• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Rear Drum removal

ABH_V8

I need to remove the rear drums from my BJ8 to replace one of the slave cylinders and am having problems. I just cannot undo the 5 nuts that hold the hub extensions on. They probably haven't been off in years. I have soaked them in WD40 and an 11/16 socket seems to fit. However when I try to undo them the socket is rounding the nut. Is 11/16 the correct socket? and if so how on earth do you get them undone? I can feel my socket extension bending! If I can't undo the nuts is it feasible to use a nut splitter on them or are they too strong for that. I have only used nut splitters as a last resort and on much smaller nuts. Any help or tips would be very gratefully received. Thanks in advance.
Andy

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
You could use a micrometer to measure the nuts to ensure you are using the correct socket. You should use 6 point sockets. I hope you are trying to turn the nuts counter clockwise. Have you tried to use a torch to heat the nuts?

57_BN4

Almost all of mine rounded off... Resorted to a cold chisel and hammer. The nuts are available new, even with the correct interlaced circles on one flat.

Using an impact socket that has had the front edge ground off so the hex comes all the way to the front helps as you can get a bite at the last bit of unrounded nut.

Recoil Regrip is pretty good at getting hold of rounded fasteners, it is basically sandpaper grit in oil that you put on the socket to increase friction.

It seems that most of the nut part is submerged inside the countersink and only the very top protrudes to get the socket on. Perhaps this is why some ppl have issues with them coming loose?

Andy.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
WD40 doesn't work too well as a rust penetrant. In the US, PB Blaster and Kroil are generally top performers, but some shops like Wurth products (green cap) which should be easier to find in France. Also, a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone usually outperforms a lot of the mass produced products. After treating the nuts for a few days, I'd apply heat from a MAPP gas torch, heating the nuts to cherry red. Be careful that the flame doesn't light off any of the remaining penetrant. If the nuts are too badly rounded off, you can use a special socket like these to grasp the remains: https://cgi.ebay.fr/Craftsman-Bolt-Out-Da...=item25660315ad

OP
A

ABH_V8

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. All very usefull tips. I will try them out first thing tomorrow. It is 40°c ( that's 104F !)here today and just a bit hot for using a blowtorch.

Rick - I am within 2 weeks (hopefully) of finishing my Nasty Boy BJ8. Ford 302 street race spec with T5 and all sorts of tweaks. It is however indistinguishable from the original except for the twin exhausts of course.

As soon as I get her finished I'll post some pics.

Andy (the only Nasty Boy in France)

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
ABH_V8 said:
Rick - I am within 2 weeks (hopefully) of finishing my Nasty Boy BJ8. Ford 302 street race spec with T5 and all sorts of tweaks. It is however indistinguishable from the original except for the twin exhausts of course.

As soon as I get her finished I'll post some pics.

Andy (the only Nasty Boy in France)

Andy,

Looking forward to seeing your "Mauvais Garcon" Sounds like we have similar driveline set-ups. Good luck.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
No No No, dont try using a chisel or beating on them! Go to napa autopart and buy a grip socket set, ask for the one closest to a 11/16 or the one a little bigger, These sockets are made to take off stripped nuts, And they work great! They dig right in to the stripped nut and you will able to turn that stripped nut off with your 3/8 drive rachet with no problem. Thats how i removed mine.... I will get back to you with the brand name and socket size to use.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
This grip socket is made by Irwin and sold at your napa autopart store. Use the 11/16 grip socket. I used the Irwin grip socket on my stripped hub nuts and they worked great!

OP
A

ABH_V8

Many- many thanks Drambuie. I have managed to locate and order a set of Irwin grip sockets and it is being sent to me from the UK. Everything here in France is Metric and even in the UK tricky to find. Fingers crossed.
Andy