• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

73 Fiat Spider 850

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
I was working on my Spitfire a couple months ago when a guy drove by and said he has a 73 Fiat he'll sell cheap. I finally called him and looked at it. It has almost no rust and a good top. I like the lime green. I will look at it better next week. I saw a Weber carb. Is there a catalog for Fiats like Moss or VB? 850 cc, how many horsepower is that? 30 OR 40?
Cheers
Rick

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
There is lots of help for these cars out there... Nice cars too...

You might want to check out this club - https://www.flu.org - I've been told they are about the best North American club for Fiat's.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I has very bad luck with my 74 850. It broke a ring land and sent chunks through all of the other cylinders. I also know that they were notorious for the timing chains jumping (it's an interferance fit engine), the floorpans rotting out, and the steering binding up.
I was offered a second, rust free one for free but I turned it down. I figure if I ever deal with another Fiat it will be a 124 or an Abarth.

philman

Jedi Knight
I had an 850 spider and my sister had an 850 coupe. I loved those cars. Great gasmileage, decent handling, and could park almost anywhere in san francisco. My boss (at the time) raced one, didn't do well though because the sprites and midgets could out power them on the straight aways.and of course the reliability issues.

mikeyr

Did they make the 850 in 73 ? I see someone else had a 74 so I guess so, but with the 124 out there it seems odd, oh wait, its FIAT it could be odd. I am the original owner of my 73 124 which I still have along with a 67 FIAT Dino Spider, parts are out there and should be fairly easy to come by for the 850, handling on the 850 was awesome a little tail heavy but after a few spins you learn to control it and go very fast around the corners (its the only time a 850 can go fast, they certainly wont go fast on the straights) if Chris at FIAT plus, does not have the parts you need, you don't need them. https://www.fiatplus.com/

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Quick history lesson...

Fiat had two levels of a roadster from the mid-1960's, the 1500 Cabriolet was the one with the big engine and the 850 Spider being the one with the small engine.

The 1500 Cabriolet was replaced by the 124 Spider, I guess about 1968 or so. The 850 Spider was essentially replaced by the X1/9 targa, while the X1/9 wasn't a true roadster it did replace the 850 Spider in their model lineup.

Someone who knows too much? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Just an amateur automotive historian of sorts...

mikeyr

most links on the web say that the last year of the 850 was 1970, as I mentioned in my last post here, I was not sure but I did buy my 124 new in 1974 and I didn't remember the 850 being available then. Today, I searched and it looks like the last year was 1970. If you have a 73 its probably like the FIAT Dino, almost all Dino's in the U.S. are registered as 1967's no matter what year they were made (1967-1972), mine for example is a late 1968 but it was easier to register a car as a 67.

Although why would you want to go newer as with the 850 I have no idea and I can't imagine why. So I think its probably mis-registered for some reason (I have been wrong before) What I said earlier stands, good car with lots of support.

Sherlock you forgot the Dino in your history lesson /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

philman

Jedi Knight
my 850 spider was a '74, my coupe was a '72 as was my sister's coupe. btw the major problem I had was the heater only worked in the summer, though that isn't so bad in san francisco

bugimike

Yoda
My experience with Fiats (69' 124 coupe owned from '72 - '79 and rallied hard) was that they had severe rusting issues. If you found a solid one grab it! Lots of fun. I doubt you found a Dino for that price! My best friend back in the day had an 850 and I loved him for it. Made my bugeye feel like a true performer by comparison! Fun little car though!

mikeyr

if that Dino comment was about my post, I was just saying Dino's are almost all mis-registered and its possible this 850 is also. I was not implying he found a Dino in any way. Most FIAT websites say the last year for the 850 was 1970 ( a few say 1971 ) but several people here have already said they had newer ones then that and I don't doubt them.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Mikevr...

Interesting comment.

I'm just looking at my Standard Catalog of Imported Cars [for the American market]. According to the research in that book, the 850 Spider was sold as a new car until 1973 over here, while the other 850 models (sedan, sport coupe, Racer) were dropped after 1971.

I seem to recall hearing somewhere that the 850 Spider was far more popular here in North America than in Europe, and that production (targeted directly at North America) continued until 1973, at the same time perhaps production for the European market itself may have ceased after 1970/71.

Just some thoughts and that's all.

OP
H

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
Got the car home. He gave it to me free. Top is good, interior OK, but the battery box and under the bonnet is rusted badly. Serviced the radiator, installed new exhaust, rebuilt the cab, and found another 850 in a junkyard that had lots of stuff I needed. Engine starts and idles well but I don't have the key (he's looking for it). Last issue with the car is the rusted fuel tank. Any suggestions of removal? The car is a Fiat Spider 850 Sport built 10/72.
Thanks
Rick

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
This should do... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Except that this car was here in Calgary one year ago

917660_b44f3ae4c4.jpg

And this one is even the right year...

Bugeye58

Yoda
Ah yes. Buggy spring front suspension.
Just like a 289 Cobra!!
They handle surprisingly well, when properly set up. Just remember, the engine, she inna back!!
Jeff

OP
H

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
That's it Sherlock !! Looks just like that but with different rims and it's lime green. Would be good for that lime green car EBAY ad.
Gonna go wait out Wilma
Rick

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
On a related link - There's a '69 Siata Spring
in the local "cheap paper" for $4000.
I haven't seen one localy since the Plymouth/Fiat
dealer sold them new (dating myself!)