• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Better carb heat shields to deal with vapor lock?

MGNoir

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I've had problems with my Midget in hot weather with vapor lock. Now that I'm driving it in Texas and summer's coming on, I know it's going to be a real problem very soon - one I'd like to fix.

I was looking at these heat shields for the TR (link below), and the idea makes sense...

https://www.the-vintage-racer.com/webroot/Heatshields/

Anyone know of such a beast for the Midget? I confess I don't know my TR carbs to know if any of them would fit.

Also, any other suggestions for heat? I imagine that most of the heat problem comes from the carbs and the fuel float chambers getting too hot, and not from it getting hot as it comes up the fuel line.

OP
M

MGNoir

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Re: Carb heat shields to deal with heat & vapor lock?

By the way I have the default stock heatshield there, but not a fancy "wrap around" style like linked to above.

Country flag

I'd think a stock heat shield would be fine.
Do you have a picture of your current setup? What type fuel pump and where is it located? How do you know it is vapor lock?

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee

Assuming your problem is indeed heat at the carb...

I have to deal with hot, humid Tennessee summers, often in traffic. With my setup, single HIF6 & LCB header, vapor-lock was sometimes a problem for me, too.

As I am sure has been noticed, I have no qualms over keeping things original; I do whatever it takes to make things work; better if possible.

That said, I solved my heat-related issues by installing one of these "Aluminum Inferno" heat shields:

https://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Shop...Inferno-Shields

And then also adding a small electric fan (Yamaha R1 radiator fan) which is readily and cheaply available on eBay.

Thus:

PICT0035-3.jpg

PICT0034-1.jpg

Just a thought.

OP
M

MGNoir

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

Here are some pictures of the current setup.

url]

url]

url]

Basically this happens when the temperature gets up in the mid/upper 90s and I drive around. Starts running really rough, and fuel just percolates/spits out of the overflow of the forward fuel float reservoir. I've attached a long hose to it (visible in first picture) so if it does it, the fuel is at least not going down near the manifold.

The fuel pump is in the back - tucked up by the trunk and fuel tank.

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee

I cut and paste the tag from PhotoBucket; however, using a link as you did is fine. Uses less bandwidth.

I looked at your photos, and my solution to the problem is inappropriate to such a nice engine bay.

Are you sure of what's causing your problem? How's the fuel tank vent? Had that issue on one of my cars once, and it took forever to track it down...

OP
M

MGNoir

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

Good question about venting, I'll have to look into that.

I don't know if the gas cap is a venting type, but it isn't the tightest fit in the world. I've never had it "whoosh" any air when I remove it.

Country flag

I think Bill is onto something. The poor running may actually be caused by a rich condition as pressure builds in the tank and pushes fuel higher in the float bowl. Is your fuel cap vented?

Country flag

OK, so what type fuel pump? SU or aftermarket?

OP
M

MGNoir

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

Let's see. The fuel pump is an SU type, and the gas cap is... well... whatever came with the car I think :smile: Below are links to pictures. Doesn't look very "venty" to me...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/falcon_ship/4584576949/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/falcon_ship/4585203890/

So if it were a case of the tank and venting (versus heat), would there be a way to tell based on the fuel pump sound? In other words, would the pump run more (tick, tick, tick) or sound different in one case over the other?

Country flag

I think the pump would sound the same, but excess tank pressure would create excess fuel line pressure. It is just a theory.

However, I'm pretty sure a better heat shield is not going to be the answer to your problem.

It could just be that your float and valve doesn't work well when hot and they need to be replaced.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag

One of the things I did to stop this on the weber was to make my own super thick phenolic gasket to stop the transfer of heat from the aluminum intake manifold (that is just absorbing that heat from the exhaust manifold) to the carburetor. Yeah the carb gets heat conveyed from the exhaust manifold but that intake temp gets pretty high a puts direct heat into the carburetor.

OP
M

MGNoir

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

So if it were to happen, I would only have to pop the gas cap to see if it was tank pressure, correct? Still a problem means not the tank venting.

I'm thinking of ways to debug the problem as it were.

Tim

Country flag

Seems reasonable

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Cover the fuel filler with a heavy peice of alum. foil, use a heavy rubber band around it to hold it on. [censored] a small hole in the middle.

If your problems goes away you found the son of a gun.

OP
M

MGNoir

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

Ack I never thought of the fuel filter. It sits right out in the open "protected" by a thin plastic shell.

Yep, the heat shields have never really given any problems, so I look elsewhere as folks have mentioned. That first link for heatshileds, thats Joe Alexander, he make nice stuff, but most of it is for Triumphs.

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag

If it helps, I had a terrible problem with vapor locking, but it turned out it was the mechanical fuel pump that was getting hot. Hot enough that when it stalled out, I could open the cover on the pump where the inlet screen is, and hear fuel boiling. The engine wasn't overheating though. Finally fixed it by bypassing the mechanical pump and using a Facet pump. It dawned on me that this could be why the '78-'79 models had a thicker spacer between the pump and the engine.