• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bringing a Triumph into Canada from the USA?

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
What kind of issues would I come across at the border if I purchased a used Triumph or parts car and wanted to bring it into Canada? Would I have to pay Duty on the Sale price or estimated value? Duty if it was a parts car? If a car is over 25years old is the car exempt from Duty? I see some car sellers in the a States sell their cars with a bill of sale but "no title". What does this actually mean? Do you have to get a "title" in the State you are going to register the car in or do you even need a title in Canada if you have a legitimate bill of sale? Any info appreciated. Karl

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Karl - each state in the USA requires vehicles to be registered with DMV if they're driven on the public roads.

However, each state in the USA has different requirements for issuing a title. In many states, if a car is 25 years of age or older, then no new title is issued by the state, or expected by the state, when the car is registered. If no title is required, the state usually accepts a signed BOS (bill of sale), verifies the owner's insurance coverage, then issues the registration. If there is a valid title, the new state often retains if for state records.

As you're in Winnipeg, you're probably better off contacting your own Canadian customs/duty/DMV offices to find out about Canadian title, registration, duties and taxes.

Hope this helps.
Tom

Last edited:

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I spent quite a lot of time on the reverse process, a running car from Canada to the US. What I learned was that I was saving very little on my original plan of flying up, making arrangements, getting the car across the border, having it then picked up by a trucker, etc. Also, some truckers would only take delivery in their country. The "duties" were not great, and the Environmental Declarations were no issue for a car as old as mine, 1966.

After a lot of research, I just let Mackie Moving Systems handle everything. Not sure they go to Winnipeg, but they probably do. Maybe a bit elaborate for a parts care--they have an enclosed 18 wheeler with elevators, but I see they offer services beyond Ontario, and do offer open vehicle transport as well. They're in Ontario at 800.565.4646. What I liked about them is that they knew the entire process and had all the answers we might not have here.

Last edited:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've done the reverse process as well (my MGB came Canada -> USA). Like KVH I used a transport company that understood the process (TFX International). I provided them what they needed (some documentation, list of items in the car, etc). They handled all the details and knew what to do. I'm sure you can do it by yourself, but it was a small cost on top of the basic transport cost and I didn't have to worry.

Otherwise you'll have to check with the appropriate Canadian agencies (customs, vehicles, emissions, etc) to gather all the necessary paperwork and information.

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Did this a few years ago with a GT6. In my case, fron NY to Ontario. At that time, I had to cross at the closest border crossing to where I purchased the car ... I had no choice of crossing point. At time, paid GST on purchase price on crossing border, and then ON tax when registration transferred. Tax was based on appraised value or purchase price, whichever was higher. Now with HST, not sure how this has changed. I believe as well that US customs required about about one week of advanced notice, and they verify that car you are exporting from US matches VIN on ownership. Was not a major hassle, you just have to do your research in advance. I found the border services people in Canada to be very helpful when I called to ask exactly what I needed to do. Because of age of car, many regulations related to newer vehicles do not apply. Worth calling the relevant government agencies to explain what you want to do and ask them to explain appropriate steps. As I said, they were very helpful. Cheers, Mike

YYCDave

Country flag
Did this a few years ago with a GT6. In my case, fron NY to Ontario. At that time, I had to cross at the closest border crossing to where I purchased the car ... I had no choice of crossing point. At time, paid GST on purchase price on crossing border, and then ON tax when registration transferred. Tax was based on appraised value or purchase price, whichever was higher. Now with HST, not sure how this has changed. I believe as well that US customs required about about one week of advanced notice, and they verify that car you are exporting from US matches VIN on ownership. Was not a major hassle, you just have to do your research in advance. I found the border services people in Canada to be very helpful when I called to ask exactly what I needed to do. Because of age of car, many regulations related to newer vehicles do not apply. Worth calling the relevant government agencies to explain what you want to do and ask them to explain appropriate steps. As I said, they were very helpful. Cheers, Mike

In addition to what Mike has laid out above I'd allow 2 weeks advance notice, and you MUST have the ORIGINAL title document for US Customs to "release" the vehicle into Canada. You'll also need a bill of sale as well as any other sales documentation available, e.g. eBay listing, to verify that you are paying Canadian taxes on the actual purchase price vs. a contrived price.

Good luck!

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Good points Dave. You are correct about the need for original documents, and for sure the days of concocted selling prices are over. Everything needs full documentation. Cheers, Mike

bsa_m21

Freshman Member
Good points Dave. You are correct about the need for original documents, and for sure the days of concocted selling prices are over. Everything needs full documentation. Cheers, Mike

Guys,

Bringing a car into Canada is much easier than taking one south.

If the car is over 15yrs old, all you need is a bill of sale and the car's current ownership. You do not have to stop at or do anything to clear the USA side. The Cdn custom's guy did say that if I ever wanted to go back into the USA with the car, I probably should have had a police clearance certificate from the state where the car was last registered (in case I got stopped and they checked serial numbers - and when was the last time anyone has had that done?).

You will have to pay HST sales tax on the Cdn equivalent of the sale price, but no duty. Also, when I brought my last car up (1981 TR8), they dinged me an extra $250 A/C TAX. And, had I realized that the A/C wasn't working, I probably could have avoided that. After that you have either 14 or 30 days (I don't remember which) to get a safety certificate (if your province requires it) and then get the registration changed over. Simple.

Regards,

Martin
Toronto, Ont.

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Interesting Martin. I definitely had to stop at US side and they checked the paperwork and verified that the VIN on the car matched. That was coming from NY into Ontario. And they required advanced notice of my arrival (think it was 7 days, but not certain now). Perhaps things have changed, but would be good advice for anyone importing a car in either direction to check with appropriate authorities on current requirements. Cheers, Mike

YYCDave

Country flag
The process that Mike describes was definitely in effect in July of 2011. Probably the best, and safest, thing to do to avoid any unpleasant surprises is to contact both Canada and US customs to determine exactly what their requirements are.

ArcticOne

In general there is one main question to answer in importing a car: Is it less than or more than 15 years old. The rules change depending on which it is.

If under 15 years old, go to the RIV Canada website. Rules are there.

If it is over 15 years old, the rules are very few. US Customs will want to see the paperwork before exporting. Canada Customs wants to see the paperwork at time of importing. Federal sales tax is based on selling price and I believe payable at the border crossing. The majority of our provinces will require an out of province inspection before you can get the car insured / registered / titled to drive on the roads up here - depending on the work, this can be expensive. This is not part of the RIV process and you are not mandated to take it to Canadian Tire for the inspection. Interesting thing about the RIV site, if they do not discuss something or there site it essentially means that you do not need to do it.

Once the inspections are done, you will need to pay provincial sales tax (if applicable) at the time of vehicle registration in Canada.

The most comprehensive site I have come across for details / explanations / help / instructions in importing a car is from the Pelican Parts Porsche forum: https://forums.pelicanparts.com/canada/288322-importing-porsche-us-into-canada.html

One other note, if you import a car and declare it as 'parts' it may be the kiss of death for that VIN. It can be a very money and time consuming process to get the car legit. Advice is to import it as a whole car, you are saving nickles and in the long run it will cost you dollars.

Will you pay duty? Maybe, maybe not. Some have had success with claiming it is an antique. Sometimes the border agents are Ok with that argument, sometimes not. To save headaches, plan on paying it and if the agent does not ask you to pay it then BONUS. If you do pay for it, make your claims after you are back home and not when you are at the border.

I believe (and others, correct me when I am wrong) that all US states have vehicle titles - proving vehicle ownership. Not sure about Manitoba, but here in Alberta we do not have titles for the car. We have registration, which can be used for ownership but its main intent is that the car is legally allowed to be drove on public roads. We can buy / sell cars with only a Bill of Sale. How do you go about buying / selling cars in Manitoba? The process may not be different, even tho there is an international border - but check with them first.

AHBN1

Country flag
Hi Karl,
Like Martin I too imported a TR8 into Canada (from Michigan) and I recall everything Martin said. HOWEVER, you will need to stop on the American side and register through the RIV program, at least if you ever want to drive the car across the border. The RIV program (registration of imported vehicles) tracks vehicles that enter and leave the U.S.. Note that the office is open Monday to Friday and you need to send/fax the info on the car 3-4 days in advance of showing up at the border with the car. Only takes a few mins once you're there and as I recall costs less than $200.00. If you don't register the car and go into the States at a later date, I've been told that they can impound the car until the paperwork is done. Food for thought. Good Luck.
Dave

ArcticOne

Is there an American RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles)?

RIV here in Canada was created by Transport Canada. RIV only applies to vehicles less than 15 years old. RIV is not an American program - it is Canadian. Direct quote from https://www.riv.ca:

The RIV program regulates only vehicles originally manufactured for distribution in the U.S. market. Vehicles originally manufactured to standards other than U.S. or Canadian, are not admissible. The RIV program regulates passenger cars, limousines and funeral vehicles, Class A, B and C motorhomes, multipurpose passenger vehicles (MPVs), disabled access vehicle conversions, travel van conversions, motorcycles, restricted use motorcycles, ambulance vehicles, trailers, trucks, snowmobiles (including snowmobile cutters), low speed vehicles less than 15 years old based on the date of manufacture, and buses (including school buses) manufactured on or after January 1, 1971.

The most important parts of this passage are: "... for distribution in the US market." and "...less than 15 years old ...". RIV does not apply to vehicles sold outside the USA or for vehicles older than 15 years.

You do need to send a copy of the car's paperwork to US Border Services 48 hours prior to crossing in to Canada. This is not part of the RIV process. This is part of the US customs process for exporting a car.

jb