• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bringing a BJ8 home!

David_K

Jedi Hopeful
I would like to officialy introduce myself to the Healey Forum.

I'm David Kiehna, a 21 year old college student with a passion for British cars. I've been reading R&T magazine (Every issue since 1965) since I was about 10 years old. My dad has always had some sort of European project car in the garage. His first car was a Ford Anglia 105E. He moved on to a 1962 MGB that he bought in 1965. He has owned 4 other MGB until he moved on to a 1972 Datsun 240z that he bought new.

When it came time for me to get my own car in 2001 my father asked me what I would do with $300-400. I didn’t understand what he meant by this, but the next day I happened to be looking in the local paper in the classified section. I saw an add for a 1974 MGB. The asking price was $300. We went to look at it the next day. It had overdrive and was almost 100% complete, but was a basket case do to both sills needing replacement.

He spent the next year teaching me how to restore my MGB. I can now say after owning the car for almost 5 years that I have turned almost every nut and bolt on my car and during that time I have replaced everything, but the dash gauges and wiring harness. This restoration has included a full engine rebuild that did everything, but install the piston rings. The car has been driven on several 1,000 mile round trips and has traveled over 30k miles since the engine rebuild in 2003.

In the last 5 years after buying that MGB we have acquired and sold 4 other MGBs. I myself bought a 1969 Lotus Europa that needed some TLC. I purchased it with my own money and flipped it a year later for more than double what I paid for it.

Now to the Healey!!

We are going to pick up a '65 BJ8 this Saturday. The car is a stalled frame off restoration project. The body work and paint was finished almost 15 years ago and the car has sat under a car cover on jack stands in the owners garage ever since. The engine and transmission are at a separate location, so those will be picked up a week later. As you might remember the car has been painted BRG over Ivory white coves. The car has single front lamps under the headlights. The suspension has been painted and bolted back under the car. The seat frames have been stripped and painted, so they are ready for foam and covers. I haven't cataloged the rest of the parts, but I'm grinning from ear to ear about starting on this project!

I hope to increase the activity of this forum over the next 6 months and hopefully contribute my experiences and knowledge with others in the near future.

Be ready for some pictures this Saturday!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
ah to be twenty something with an Austin Healey in the driveway...best wishes with the project...I'm looking forward to seeing those pictures.

Country flag
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing of your progress... and to seeing a few pictures of it all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
ah to be twenty something with an Austin Healey in the driveway..

[/ QUOTE ]

To "L" wid the Healey,Just to be twenty sumpin is enough!!---Keoke
OH! welcome to the forum youngster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif