• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

*&$%@+ Door Hinges !!!

GaryBeu

Banned
OK guys and gals...I'm trying to replace my two bent driver's door hinges on Ellie. Got the door off and all screwsa out. Took off the nut inside the fender. The hinges won't come out. As you can see from the photos, the part by the hinge bumper is wider than the hole in the door post. My new/used hinges are different as seen in the final photo. WHAT DON'T I KNOW NOW??? I always feel like an idiot when I work on this car... :(:(

Does an expert have a suggestion? Thanks.

Gary
ps. The hinge is moved as far to the right as it will go.

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Can't speak to the door hinges as the Midget is different. But, re: feeling like an idiot. Don't! An idiot is the one who doesn't learn from instruction or experience. In my world I am constantly reminding people that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing in the same way and expecting different results.

So, if you don't know how to do something - and you ask, that actually makes you smart. There is a first time for everything and everyone. I couldn't have restored my car without help from this board and let me assure you there is no such thing as a stupid question around here. :cheers:

(Ok one stupid question, "What would you think of trading my MG for a Triumph?" :devilgrin: But other than that no stupid questions.)

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks JP. I've learned so much from so many people on this forum. Carla and I couldn't have been where we are with our MGB without all of you guys and gals. When I was a flight intructor I always told people that there is no stupid question except the one you don't ask... Thanks again to you and everyone.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Looks like your old hinge is bent -- probably from opening the door to hard and having the arm slam against that little rubber nub on the left.

My quick guess (and this is not an expert opinion) is that you will need to bend or cut that left section of the old hinge to get it out.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
I know the hinges are bent but both old hinges ~seem~ to have that curved out part built into them :frown:. Not sure though.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Doc...This CAN'T be correct!!! Can it? ANOTHER fastener? The new/used hinges don't have one. The rubber button is riveted on. My Bentley manual doesn't mention this...tell me it ain't so...PLEASE!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Just popped out and checked the hinges on my B (similar age to yours), and they're like your replacement hinge -- straight where the rubber button is. Definitely NOT curved.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hold yer position, Gar. I'll check at sunup.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Yeah Drew I think you're totally correct. The door caught on a part of the garage door and opened wide enough to bend the fender. It just didn't dawn on me that it bent that part so evenly on both hinges :frown: Guess I'll have to cut the hole out a little bit.

Gary

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'd try cutting the hinge first if you can -- that's being replaced anyway. Don't know if you can get a Dremel or drill in there to cut up that bent bit. Hate to cut the car...

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
That sounds like the best thing to try. I'll let ya know how it goes...that's where I'm headed right now.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Well, no getting a drill in there. Guess I'm gonna have to go buy a Dremel...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Can ya get a short sawzall blade in there, Gar?

Country flag
Hard to say from the pictures...being there would be better...if you cut away at the flanges (where the bolt holes are) until you can create some clearance, you "ought" to be able to then slide the chopped up hinge ove enough to get it out. Doc's suggestion is good...and doesn't every garage NEED a Sawzall? :laugh: And attack it with an angle grinder too. I agree with the others - sacrifice the hinge first. It's ruined already

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Got the hinges out without destorying anything. New/used hinges in and the door works GREAT!! 2nd easiest job we've ever done on the B after the gas tank installation. Yahoo...no more crawling through the passenger door!!!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
GaryBeu said:
Got the hinges out without destorying anything. New/used hinges in and the door works GREAT!! 2nd easiest job we've ever done on the B after the gas tank installation. Yahoo...no more crawling through the passenger door!!!

Well done :bow: :bow: and given the ease with which you did the job, may I respectfully submit you shaddupabouttheidiotstuff!!!.
grin.gif
You are teaching us too.
:cheers:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
GaryBeu said:
Got the hinges out without destorying anything.
Well done! What was the method used?

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Well, I didn't have a Dremel and couldn't bring myself to spend $100 or so for one. I VERY GENTLY used a cutting wheel along the edge of the bent-out hinges and made just enough room to get them out. I had scribed the edges of the hinges in the paint so I knew where they had been mounted and put them back in the same places. Worked perfectly! VERY LITTLE cut-out of the door frame. I need to repair the bent fender (which is no longer causing a problem)but can't bring myself to try to get the whole windshield frame off to remove the fender!!! AND thanks JP...I'll shaddupaboutit now :smile: Lucked out I think :smile:

Gary

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
GaryBeu said:
Lucked out I think :smile:

Gary

Good advice, a methodical approach and talent I think. :cheers: