• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR-6 Brake Master Cylinder Seepage

JC1

Freshman Member
As it has been explained to me, the front surface of the TR-6 BMC casting, where it mates with the brake booster, has a small "V" shaped notch. I believe (haven't checked recently) the brake booster has a corresponding groove in the housing, such that both BMC and booster housing together create a channel, through which BMC fluid leakage can flow.

Point of this discussion is to request input as to what constitutes normal (i.e. no reason for concern) "normal" weepage from this channel, and at what degree of severity, would you consider BMC failure imminent ? I realize such assessments are rather qualitative at best !

Thanks

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a similar problem. Booster was rebuilt and master cyl was rebuilt by Apple. It all sat for several years while I did my restoration. I used the parts when I did the conversion on my TR4A to the TR6 dual setup. The master cyl leaks or weeps fluid but it's tough to know exactly where or how. I get some fluid on my hand when I run it under the booster but the amount that has leaked is more than I can see or feel on the bottom of the booster. Nothing inside the car on the back side of the booster and nothing in the vacuum hose either.
I do use silicone fluid and one friend told me that the silicone does not swell the seals as regular flid does. Apple has a disclaimer on their rebuild to not use Dot 5 fluid but i think that's as much a liability warning as anything else.

Thoughts?

RomanH

Jedi Knight
Jerry, it is true that DOT 5 does not cause the seals to swell which may cause it to weep. You can take the nuts off that hold the master cylinder to the booster and withdraw the MC from the booster enough (you can do this without loosening or removing the brake pipes)to inspect the piston area to make sure its not leaking.
If everything on the inside is dry I would suspect that the leak is coming from the cap. I have had a similar situation and found that the caps just do not seal well. In my case I was still using DOT 3 fluid and got tired of the paint damage so then I switched to the silicone. I still have to really tighten the cap to get it to seal but at least now if it leaks it wont eat my paint.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Racer-X- Frame mounted power brake pedal/booster/master cylinder kits for RHD cars? Restoration & Tools 1
prb51 100-6 Brake Master Cylinder Bore Austin Healey 5
bighealeysource Brake Master Cylinder Austin Healey 27
A Brake Master Cylinder Freeplay Austin Healey 11
rgfrey Bench Bleeding Brake Master Cylinder Austin Healey 2
K TR2/3/3A Clutch and Brake Master Cylinder push rod stop bolts? Triumph 15
mctriumph master cylinder brake/clutch Tr3 Triumph Classifieds 9
mrv8q TR2/3/3A Brake master cylinder: rebuild or replace? Triumph 9
J For Sale Triumph TR 2/3 original brake/clutch master cylinder Triumph Classifieds 2
BobHaskell MGB 1980 MGB harness question - brake servo/master cylinder MG 1
D BJ8 brake master cylinder question Austin Healey 6
D TR2/3/3A Brake Master Cylinder. Triumph 4
Michael Oritt Brake Master Cylinder access Austin Healey 0
glemon General Tech Follow up on Master Cylinder and Brake Fluid Triumph 11
Jim_Gruber What is the correct tool for removing brake lines from a BE Master Cylinder Spridgets 10
M TR6 Brake master cylinder question. Triumph 2
F Replacing brake master cylinder, fluid reservoir and flexible brake pipes - order? Austin Healey 4
T TR2/3/3A Girling Brake/Clutch Master Cylinder [slant port] Variations? Triumph 6
T TR2/3/3A another brake master cylinder question Triumph 16
T TR2/3/3A Aftermarket brake master cylinder 1961 TR 3A Triumph 11
S "59" 100-6 brake/ clutch master cylinder upgrade Austin Healey 3
H master cylinder brake vs mc clutch Austin Healey 14
PatGalvin TR2/3/3A Brake Master Cylinder Fluid Reservoir Bracket needed, TR3A Triumph 6
RJS TR4/4A Brake Master Cylinder Cap Options Triumph 11
D MGA Master Brake Cylinder Leak MG 2
nevets question about brake master cylinder Austin Healey 12
Lukens More clutch / brake master cylinder questions. Triumph 7
L Initial Adjustment of Pushrod on BJ8 Brake Master Cylinder Austin Healey 5
KVH Bleeding the Brake Master Cylinder Triumph 8
J TR6 TR-6 Brake Master Cylinder-Rebuild or Replace ? Triumph 4
D Brake master cylinder Austin Healey 1
A Divided brake master cylinder MG 6
1 Brake Master Cylinder Spridgets 11
K TR4/4A TR4A Brake Master Cylinder Internal Spring and Triumph 13
letemglow Brake line layout with dual master cylinder MG 6