• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Apron installation 1960 tr3 a

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Afternoon everyone! I'm at the point that I feel ready to install the front apron. My question is, what should I be prepared to deal with during that installation? Also what should be installed before the apron? All the big and small obvious things are installed, such as: engine, front end, cooling sytem, some electrical and etc.
Your thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Tinkerman

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The apron is a big step. Before I put mine on, I made sure the engine ran, and the radiator and all the hoses did not leak. I suppose your front fenders are on. And the beading is ready. I think the horns are easier to install before the apron, but definitely the radiator cross supports. The tub can be loose from those two bolts at the front, and the 4 bolts (2 per side) to allow a little wiggle room. It is a tight fit, and before you completely tighten the 8 million bolts, be sure to see if the hood will fit and is aligned. A little masking tape can help things from getting chipped. If you still have the hole in your radiator for the hand crank, now would be a good time to check that the handle will actually fit into the crank, or if the radiator needs raised/lowered. Take your time and eventually it will fall together with a little persuasion.

Enjoy the progress.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Thanks, Yep all that stuff's in and it is running. The guy that re-cored my radiator put a small hole in and it will not line up. After I read your post I went and looked and sure enough it needs to be adjusted side to side not up and down, sigh.
Thanks for the info. I look forward to doing this job because it will start to look like a car.

Cheers, Dick

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I'm a big fan of pop riveting the fender beads onto the wings to hold them in place on the curve from the top to the bottom. You have to leave all of the front and top screws of the wings loose (you may have to remove a couple) so you can keep the wings spread out far enough to get the apron in place. There's more then enough movement to give you plenty of clearance. Once the apron is in place, just push the wings back into position and tighten up.

And, if you ever have to remove the apron in the future, you will thank yourself for doing this.

IMG_0639.JPG

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I did not pop rivet the tabs to the curve, but don't see a problem if you get the rear end of the bead exactly right with the rear of the fender to start before any riveting on the front tabs. You may find that the long flange of the bead that meets the inside top of the fender does not match the shape of the fender, necessitating cuts across the flange to correct the fit. If you go with putting the bead on after the front cap is all in place, put some low stick painters tape on the tabs to avoid scratching
Bob

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Hi Art, Bob!
I'm kinda getting the impression that I should put the fenders on first. Is that correct?

Thanks, Dick

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Dick
Yes!

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
C'mon Marv, I need all the help I can get! Heh!

Dick

TS66693

Freshman Member
Thanks for the super nice picture of the pop rivet installation on the fender bead! Do you do this for the rear beading as well?
Is your car painted black, or is that sprayed on undercoating on the inside of the fender?
Thanks!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the super nice picture of the pop rivet installation on the fender bead! Do you do this for the rear beading as well?
Is your car painted black, or is that sprayed on undercoating on the inside of the fender?
Thanks!

My car is painted black. I did it myself, along with all the body work...in my one car garage.

IMG_0809C.JPG