• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

100S Illustration

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well, it's as far as I can take without the review of those more knowledgeable than I. There are too many changes and additions since the last version to list them all but a few of the highlights include the tach, speedo, oil gauge, and temperature gauge lines have been run, corrected the exhaust manifold (courtesy of a gentleman who furnished a picture of an original), added the front sway bar, completed the throttle linkage, air box, dip switch and bunch of other bits and pieces.

Next up is a Spruce Green version, customized to the serial number of the car (upon request). There will be two versions of the finished print available (once it's been reviewed)—a collector's edition that will include the serial number of the owner's 100S, body and interior colors to suit, and modifications to match the car and a second "standard issue" print as shown here, available in either a 24" or 36" size print. These are printed on acid-free, archival quality paper and are numbered and signed. Prices have not been set yet, but if you're interested, shoot me you e-mail address and I'll add you to my mailing list.

Sebring-badge.jpg100S-rear-detail.jpg100S-cockpit-detail.jpg100S-front-detail.jpgAH-100-V10.jpg

Last edited:
OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well, the 100S illustration has undergone several reviews (with a few more to come) and each time the gents (previous 100S owners/restorers) who have so kindly committed to look over my work have found all manner of unique 100S items that need to be edited. While I'm sure the next round of review will turn up additional items, I'm happy enough with where things are at to post the latest version.

Some of the details that needs to be changed included: the choke mechanism, the spare tire strap, the cockpit coping, water pump nuts, exhaust down pipe and manifold, forward exhaust clamp, base of the mirror, steering column clamp, throttle shaft, pedal pads, wheel lacing, shift boot, and a number of other nits. Even though these seem like small changes, they're important to make.

I should have the order form up on my site by Saturday and expect to begin delivering prints about 2 weeks later.

In the meantime, here's a version in Spruce Green.
AH-100-Spruce-Green.jpg

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Fantastic work David. I'm struggling to get my head around how you do that. What medium are you using? Is it CAD based?

I work in Illustrator which does have some CAD-like features but it's all still, basically, done by hand. Although "by hand" these days means I'm using a drawing tablet rather than a pen and ink.

In terms of process, it's not unlike building a real car. I start by setting the wheelbase and penning in the wheels and tires, draw the basic profile of the vehicle, then draw the frame and differential (that sets the position for the springs, etc.), followed by the front/rear suspensions. The major mechanical components—engine, gearbox, cooling system—come next followed by the interior sheet metal (bulkheads, inner wings, that sort of thing). Much like a real build, the coachwork is the near the last thing I draw followed up by all of the bits like mirrors, interior appointments and so on. As far as how set up the various transparencies, that's something I cannot divulge. A fellow has to have his secrets.

A typical illustration will take about 120-150 hours to complete not including another 15-20 hours of research for each car. I also prevail upon the good humor and graces of those more knowledgeable than I on specific models to help out with getting the details correct.

Hope that answers your question.

Best Regards,

DCTownsend

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the explanation. How about a profile of a 3000 roadster, in Healey Blue with a white hard top. ;)
Derek,

It's coming. I have to finish the 100M, then I'm going to move on to the 4 cylinder cars than lastly, the sixes. If you got to my web site and sign up for the mailing list, You can keep on my illustration schedule, new releases, and the like.

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well, I've been busy making innumerable corrections and tweaks to the 100S illustrations, which now include the Jackie Cooper car and the famed (infamous?) #393 that Lance Macklin crashed at LeMans. The differences are sometimes subtle and other times not. The manufacturer plate that shows on the Cooper car will be offered only on the Collectors' Edition to current and previous owners.

I have to give shout outs to Michael Salter, Ken Freese, Rick Neville, and Carroll Phillips without whose help none of these would be what there are. Special thanks to Michael who really did yeoman's duty reviewing countless versions of the original artwork. Together, I think we've done something very cool.

Hope you enjoy perusing the illustrations as much as I did drawing them. The order forms should be up on the web site by the end of the day tomorrow.
AH-100-393.jpgAH-100-Cooper.jpgAH-100.jpg

Attachments

• AH-100-Cooper.jpg
    AH-100-Cooper.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Good point. The 100M is far and away the most common variant of the 100 these days:cool-new: might as go for the mass market first..........

When you get to the regular 100 and the custom order, will an owner be able to select which of the M mods they have done to the drawing?

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Good point. The 100M is far and away the most common variant of the 100 these days:cool-new: might as go for the mass market first..........

When you get to the regular 100 and the custom order, will an owner be able to select which of the M mods they have done to the drawing?

Frankly, the 100M has less to do with it's popularity and more to do with a promise made to someone to make it the next illustration. That said, once the 100M is done, it's a short way to the other 4-cylinder Healeys.

As far as options go on the 100 series cars, they will likely be simliar to what I currently offer on my there illustrations—choice of body/interior colors, choice of mirrors, other options typically available on the car at the time, whitewalls, etc. As to which specific 100M modifications make it to the list available to the 100, I'll have to get back to you when I get the illustration done.

Last edited:

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

Now the 100 guys are even trying to make their illustrations look like an "M". Hope David keeps track of his drawings so that we can tell which ones are the "factory" LeMans and which ones somebody drew a cold airbox, louvers and a bonnet strap on later. :jester:

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Now the 100 guys are even trying to make their illustrations look like an "M". Hope David keeps track of his drawings so that we can tell which ones are the "factory" LeMans and which ones somebody drew a cold airbox, louvers and a bonnet strap on later. :jester:

Far less expensive to have your 100 turned an "M" with me than it is in real life. And I guarantee that my Healeys will never, ever leave any oil on you garage floor.

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Okay folks, I think the site is set to go for ordering. Here's what's available:

"Standard" 100S limited edition print—Comes in blue and white only with 48-spoke wire wheels, full-sized Perspex windscreen, and SU HD6 carburetters. There are NO available options.

Collector's Edition 100S limited edition print
—Comes standard with 48-spoke wire wheels, full-sized Perspex windscreen, SU HD6 carburetters and your choice of available options including:

• Available factory body/interior color combinations (special colors are available upon request)
  • Brooklands “Speedscreen”
  • Driver’s side only Perspex windscreen (maybe ordered with or without the “Speedscreen”)
  • Dunlop racing wheels with competition knock-offs or 60-spoke wheels
  • Weber carburetters
  • Number roundels with or w/o rear number lamp (please supply a photograph)
  • Manufacturer’s plate with the serial, chassis, and engine numbers of your specific car
  • Radyot mirror (mounted to driver’s door)
  • Other options as may be required to personalize your print

NOJ393—A rendering of the ill-fated Lance Macklin LeMans car rendered in its as-raced detail.

AHS 3504 "Jackie Cooper"—Child star Jackie Cooper was a friend of Donald Healey and an accomplished sports racer as well. This illustration depicts the 3045 car as restored by Four In Tune for then owner, Bill Woods.

Through a special arrangement, 15% of the proceeds from the sale of each 100S print (all versions) will be donated to help support the Healey Museum in the Netherlands. In addition, a generous benefactor has donated the first "Jackie Cooper" print to the museum.

Please allow 14 days for delivery.

AH-100-Cooper.jpgAH-100.jpgAH-100-393.jpg

Last edited:

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Fantastic David! I move into my new office space next week. The MGB is already on the wall. I had originally planned to have space for a 100 in my color scheme, but now think i need room for a 100S as well.

When it comes to options for the 100 I would very much like to be able to choose reflector pods for the back. These were introduced just before my car was built so all of the earlier 100's did not have them. Since the M's that are on the drawing board next were all BN2's there are a few BN1 differences that I am sure that owners will appreciate.

I hope everyone realized that my above comments about the 100M were tongue-in-cheek?

OP
David Townsend

David Townsend

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Fantastic David!

I hope everyone realized that my above comments about the 100M were tongue-in-cheek?

I can't speak for "everyone" but I'm absolutely positive that Rick's comments were in jest and I know that mine were as well.