• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

100S

whitworth

In talking with a friend recently he mentioned having a hard time finding a grille for an early Healey in 1970. After showing him picture of both 100 and 100S he said absolutely was the oval gille and aluminum body. Car was bought in Phila. with no motor by the nephew of author James Michener, who's name was Edward Kenneth Michener. Small block Ford was installed, car repainted and sold @ auction when the nephew died shortly thereafter. I was curious if anybody ever heard of the car back then or now.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
This story rings a bell. I think that it is one of the 100S models that Bill Wood later owned, and that he was later able to reunite the original engine with.

Ken Freese, the 100S Registry guy, could probably fill pages with details <ken.freese@aerojet.com>. Contact him if interested, although be aware that he is sometimes reluctant to furnish info to unknown (to him) persons who might appear to be on a fishing expedition for gaining free information that he has worked for many years to compile.

Country flag
Reid: somewhat related, but a bit off topic...

Whatever happened to Keith Rishell's (sp?) 100S? I believe he was the club historian around the time Lou Busch was president. He and his wife/girlfriend were "co-owners" and seemed like her last name was DeFreese (or something close to that).

How mixed up do I have this story? Any connection to Ken Freese?

Where are they now; the 100S, Keith & girlfriend?

The only time I ever saw the car, was at the 1978 West Coast meet in San Rafael. The car was only recently running, and the bodywork was quite rough, having just had its massive bondo-flares removed. I'm curious to know how it was eventually finished.

Thanks.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Wasn't Rishell's 100S the one that Bill Emerson bought? Bill completed a restoration and later sold it several years ago (maybe roughly 1997) to a Dutch guy, Huit Huidekoper (I'm spelling that name from memory, so it's probably not exactly correct).

Rishell was also club prez for a couple of years way back when, but I think that he's the sole past prez with which the club has no contact, no mailing address.

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
That is interesting. I hadn't discovered a 100S that had a Ford in it yet. Always Chevy's. The 100S Register is available at the Austin Healey Club USA web site. It may be a bit out of date. My personal version is up to date, but it resides on a thumb drive which seems to be giving me security access problems. I must have pulled it out of the computer too fast. I suppose I will have to go back to a 2007 version and update that this winter to forward to the club site again. If there is a way to find out the serial number of the Ford 100S, that could tie up a lot of loose ends.
What Reid says about the Rishell 100S is accurate.
Ken

Country flag
Thanks Reid & Ken.

At the time I saw that 100S, I didn't know how significant it was; I was twenty-three (23) years old and had only been a Healey owner for just a few months.

Pity there aren't a few more of them left to be discovered...

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
As you probably know, Reid, we have had several 100Ss in Australia over the years. At one stage there were 4 in Queensland! My dear departed friend Alan Jones imported 3603 from the US with a modified nose and Corvette V8 installed. With the help of a local expert, this car was restored to 100S specs. I understand that car has returned to the USA. (darn that lousy exchange rate!)
Another 100S (3807) came from Portugal with Weber carbs, flared wheel arches and Borrani wheels! It too was returned to original.
I have had the pleasure of meeting Huit (I thought it was spelled Wiet), what a great guy! I hear that Steve Pike is building a replica of the Bonneville record-breaker for him.
Alwyn

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi pan,
And I had the pleasure of seeing a locally owned one in a Perth suburb back in about 1972, came about thru friends as they knew I had a 100 as well, think it was sold and went east soon after
Will you be in Perth for the Easter get together?

Country flag
pan said:
As you probably know, Reid, we have had several 100Ss in Australia over the years. At one stage there were 4 in Queensland! My dear departed friend Alan Jones imported 3603 from the US with a modified nose and Corvette V8 installed. With the help of a local expert, this car was restored to 100S specs. I understand that car has returned to the USA. (darn that lousy exchange rate!)
Another 100S (3807) came from Portugal with Weber carbs, flared wheel arches and Borrani wheels! It too was returned to original.
I have had the pleasure of meeting Huit (I thought it was spelled Wiet), what a great guy! I hear that Steve Pike is building a replica of the Bonneville record-breaker for him.
Alwyn
It wasn't too long after I got my BN6 (4/1/78) that there was a Special 100 Sebring issue published by the Austin-Healey Club Pacific Centre that Alan Jones was a big part of. I suppose that was when I got my education about the model and its significance. Unfortunately, even though employed at Austin-Healey West at the time, I never saw Keith's (or anyone else's) Sebring model again.

OP
W

whitworth

Actually the Ford motor makes sense as it is several inches narrower & doesn't require the chassis notch for the Chevy starter. My friend is looking to see if he has any old pictures.

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yes, If I was going to do a V8 Healey, I would use a Ford also.
As you can imagine, frequently folks tell me of a 100S they used to have or a friend had. I ask them how they liked driving with RHD. 99% of the time, they then realize the car they are talking about was a 100 or 100M.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
<span style="font-weight: bold">If</span> I were to do a V8 conversion, I'd use the Ford Taurus SHO motor. 32 valves, aluminum block, mmmmmmm. Funny thing though is the motor is made by Yamaha.

gregw, my best friend has a ford SHO a.k.a the little beast, that ive driven, i didnt know anything about them till then, and he just put it up for sale, before he decided to sell it i cant tell you the number of people that have come up to us in gas stations, parking lots etc. and ask him if he would sell it, snappy quick auto, the imagination runs wild. :yesnod:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Simple ECU upgrade, and you can get North of 270 HP. You could do more, but problems arise steering front wheel drive with too many ponies. Not a problem inna Healey.

Country flag
I had a co-worker in his late twenties who bought an SHO when they were still making them. His insurance rates were cheaper than my Honda Civic. He said that the reason the rates were lower was because statistically SHO drivers had fewer accidents and typically were older!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Who you callin' old?! :laugh: My next vehicle was a Ford Ranger with a 4 banger. Insurance went up, my company said the SHO was listed as a 4 door sedan.