• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dim Ignition Lamp...

Turn Two

Freshman Member
OK... the wife's car is ready to come down off the jackstands. New rotors, pads, bearings, and bushings... Brake pedal is solid after changing the fluid. Car cranks fine w/new battery... once warm, it idles around 800rpm. All good news.

BUT!!! The ignition lamp is on... dim, but on. Does not change intensity w/rpm. I think I read somewhere that there is a diode that causes this symptom. In the alternator or external? Where is that sucker and how do I replace it?

Sorry to be such a newbie pain in the rear... but, hey... what are friends for if you can't use 'em?
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Thanks ahead of time,
Michael~
patriot.gif

My Sculptures

[ 02-29-2004: Message edited by: Turn Two ]</p>

G

it's in the alternator, take it to a local rebuilder and have them check it out, shouldn't cost very much
driving.gif

Bret

Yoda
iagree.gif

I agree with Chuck.

I had the exact same problem with the alternator in my 78B a little over two years ago. Go ahead and have the local shop test it for you. If it is bad, replace it. But if it checks out OK (or for some reason they can’t test it) – run some of the tech tips in your Moss Catalog. You might just have some corrosion on the terminals or a lot of resistance in the cables. But my money is on the Alternator.

Good luck!

G

Mine did that a few years back and it is in the alternator. The internal parts to the alternator are available. Mine turned out to be the Rectifier pack but the regulator possibly can cause the same symptom.Mine has gone out twice in 23 years. The first time was the regulator and the second was as above but I replaced the reg first thinking it was the same as the first time.
Since the brushes are the cheapest thing there and since you should replace them anyway, start with that and see if that fixes it.

G

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bret:
iagree.gif

I agree with Chuck.

<hr></blockquote>

Now I'm scared
devilgrin.gif

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chuck Cougill:

Now I'm scared
devilgrin.gif
<hr></blockquote>

How’d ya think I feel?
blush.gif

OP
T

Turn Two

Freshman Member
Thanks guys,

I will check the alternator tomorrow (Monday). Depending on cost, I may just replace the whole thing since it's original! 40,000 miles, but 25 years old!
rolleyes.gif

Michael~

G

check out local rebuilders and parts sources before going to Moss or VB, sometimes they can save you aome money. You might also look into a delco or a bosch swap

8NFord

An alternate choice is the Delco - GM alternator swap, as it has higher amp rating and is a bit more readily accessable if you are not concerned with originality. I saw one swap where the alternator was hung from the non used smog pump bracket on the water outlet.

OP
T

Turn Two

Freshman Member
I am researching:

Bosch $67 +$18 core charge and no modification.
Delco $49 +$10 Core charge (modification?)
Advance $29 +$10 Core...

The amperages are way different on the three... (44-65). One requires rewiring the plug... Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhh!!!

What ever happened to plug-and-play? Oh... wait... that's puter stuff!

Hey 8NFord... I have a 1939 9N... what year is your 8N?

Michael~
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

8NFord

Always interesting when someone picks up on the "8N" bit. I am a retired Ford tractor dealer. My family had one of the ORIGINAL Ford dealerships with an agreement signed by Mr. Ford tractor himself. I closed the dealership almost 15 years ago. Still love those old 9N/2N/8N tractors. FWIW, if you have any questions on those....., give me an email, I still have a few of my manuals left!
Ray

OP
T

Turn Two

Freshman Member
I think I hijacked my own thread!!!
grin.gif

I love my 9N. I bought it and a 5'Bush Hog and a reversable 'scoop' five years ago for $1800.00 and never regreted it for a second. We have four wooded acres and it has worked it's butt off without a failure!

I have been spending a lot of time/money at Carpenter's here in Charlotte. I have no desire to 'restore' the tractor... just get it kinda pretty and all the same color. It was painted as a Red Belly.

Talk about simplicity and bullit-proof in one package... and there are a ton of them still 'working' here in the area.

Thanks for the offer of help. I may need to call you sometime!

Michael~
My 9N

My Sculptures

G

Yes, 8N, I will definitely call on you if I need any advice or help. I love mine too. I share it with a neighbor in joint ownership and we have a Bush Hog brand finish mower on the back also 60" It does a fantastic job and just keeps on running.
We recently converted it to 12v and put a GM alternator on it.
Bob

steve99

Jedi Trainee
I've got an 8N also. 189 acres, 5' bush hawg, and a 5' Land Pride finishing mower and it still takes me 4 1/2 hours a week to mow. Ford just keeps on running.