• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Rear Brake Questions/Advice

Bjohnson80

Freshman Member
Gentleman-

I am having an issue with my rear brakes- or at least I think I am. Recently, after driving as little as 15-20 miles, I notice a strong smell from both rear wheels, and is sure smells like brake pad/shoe to me. The wheels are also warm, or seem warm to me. After a 15 mile ride, my laser tem gun shows the drums anywhere from 135-155F degrees. The car seems to roll easily when in neutral, so I don’t think anything is hanging up.

I took apart both rear brakes over the weekend. Everything looks fine, and I made some adjustments so the drum turned easily and free when in neutral. It seemed a little tight before I made these adjustments. The shoes have plenty of material on them, and when you smell the shoe, it’s the same small I experience after driving.

Thought I was in good shape, but an easy 30 minute drive and the smell and heat was back.

My question- the pads/shoes are old, but don’t have that many miles on them. I would guess they are at least 10 years old, maybe more. Do the shoes go bad over time, or maybe they got really hot and they are just out of life, even though the material thickness is adequate?

I never noticed the heat before the smell showed up- is 135-15F5 degrees measured on the drum itself high?

I am hopeful the answer is just a new set of pads/shoes, but figured I would ask for some advice here before I go and throw new parts at the problem.

Other notes- no known leaks in the brake system. Brake fluid level is constant in the reservoir. Car stops well. Hand brake functions, and the brake servo was replaced several years ago, and has about 2000 miles on it. Car rolls easily when pressing in the clutch before applying the brakes.

I appreciate any advice!

I am having an issue with my rear brakes- or at least I think I am. Recently, after driving as little as 15-20 miles, I notice a strong smell from both rear wheels, and is sure smells like brake pad/shoe to me. The wheels are also warm, or seem warm to me. After a 15 mile ride, my laser tem gun shows the drums anywhere from 135-155F degrees. The car seems to roll easily when in neutral, so I don’t think anything is hanging up.

I took apart both rear brakes over the weekend. Everything looks fine, and I made some adjustments so the drum turned easily and free when in neutral. It seemed a little tight before I made these adjustments. The shoes have plenty of material on them, and when you smell the shoe, it’s the same small I experience after driving.

Thought I was in good shape, but an easy 30 minute drive and the smell and heat was back.

My question- the pads/shoes are old, but don’t have that many miles on them. I would guess they are at least 10 years old, maybe more. Do the shoes go bad over time, or maybe they got really hot and they are just out of life, even though the material thickness is adequate?

I never noticed the heat before the smell showed up- is 135-155F degrees measured on the drum itself high?

I am hopeful the answer is just a new set of pads/shoes, but figured I would ask for some advice here before I go and throw new parts at the problem.

Other notes- no known leaks in the brake system. Brake fluid level is constant in the reservoir. Car stops well. Hand brake functions, and the brake servo was replaced several years ago, and has about 2000 miles on it. Car rolls easily when pressing in the clutch before applying the brakes.

I appreciate any advice!

Brian

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I would check the wheel cylinders maybe their getting stuck try bleeding them before you tear the whole thing down

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Check the linings as to position, since one lining can be installed either way. Opening for parking brake lever should be 180 degrees from the other opening. Good time to check springs and adjusters for free movement.
bob

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
although not as bad as yours, my rear brakes hanging up a bit was the rubber hose just before T near the differential. Seems it swells from the inside so pressure on application forces fluid through, but very very slowly allows the pressure to "bleed" out. I had replaced or rebuilt everything at rear until someone on board mentioned the rubber hose, kinda out of sight if just lifting rear a bit so out of sight out mind.

Portago

Freshman Member
I'm going to say is pretty obvious, but the only time that has happened to me that was because my Handbrake had not dropped completely and not I realized. It is not visually noticeable but one or two teeth by lower were missing and rear lugs brushed continuously.