Amazon Prime.

Main problem with the Fiat is the connections are M10 x 1.25 bubble flare. 10 x 1.25 is obsolete and difficult but not impossible to get bubble adapters and tube nuts for. I have those sourced and on the way.