• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brake Master from Alternative Sources

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Anyone used a Cardone Brake Master Cylinder. Fouind on E-Bay listings. I think Rock Auto sells the same. Cardone 13-1671 shows that it fits a '68 Spridget with Dual Master. Pics look the same as in catalog from the usual suspects but $29.95 vs. $200. Got a leaky Master and if this fits...Not sure how long it would last or quality but $ talk. Anyone got any history here.

dklawson

Yoda
I have not used their master cylinders. However, I ordered a Cardone Spitfire clutch slave cylinder from an eBay seller.

I have no idea how their master cylinders compare or even if the company sources all their parts from the same place. The slave cylinder was machined in Taiwan and was actually of surprisingly good quality. So far I have no complaints and was pleased to save about $50 on the purchase.

If you know the Cardone number, search for it on eBay and you are likely to find it available from several sources with a wide range in prices.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I did find it priced from 29.85 to 1145.85 for the same MC.I got it ordered. Will see how it is.

dklawson

Yoda
Be sure to post your comments about the unit. I am interested to know if I just got lucky with my purchase.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Will do.

69sprite

Country flag
Jim,

Did you end up buying the Cardone MC unit? If so, how is that working out for you?
I have to replace or rebuild mine and was thinking about one of those units.... but getting it from a local Advance Auto Parts, instead of off eBay.
Thanks
Larry Swofford
Austin, Tx
69Sprite

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Larry,

I did indeed purchase one and it's sitting on the bench awaiting for me to find time after Christmas to install new Brake Master ansd rebuild the clutch master and slave. Physically it looks identical to the Lockheed that I purchased 12 years ago. At least I think I remember purchasing a Lockheed via MOSS way back then. Again I did find it for $29.85. I will save the Lockheed and get it resleeved in brass so when this one bites the dust I'll know I've got one on the shelf that will last longer than I will.

taskadog

Jedi Trainee
Cardone is a re builder, so it's most likely a Lockheed core.
I tried one several years ago and it leaked strait off. I'm pretty sure they are doing a better job now.
Do let us know how you make out. The price difference makes them very attractive.

69sprite

Country flag
Thanks guys. Since I didn't have the money to have Gerard or one of his trusted people resleeve the one I have, I called the guys at Advance Auto and they are supposed to have one of the reman Cardone units in later today or tomorrow for me. Hopefully, I will get one that someone took their time and did a good job when they did the remanufacture of it. I will install it and post the results. Interesting thing.... it comes with a 'lifetime' warranty. Hmmm... wonder what their definition of a 'lfetime' is.... :playful:

Larry

69sprite

Country flag
OK, The Cardone remanufactured brake master cylinder arrived at the Advance Auto on Saturday. I was pleasantly surprised when the MC showed up complete with the reservoir. Everything I saw showed that I was going to have to reuse my old reservoir (which I got to retain, since I had removed it from the core I was to required to leave). In addition, the box contained two plastic bleed inserts and two pieces of plastic hose that made bench bleeding a breeze and also re-bleeding after installing the MC into the car easy and with far less leakage than I had ever experienced before with MC extraction/replacement. The only small amount of escaping brake fluid was when I had to remove the plastic inserts to install the hard lines.
I also felt I got really lucky in that I had hard pedal from the minute I connected the hard lines, so cylinder bleeding was minimal. I have only put 10-15 miles on this MC, so I will re-bleed the cylinders in a little while....and with only 10-15 miles on the MC, I can't speak to the durability of the unit, but so far it appears that the $42 I spent was not in vain...and my shoes/carpeting are appreciative!

Larry

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Larry,

That's a good news report. Between Christmas preparations and getting ready for Kitchen remodel in January I need to find some time on this one. Sound like minimal time with car up on Jack Stands. I need to redo Clutch master and replace seals as well. Again new carpet on basement stairs, I don't want to explain again how grease(Brake fluid) got on the carpet. New pedal pads got ordered as well. And I need to cut a new piece of carpet out . Trying to keep things clean