• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 rear seats

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
What should be fitted on the rear seat panel (the panel with the two seat holes in) to fill in between the two seats when they are in place.

Is it a padded piece of vinyl in the same colour as the seats? Is there a wood/board backed shape that the vinyl fixes to?

I have just fitted a new carpet set and expected a piece of carpet to be included in the kit to fit this area but when I contacted the supplier he said it should be vinyl.

If this is the case where can I get one from?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Is it a padded piece of vinyl in the same color as the seats? Is there a wood/board backed shape that the vinyl fixes to?

Hi If I understand you question yes there is a wood/board piece that is covered in matching vinyl and held in place wit two large flat head screws-----Keoke

OP
Jeepster

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well that answers that one!

Does anyone have a photo of this item so I can attempt to copy. Or maybe even the dimensions? I have not seen this for sale in any of the parts suppliers lists. Have other owners been tempted just to carpet this area?

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Fabric shops in the US offer rolls of vinyl to choose from. I used 1/8" plywood to recreate my rear side wall covers in my BN7. It is your car, you can cover it with leopard print if you want too! I had carpet on the rear area of my car for 30 years until I redid the interior carpet and put in original type armacord.
IMG_1482.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Fabric shops in the US offer rolls of vinyl to choose from.

True ,
However, very few if any will stock British vinyl to match an existing interior--Fwiw--Keoke

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jeepster said:
What should be fitted on the rear seat panel (the panel with the two seat holes in) to fill in between the two seats when they are in place.
Is it a padded piece of vinyl in the same colour as the seats? Is there a wood/board backed shape that the vinyl fixes to?
I have just fitted a new carpet set and expected a piece of carpet to be included in the kit to fit this area but when I contacted the supplier he said it should be vinyl.
If this is the case where can I get one from?

Hello Jeepster,

If you're asking about the metal area that the two seat pans get bolted to, then it is padded vinyl, the same color as the seats. It gets glued to the metal, no wood used in that area.

As far as finding some vinyl that matches, you may contact who sold you the kit or try the local car upholstery shops. They may be able to order you something that looks close.

Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep I think that is what he is asking about Roger and your reply is correct.---Keoke--- :lol:

OP
Jeepster

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Roger,

that is indeed the area I am referring to.

I can obtain the vinyl no problem but I was under the impression that it was a bit more involved than just glueing the vinyl and foam to the metal.
Thanks for your help.

NIB

I have uploaded some pictures from when i changed the foam and vinyl on the rear seat. Must admit i have never done that type of work before, so there migth be some errors.

All pictures are here.
https://healey.850r.dk/albums/Picture%20Album/album/Rear%20seat/index.html

Some selected pictures.

Before, not foam overall as I had expected, but thick foam between the seat fronts. Didnt do that myself and that wasn't smart, it left an opening between the seats.
DSCF0404.jpg

Foam, keeping the edges clear so i can glue the vinyl on the bare metal.
DSCF0741.JPG

Vinyl
DSCF0761.JPG

Complete with seal
DSCF0763.JPG

Country flag
Keyston Bros. is a major fabric/upholstery supplier in the US; I think their primary source of income comes from the boating industry.

"Keyston" is imprinted on the backside of the interior kits I bought from Moss for my 100/6 last year. I'm fortunate, in that there's a Keyston Bros. whsl shop here in Toledo (about as far away from me as you can get, and still be in Toledo, but...).

They're a goldmine for upholstery hdwr, fasteners, tools, etc., but you may need to approach them as a business in order to get an account with them. They don't do "walk ins" but you never know, you might catch them on the right day...

Wonder of wonders, their link leads me to believe you can order from them online. Check the listing for locations, as you might have one nearby too!

https://www.keystonbros.com/index.php?tasknew=toledo