• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

a few questions about bringing my mini back

mofiki

first off just wanted to say hello, just joined
i am currently stationed in england with the usaf. i have a few questions about bringing my 80 austin back with me in august, and i dont want to spend over 4000 pounds on the parts i have planned for her, just to be told that i cant bring her back.With that sead here goes

question#1
how old does a car have to be to make it legaly a classic?

Question#2
what is the process that i have to go threw to get her back to maryland with me, the forms and such aswell as geting registration with the car being a classic?

Any help would be greatly apreciated as the DMV has gave me no answers what so ever

dklawson

Yoda
With a 1980 you're right on the edge of legality. However, for the specific rules you'll probably have to contact the Maryland DMV to find out what is allowed and required.

Send me a PM through this forum and I may be able to put you in touch with people in the U.K. who can help.

G

If it's not LHD (and why would you want LHD in the UK) it's going to be a pita to keep and run here. You might want to consider just buying a nice one here. The 6-7k (US) you say you are going to throw into parts is going to get you a long way towards an LHD you can use.
Just a thought.

swift6

Yoda
Actually RHD Minis are not to bad to drive here. They are so narrow that it's easy to lean over and look around traffic. A friend of mine has a tricked out RHD 'Downton' Mini that he drives regularly. I've driven it quite a bit as well. Now a RHD MkII Jag is bit more difficult. Been there done that with both cars.

Though anything having to do with a 'drive up', bank, ATM, fast food etc... can be a real pain if you have no passenger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
M

mofiki

it actualy wont be that hard for me to get parts, i have met a few people while i have been here and they dont have a problem with shipping me parts. just hope the transmition goes out or somthing of that heavy

dklawson

Yoda
There are plenty of A+ parts over here for cars of your vintage. Don't worry about engine or tranny parts. If you were talking about SPI or MPI engines, that would be different as you would find very few people who have even seen them.

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
Most states ignore emissions requirements on cars 25 years and older. Some states are much stricter. California is one of the most strict and the "one to watch". If Maryland is strict, like Ca. and you reallly love this car, you can always disassemble the engine and interior and ship it over as a kit car. I have ridden in 2000 Mini that arrived here in this manner. Now the title doesn't say 2000 Mini, it says someting like 2002 Mini kit. Your 1980 would say 2006 Mini kit, I guess.

Parts are not an issue. It is often cheaper and quicker to order parts from the UK factors directly rather than dealing with US suppliers. For instance, parts from Mini Spares arrive at my house 3 days after shipping via UPS! This is much quicker than from California for this Florida boy. I generally save 30%!!! after factoring the shipping difference.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Are you still going to be in the service after you return to the States?If so,you should be able to register it to any state you want to.Then find a state that's easy to get it registered in.

- Doug

dklawson

Yoda
ThomP... I couldn't agree with you more about parts! When Seven was in VA I could get parts overnight for the cost of UPS ground. Now, parts from CA take up to 10 days to arrive. I've found it is often less expensive (and always faster) to order from Mini Spares.

OP
M

mofiki

i finaly herd back from the dmv after a month of pestering them and sending my mom up there to get on there case. looks like i wont have to get the car safety inspected or emissions tested. it should only take 2 forms as well so thats a good thing to hear. as far as parts go what are some good places to go in the states, i usualy get my parts from minispeed because they dont charge me tax and there prices on performance parts is low.