• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 county Vs AE pistons for Tr6s

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
AE, Venolia, Wiseco, ANYTHING but a "white box" version. They're likely to be poured from recycled Coke cans in some backyard in India. I can't bring myself to trust the "metallurgy" ~OR~ the machining skills of those making that stuff.

philman

Jedi Knight
I purchased some "county" wheel cylinders a few months back that I had to rethread the brake line ports to make them useable. these were made in india. it probably makes a difference in the country of origin.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
No problem with my "County" pistons. I got them from BPNW for about $250 including rings and pins. My machienest check them out and did not fiand anything wrong with them. They stood the red line limit three times and have not let go yet. I only have about 700 miles on them and I don't know how they will last. Normally I would prefer a well known and recognized brand but I don't know if I would be getting a knock-off or not. After the cam/lifter stories, I don't see where high cost = high quality.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
My brand new AE pistons are still in the boxes, but will soon be balanced and mounted to the rods, which were being reconditioned today.

Day by day, getting closer.....

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
That's very true Tom. Not every size fits all.

OP
S

skikir

Jedi Hopeful
Acutally, I was interupted and hit the submit button before I was finnished with the post. I am going to rebuild my "spare" engine this summer but had a problem with my "running" engine and needed to do a quick repair. I found a piston that the rings grooves had blown out and just the oil control rings were left. Luckly the Cylinder looks fine inspite of it. It was an AE brand and the engine had been rebuilt before with a Higher compression head. I was Talking to the guys at British Parts North West and he said that the difference is between parts designed 40 years ago and parts designed recently. The AE pistons are original parts and the Countys are a newer design. He said that the County piston rings seem to hold up better with higher compression than the AE. If this is so, then my piston was a good example. Anyway, Obsolete Automotive up in Canada was able sell me a single piston rather than a whole set like everyone else. It is a County piston. They also had AEs. The County is $60 and the AE are $117. I know, I know! I should match the pistons and balance them and all that but since this is a temporary fix while I rebuild my "spare" properly it not a concern. I actually drive my TR and really want it on the road.

tomshobby

Yoda
I had a couple of broken rings and a top ridge poped off in one place.
This was in an engine with about 50,000 miles and all original inside the engine.
There were other problems that I believe caused the broken rings which is what caused the broken piston.
From the paper trail that came with the car it is evident there were problems going back several years. I am not complaining though. If the PO and the shops that worked on it had been able to find the problem it wouuld not have come up for sale. My gain and their loss.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Talking to the guys at British Parts North West and he said that the difference is between parts designed 40 years ago and parts designed recently. The AE pistons are original parts and the County's are a newer design. He said that the County piston rings seem to hold up better with higher compression than the AE.[/QUOTE]

Odd, Greg told me that the AE's were the best pistons made for my TR6 after I gave him a complete breakdown of everything that I was planning to do. Which included raising the compression from 7.75 to 9.5 to one!

Do any of us ever get an answer that matches from any of these guys????

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Brosky said:
Answers from any "seller" are likely biased by what the seller has available & which has the most profit.
D

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Dave,

Sort of like the "one size fits all" approach?

Or the famous line from CaddyShack; "But it looks good on you".

hondo402000

Darth Vader
now how about forged vs Cast pistons. I have read that the new material forged pistons are made from doesnt expand as bad and the clearances are tighter and no knocking now

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Forged.

And "knocking" is fuel pre-detonation (I hope!), not a piston size/material issue.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Forged pistons have to warm up before they fit just right in the cylinder and are known to rattle/knock or other wise make a noise but this occurs only on warm up. Its great for a race cars but not so good for a Waffle House run.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Originally Posted By: Brosky

Answers from any "seller" are likely biased by what the seller has available & which has the most profit.
D

Dave, you have a good point, I'm so sick of the Castrol ads on the Speed channel, I'm afraid to watch anything with out some extra napkins.

As far as AE pistons go it would not surprise me that some design improvements could be made but if these improvements are made like the new cams and tappets I will have to pass.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
the new alloys used in making forged pistons means no warm up needed and they dont knock at all anymore, at all, nada, zip, better than cast piston but cost a lot more

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:iagree:

Had some machined up for a V-12 Ferrari a while ago. +0.030"...

Talk about a sweeet soundin' mill!! :laugh:

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Well that is some good news. All I ever see for material in the custom piston line is RR58 and I have no idea about the composition.