• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brake lines -- wrong parts!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
So I opened my box from Classic tube this morning, so I could get to work on my new brake lines. I noticed as I was pulling the lines out that they all had a label stating "RHD Only."

Yup, they sent me a line kit for a right hand drive Sprite. :madder:

This means that while most of the lines should be correct, the line from the master cylinder to the union is wrong. The clutch line, a separate part number, is fine. Frustrating!

I'll call Monday morning and hopefully get this sorted out. Not how I wanted to start my morning's projects, though. I'm holding off on installing any of the lines until I talk to the company. Hopefully this is a simple fix, and we'll get the proper lines on their way.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Drew

I've connected and disconnected my lines about a dozen time over the past two days. I'm learning that sequence is important.

Lines from the front brakes to the 4-way union first.

Peddle box assembly installed next. The foam gasket is a "pita" to keep in alignment.

Line from the 4-way union to the master cylinder next.

Finally line from the 4-way union to the master cylinder.

Don't install the wiper motor until the peddle box assembly is in place and the lines are hooked up. It gets in the way.

I suspect that one reason that Frank can put these things together so quickly is that he has the "sequence" down pat by now.

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your brake lines. I just ordered stainless steel lines from them a week or two ago. Did they ever ask you if it was a right or left hand drive when you placed your order? I will be ticked if they messed up my order too. The brake lines are the only thing stopping me from putting things back together. Let us know how everything worked out.

Kevin

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
They did not ask about the RHD/LHD when I ordered. When I called today, the fellow on the phone checked their system and noticed that the RHD label was only in one part of their system. They're sending me the line I need (master cylinder -> brake union). Can't complain about their service.

You might want to call them and make sure they've got it correct.

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Drew,

Well, when I got home, there was my box of stainless steel lines from Classic Tube. What a nice suprise since I didn't expect them for a week yet. I was dreading opening the box after your story. The good news? They are left hand drive. The bad news? The line from the master cylinder to the union is still wrong! (it is labeled left hand, but is definately not correct.) I also forgot to order the clutch line- ouch. They were not very helpful the first time I called - I am not looking forward to talking to them again. I hope this goes smoothly. I wish I could have Jack call for me. I'll let you know how it goes.

Kevin

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jack only calls when sweet young things are on phone duty. LOL

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good luck, Kevin! Hope they get that line sorted out for you.

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I figured as such, Jack. I called this morning, and the guy at Classic Tube was very accomodating. I have to mail back my original, they will reproduce it, and they will mail it back- all free of charge. What works real well for me since I forgot to order the clutch line, which they will now not be charging postage for. The best part is I can finally start putting my car together now!

Kevin

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Now I'm curious as to what I'm going to receive when the send me the LHD brake line. Hmm....

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I don't know if it will help, but I am putting my original brake line in the mail tomorrow along with the incorrect one. I don't know if it would help, but maybe you could ask them to compare it against mine before they mail it.

Kevin

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Do you have any pictures of your line and the one they sent?

I may call them tomorrow, just to be on the safe side.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
So what does Classic Tube charge for a set? Is the fuel line included?

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
$225 for the set in Stainless Steel. Does not include fuel line or clutch line.

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Drew and all,
Don't mean to hyjack your thread Drew..but as we're on the subject of brake lines:
I have a set of brake lines I bought from Moss UK. The Cupro (sp?) line kit. Its a nice fit, but I noticed something last night as I was ready to re-install the lines on the axle before I rolled the axle back into place.
The lines are double flare with a flat nose. The two lines running to the respective drum brake slave cylinders tightened up OK, I went to re-install the stainless hose that goes from the T to the body and hardline. I then noticed the SS hose has a convex 'nose' on the fitting to mate up with the T. This made me look at the other legs of the T. Looking at the brass T on the axle, it appears to have a concave mating face, which would lead me to think the line that matches should be convex like the SS hose(??).
I had all this hooked up once and drove it around a bit. No leaks. My question though..is this correct? It would seem the mating surfaces are not as intended.

Did someone replace the "T" on my axle with the wrong part at some point?

Drew: How do the ends of your steel lines look from classic tube?

I'll try to take a few pics and post later tonight so you all can see what I;m talking about.

Thanks all,
Devin

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I just happen to have both the Classic Tube stainless lines and the Moss copper/nickel lines handy.

line_compare.jpg

Gold = Moss, Silver = Classic Tube

Definitely different ends

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks Drew.
The Classic tube looks like a better fit. Our Moss lines look identical.
I didn't have leaks when I had them installed the first time..but I wonder how long the seal will last when it would appear the mating surface is only a small area vs the intended surface..

Brakes are not something to guess on either.

Do your tees look like the ones I describe? i.e. the classic tube convex end will mate to a concave surface on the tee?
I wonder if finding new tees that match the tubes wouldn't be the easiest/least expensive way to make it right in my case.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'll take a look at the tees when I get home. Can't say that I've ever looked too close.

I did run one of the Moss lines from the front union to the front right wheel for a year or so with no leaking.