• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

100S Illustration

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Howdy folks,

First time posting to the AH section but post over in the TR, Jaguar, and MG forums from time to time. I illustrate cars and, in particular, British sports cars from the 50s, 60s and 70s and have recently embarked on an illustration of the 100S and 100M Healeys. Thought I would share my progress as well as ask for any comments or observations.

• Sketch 1 - I've roughed in the body contours, established the wheel base, penciled in parts of the frame and added a few other bits that will help correctly locate other items
  • Sketch 2 - Steering wheel and column added, set in place, rear springs and prop shaft penned in, a bit more of the frame drawn
  • Sketch 3 - Body counters finished up, cowl and bonnet added, fuel filler, boot hinge, tag lamp and front/rear turn lamps added
  • Sketch 4 - Fuel tank is in, straps and top of wheel added to spare, door card, dash, mirrors, and rear brakes added along with the front frame outlines and a number of other bits an pieces.
  • Sketch 5 - A "test" motor and gearbox (in this case, a B series from my MG drawings)—please I know it's sacrileg) dropped in so I can check the relative position of some of the components that will fill the forward bulkhead—fuse panel, regulator, fluid reservoir, etc. I know it's sacrilege but I needed something until I get to drawing the 100S power train.

Hope you enjoy the show.

Regards,

DCTownsend
AH-100S-Sketch-1.jpgAH-100S-Sketch-2.jpgAH-100S-Sketch-3.jpgAH-100S-Sketch-4.jpgAH-100S-Sketch-5.jpg

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Looks nice, but the rear calipers should be on the rear of the hub.

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Looks nice, but the rear calipers should be on the rear of the hub.

Thanks. Good catch. I meant to reverse them after I drew them but must have been wrapped up in other details and never made it around to it.

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I already have one of David's MGB-roadster cutaways and it is amazing. I had been asking for a rubber bumper B, but am even more giddy with excitement that a 100 will become available! David, if you can offer a standard 100 in Ice Blue that would be great! The GT is all framed and about to be hung in my new office. All it needs is a nice 100 on the opposite wall to set it off!

Last edited:
OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm planning to continue with the 100-4 and 100-6 cars once the 100S and 100M are complete.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I already have one of David's MGB-GT cutaways and it is amazing. I had been asking for a rubber bumper B, but am even more giddy with excitement that a 100 will become available! David, if you can offer a standard 100 in Ice Blue that would be great! The GT is all framed and about to be hung in my new office. All it needs is a nice 100 on the opposite wall to set it off!

I'm lucky enough to call David my friend and have been looking at his drawings since he first started. David's gift is that he has a true understanding of how these cars go together in addition to his artistic talent. He's a true enthusiast as can be seen by his MGB'east: https://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8996
As Simon will no doubt confirm, seeing his illustrations online can't compare to seeing them in the flesh. And each time he completes one, it gets a bit more sophisticated.

Tech396

Country flag
I'm planning to continue with the 100-4 and 100-6 cars once the 100S and 100M are complete.

I would love to be kept notified if the 100-6 illustration comes to life soon. I have a rare color combination of Pacific Green with White, It's tough to find unique items like this for the Man Cave..

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I would love to be kept notified if the 100-6 illustration comes to life soon. I have a rare color combination of Pacific Green with White, It's tough to find unique items like this for the Man Cave..

Send me your e-mail address and I'll add you to my e-news list. Lets you know about anything new that's going on including my illustration schedule, new decals, etc.

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Real art, love it!

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
David, Sure there is. And our monthly clubmeeting is in this building.

Hans

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
A bit of follow up on progress. I've spent the past few days correcting a horde of details but finally was able to pen in some new parts. A few of the changes include: redrawn differential (to reflect the centered pinion), added the fuel tank outlets and plinth, add the plinths for the boot handle and front turn lamp, changed the wheels to 48-spoke (per a 100S owner), corrected the rear brake, added the front brake and suspension, finished up the steering box and started the other steering bits, lots of edits to the profile and paint lines, redrew the whole foot box area, added the grill and nose profile (also penned the grilles for the other models while I was at it), and generally cleaned up things. I'm sure there are still some errors but I'll keep working my way through them with the help of a couple of present and former 100S owners (huge thanks!).

Tomorrow I'm going to get started on the motor and gearbox and tidy up a few of the loose ends. It's getting closer...but still along way from complete.
AH-100-V5.jpgAh-100S-cockpit-detail.jpgAH-100S-rear-detail.jpgAH-100S-suspension-detail.jpg

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Am getting closer to complete. Still have the motor to pen and a few other details but here's most recent version.
AH-100-V5.jpg

Last edited:

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
These are going to be amazing! I move into my new office space next week. There will be a place for a BN1 waiting!!

Ice Blue, right hand drive with reflector pods 36" print to match the MGB roadster print:D

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
It is really coming along nicely. I can't tell easily on your drawings, but the wheels were painted white, not silver on the 100S.

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It is really coming along nicely. I can't tell easily on your drawings, but the wheels were painted white, not silver on the 100S.

Thanks. Wheels are a little off white as pure white just doesn't show the detail or print well. You may have also noticed, I'm showing the wrong grille on the last version I uploaded. I'm actually working on the 100S, 100M, and 100-4 cars simultaneously and wasn't paying attention to which grille I was showing when I saved the JEPG. Next upload will show the correct profile.

As a 100S owner, if you have interest in helping review the rock, shoot me your e-mail address and I'll forward you a higher resolution file the next time I update it. The more knowledgeable eyes I can get looking at the work, the better it will be.

Regards,

DCTownsend

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
And the most recent version. There are still quite a few details to work out (the exhaust header and down pipe being the most obvious) but I'm creeping closer to finished.
AH-100-V9.jpg

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The parking lights are smaller on a 100S than a 100. I think they were from a A35 or something. A nit, but some might notice.

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The parking lights are smaller on a 100S than a 100. I think they were from a A35 or something. A nit, but some might notice.

Fixed it. Was also able to correct a number of other items with the help of you photos. Will post up a new version in just a bit. Still futzing with the accelerator linkage. I hope it was easier to assemble in real life than it is on the illustration.