• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

73 Fiat Spider Latest

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
73 Fiat Spider up-date

Rebuilt the webber carb, took the rad in for service and paint,new calipers and brake lines, new master and slave cylinder, different rims, got a new key made(thanks AAA I didn't receive one with the car) and took her for her first drive in 16 years last night. Need to tune her up and get new tires. The old ones had a lot of flat spots.
Cheers
Rick
85 TVR 280i
78 MGB (restoration in progress)
73 Fiat Spider """

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Re: 73 Fiat Spider up-date

Congrats on getting her running! Just got back from visiting my mom and sister and her family in Pensacola. One of the only two sports cars I spotted between here and there was a lemon yellow spider - earlier than yours, with the thinner bumpers.

The other one spotted was a genuine Porsche Speedster, top down and all!

Mickey

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Glad to hear you made it home okay, Mickey - Jerri just remarked that you must be there by now.

Bugeye58

Yoda

Rick,I went out to the garage yesterday, and looked at my '72 850 Spyder. Mine has a 1300 124 pushrod engine in it.
A bit quicker than a stock 850, eh wot?
Jeff

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

My neighbor, friend and Student Twincam Tech, Justine, has a '78 2L 124 Spider. Found it a couple years ago for little money, declared she would make it run. When I asked if she had wrenching experience she admitted she'd none but would learn as she went! I volunteered to be the "instructor" and we proceeded to make a viable car out of it and a donor she'd had in her dad's backyard for a few years... Engine teardown/rebuild: DPO curbed the pan, snapped the OP pick-up, spun a rod bearing. Weber carb rebuild lesson, lots of evenings cleaning and reassembling I-tie bits 'n pieces in her garage. She was genuinely amazed when it lit off on the first crank, happy as a child with her first Christmas present! She's no longer intimidated by mechanical things and posesses first-hand knowledge of her car. The kid's got pluck. Now she's committed to learning about Lotus and MG cars as well. Keeping Fiats running is altogether a Good Thing. Far too many have already gone to the recycle bins.

OP
H

hottvr

Jedi Warrior

Hey Jeff,
I'd love to take it for a spin and see what that car can really do. Still have to tune the Webber and put new tires on it. Drove it again a couple days ago and lost 3 of 4 lug screws as I pulled into my driveway. Thought I snapped a tie rod or something even worse. Don't know how they worked themselves free.
Rick

Bugeye58

Yoda

Rick, mine is set up with a reversed rotation 124 engine that has been given the full Abarth treatment. Cam, crank, rods, pistons, head, etc., twin 40mm Mikuni sidedraft carbs, and a full roll cage.
I only had a chance to take it out once last year, for about ten laps, just to see what I needed to do to it, as it had been sitting for four years before I got it. It started to overheat, so I aborted my test run. But, I did get enough seat time to figure out that it's faster than snot! 8100 rpm, and shift. Wheee. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Will that Mikuni setup bolt up to a 2L, Jeff? Got any photos?

Bugeye58

Yoda

Doc, I doubt whether the Mikunis will fit a 2 liter, as my 124 engine is the pushrod version from a sedan.
As to pictures, I have one, but no way as yet to post it, as I can't get my scanner to run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Jeff

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

Yes, Yes!
Let's keep those FIATs healthy and running.
Otherwise, there will be no cars left that I can actually beat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Actually, I'm just kidding....I like all these "little tiddler" cars.
My brother owned a 124 Spider "project car", but it was a mess. Too bad since they are nice cars. I convinced him to replace it with a Midget.
The 124 Spider is the prettiest sports car built (in my opinion) although they seem to have even more "character" than old British cars (if that's possible).
I also like the 124 Coupe.
I owned a 124 pushrod sedan one time...it was dreadful, particularly the steering. Nothing like the sports cars at all.

Here's our three Spridgets leading two X1/9s. I'm always happy when they show up....we have a ball! The FIATs have more power than my car, but X1/9s seem to generally overheat after 15 minutes or so.
bvrun_04_sprites_fiats.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

I like Pininfarina designs with regard to the Alfa Spider and the 124's, "boat-tail" Duetto's particularly. But Bertone's GTV's get my vote for "prettiest" tho.

<*sigh*> I miss my 1750 GTV... WAHHHHH!!!!

Oops... sorry. Havin' a jaybird moment there. mehheh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Ive had three of 'em over the years, near continuously from '75 'thru '95. I'd GUT this Spider in an EYEBLINK if I found a good GTV "roller" I could afford /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Sadly, I think those days are gone.

mikeyr

[ QUOTE ]

The 124 Spider is the prettiest sports car built (in my opinion) although they seem to have even more "character" than old British cars (if that's possible).

[/ QUOTE ]

The 124 Spider pretty ? what ? its uhm quite nice actually, I have to say that I own a 73 124 since almost new, I bought it in 1974 with 1,800 miles on it.

But it does not compare at all to my newest FIAT
dino_on_lawn.jpg

Between 2 FIATs and a few Singer's, yes I am a busy boy.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

Ohhh.....a FIAT-Dino (or "Ferrari/FIAT" as some may call it). That's a rare bird!
For what it's worth, I still prefer the appearance of the normal 124 Spider, but your FIAT-Dino is one neat car!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]

Ohhh.....a FIAT-Dino (or "Ferrari/FIAT" as some may call it). That's a rare bird!
For what it's worth, I still prefer the appearance of the normal 124 Spider, but your FIAT-Dino is one neat car!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, Mikey - that is one lovely car! Congratulations!

Mickey

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag

Lovely... Fiat Dino... Beautiful car there! That's one of few exotic Fiat's ever made.

Jeff... That sounds like a fantastic 850 Spider you have there, how does that engine fit in again? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif It sounds like this is built as a race car, ie. not street legal.

Bugeye58

Yoda

James, as far as I can tell, the only engine mod to make it fit was the installation of a gear set to reverse the rotation of the engine. The car was built in Oregon as a race car, and is not street legal. I suppose I could install some headlights and go cruising.
If I can figure out how to get some pictures scanned around here, I'll get them put up. It sure is a cute little bugger!
Fast, too.
Jeff

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag

Lovely Dino -- what a classy car. I finally parted ways with the Fiats after driving a 124 & 2000 over the course of 30 years. 'Traded' this one for a TR4 (bought the TR4 on eBay, then sold the Fiat there for what I paid for the TR4).

fiat.JPG

Now resides in Atlanta I think.