• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A completely insane idea...

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
...and probably completely implausible.

But I've still been thinking about it. A <span style="font-style: italic">lot</span>.

Has anyone ever given any brainpower to the possibility of adapting a Healey Hundred-style folding windscreen to a Midget?

I love the idea of fabricating some sort of parallelogram linkage in place of the fixed posts, that'll enable the base of the windscreen to pull forward and lay down, so that the top of the windshield comes close to the bottom of the vent windows. Real wide open, bugs-in-teeth, wind tunnel motoring.

It'd be great in the summer! :driving:

Country flag
It has been done on a bugeye. I saw it in the AHCA magazine.

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Heh....I've also thought about this for my Bugeye. It would make zipping under big rigs a whole lot easier.....I can't count the number of times I've bumped my head! :cooler:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
kellysguy said:
Trevor Jessie said:
It has been done on a bugeye. I saw it in the AHCA magazine.

I don' think it'd look good on a RB car.

+1 - I've thought about this too and realized the problem (engineering wise and visually) is the 1/4 windows. With a side curtain car I think it would be awesome though, frankly for the hassle I might go for Brooklands windscreens instead.

G

mrsprite said:
Heh....I've also thought about this for my Bugeye. It would make zipping under big rigs a whole lot easier.....I can't count the number of times I've bumped my head! :cooler:

Mine will fit under the freight trailer I have, but it is jacked up in the front a bit..

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Why not Brooklands tilted way back? Bugs in your teeth. :yesnod:

nomad

Yoda
Wind buffeting in a MG TC with the windshield folded was brutal. Not sure you guys would enjoy the ride. Someone who races without a windscreen would be the guy to talk to before going to the trouble.

Kurt.

OP
bthompson

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
Most of the people I know with a Healey 100 <span style="font-style: italic">hate</span> driving with the windscreen down, actually. I don't think I'd mind it too much for the type of driving I do, though; low speed, in-town and back roads, touring and sightseeing.

I've actually looked at Brooklands screens, and just rigging up a quick-disconnect for the stock windshield to take it off entirely. The problem of the quarter-windows, like y'all have pointed out, is a sticky one. With the windshield off, they look weird sticking up there, fin-like. And there's no easy way to make <span style="font-style: italic">them </span>removable. That's part of my original rationale for a lay-flat rig: the presence of a windshield in proximity to the quarters would not look <span style="font-style: italic">as </span>odd.

My big bugbear with removing the windscreen and using a Brooklands is the time it takes to remove and replace it, and the lack of a place to store it in-car. I don't like being caught out with no way to put the top up in inclement weather. Being able to pop both the windscreen and top up and down at whim while out driving would be a definite plus for me.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
bthompson said:
Most of the people I know with a Healey 100 <span style="font-style: italic">hate</span> driving with the windscreen down, actually. I don't think I'd mind it too much for the type of driving I do, though; low speed, in-town and back roads, touring and sightseeing.

When I had a 100-4, I also hated putting the screen down. One problem, not often mentioned, is that the rubber fitting to the body becme molded to its regular conformation... and in the lowered position it would seriously flap (due to a small gap) and make annoying noises like an on-going whoopie-cushion.

RickB

Yoda
Who sells the Brooklands screens?
Seems like a nice thing for a Bugeye or a sidecurtain Spridget.

G

Boink said:
bthompson said:

When I had a 100-4, I also hated putting the screen down. One problem, not often mentioned, is that the rubber fitting to the body becme molded to its regular conformation... and in the lowered position it would seriously flap (due to a small gap) and make annoying noises like an on-going whoopie-cushion.

Sure it was the fitting?

G

I drove my car w/o the windshield in and it was a pain. Too much effort needed to keep your head up against the wind. It was cold so I wore a helmet, not fun.

Morris

Yoda
I think with a pair of goggles it would be fun. No more abusive than riding a motorcycle. I had my quarter lights out of the car recently, and I think if you were to get a donor set and do some cutting and drilling you could rig up a way to remove them without too much hassle.

Country flag
I liked the Midget that had the windscreen cut down by 2 inches. It was one of those mods that made the car look so much sleeker, but you couldn't put your finger on it until someone pointed it out to you.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
kellysguy said:
Boink said:
bthompson said:

Sure it was the fitting?

LOL I'm sure!!! LOL That rubber gasket is tall and if it molds to the normal configuration, it ends up curling a bit when steeply tilted. Honest, it's a REAL whoopie cushion.

As for Brooklands, I drove two different Bugeyes that had them. It was fun... but VERY windy, and I found myself sinking down in the seat to get fully behind the glass.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]One problem, not often mentioned, is that the rubber fitting to the body becme molded to its regular conformation... and in the lowered position it would seriously flap (due to a small gap) and make annoying noises like an on-going whoopie-cushion.
[/QUOTE]
Isn't this what duct tape is for? :smile: