• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bushings for Fulcrum Pins

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Will be finally working on wishbone fulcrum pin bushings this weekend. I have seen comments that Silver Soldering is Ok and others saying Brazing is required. Like the idea of Silver Soldering as lower melting point than Brazing Rod if it will work.

So next quesiton is how do I tell which solder to use. There are many, many types with different makeups and composition. If I am going to solder using MAPP Torch, which solder and flux am I looking for. TIA.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Just FYI:

MAPP is not technically manufactured anymore....but there are some similar substitutes. Not sure if they are as good.

Here's a quote from a popular info site:

<span style="font-style: italic">On 31 April 2008 the Petromont Varennes plant closed its methylacetylene/propadiene plant. As they were the only North American plant making MAPP gas, indeed the only legal supplier of trademarked MAPP gas in the world, this caused a widescale shortage, and many substitutes were introduced by the companies who had repackaged the Dow and Varennes product(s) - most of these substitutes are propylene, like MAP//Pro [1] from BernzOmatic, some are mixtures with higher hydrocarbons or with other ingredients like acetone. Many of these work just about acceptably in gas/air torches, but none work as well as MAPP in gas/oxygen torches.</span>

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
OK after heating thoroughly with MAPP torch for more than 30 minutes I can't raise enough heat with the equipment I have available to unbraze the old fulcrum pin bushings. I think it's time to spend the money, ship my wishbones to Apple and be done with it. I worked the torch over and around and through and while I can get one part shiny and melted by the time I've moved torch around to the other side things have hardened up again and I start all over.

I tried removing bushings on a set of wishbones off of a '69 Midget and I was able to successfully extract the bushings without a problem. Those appear to have been soldered in rather than these which are definitely brazed in. At this point, I missed out on late Fall driving with Bugsy and I have other winter projects I need to get done.

Time to pull the PS off tomorrow, find the right size box and off in the mail.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Jim_Gruber said:
OK after heating thoroughly with MAPP torch for more than 30 minutes I can't raise enough heat with the equipment I have available to unbraze the old fulcrum pin bushings. I think it's time to spend the money, ship my wishbones to Apple and be done with it. I worked the torch over and around and through and while I can get one part shiny and melted by the time I've moved torch around to the other side things have hardened up again and I start all over.

I tried removing bushings on a set of wishbones off of a '69 Midget and I was able to successfully extract the bushings without a problem. Those appear to have been soldered in rather than these which are definitely brazed in. At this point, I missed out on late Fall driving with Bugsy and I have other winter projects I need to get done.

Time to pull the PS off tomorrow, find the right size box and off in the mail.

I had to realize in my restoration that I didn't have to learn/do everything and that every once in a while, the best tool really is a credit card.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Roger that.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Well I gave it the old college try anyhow. And that will be one of those line items on the CC Statement that my wife won't review. Delayed today from Bugsy by getting up the rest of the Christmas lights. Finally out of the 20's today for the first time in 10-12 days and will be able to finish outside lights before I get dragged to the mall for finishing shopping by SWMBO! Back at it tomorrow. I hope.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
you could always do as I did Jim, pitch the old ones and install new heratage.

Wife said nothing is too good for Miss Agatha and I went along with her fine advise.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Jack,

You've got a fine wife there. I do have a good set drilled for a sway bar that came off of a late '70s Midget. Much heavier duty than what came on Bugsy originally. I do know this set of wishbones, as least the PS has been refurbished once as there is a rear grease fitting on the PS. Guessing since this is an OH car that Eric Jones in Columbus who passed away a few years ago redid this set. They are definitely brazed in and done very, very well. He was known for the quality of his work. I'm hoping I don't have to buy a set of Heritage Wishbones and these can be rebushed.

Interesting I spent an afternoon pully a set off of a '69 last Spring that I hoped to use as cores only to find out both sides were cracked and cracked badly and were missing metal. Both sides had siezed up in the past. Easy to see what lack of lubrication did to these puppies.

Got most of shopping done this evening and supposed to be snowing in the AM. Hoping I can get time in the garage in the AM to pull off the PS and get wishbones boxed up and off in the mail tomorrow.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
A few places need to be done with darn the dollars full speed ahead. Front suspension is one of these.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Well I got things halfway apart and then SWMBO caught me playing with Bugsy out in the garage. I stood out in a snowstorm adding more Christmas lights to pay for my play time with Bugsy. IT was worth it but I won't tell her that. Will have another opportunity on Wednesday night and hopefully can get the PS taken apart, boxed up, and out the door.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Think I need to make a quick run to Dayton and speek with your wife Jim.

She needs to understand that all work and no play makes Jim a pain to live with.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Got home from work finally, got some dinnet, and it's now 8:30. The spirit is willing but body is too darn tired to go out to the garage. It's also like 10 degrees out there. Dog was begging for a walk to do his business and 5 minutes outside was enough for tonight. The weekend is coming and I will finally get this finished and taken apart. Besides I just started the new Vince Flynn novel upstairs and Mitch Rapp is awaiting. The first 100 pages went by in 45 minutes. A great yarn so far.