• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Wing to Apron Mismatch

71TR6

Country flag
I'm doing the final fitting of the sheet metal of my TR3A and discovered the right wing has a 3/8" mismatch on the radius where it meets the front apron. The rest of the wing fits fine and the left wing fits perfectly. The front apron is not the original that came with the car but is another that I picked up after I initially fit the body panels during reconstruction. This new apron is in much better shape than the original and does not have any damage. Secondly, I have reason to believe the right wing is not original since there was pretty significant damage I had to repair on the right front suspension.

Any thought or recommendations on how to correct this? 3/8" is a lot of body filler and I'd prefer not to go that route if there's a way to minimize the filler.

Ron

IMG_2101.jpg

bobhustead

Silver
Country flag
I don't recall how much mine were out, but I was able to align the pieces one bolt at a time and clamp them with the bolts as I went. Try algning the center first and use the leverage toward the ends as you work out. The beads will hide a lot of the remaining misalignment, which should be fairly small.
Bob

Last edited:

James Christie

Freshman Member
Country flag
A word of encouragement, that‘s not a mismatch, it just needs adjustment! In fact it’s pretty good compared to most.
Follow Bob’s suggestions (except I would start at the top where the bonnet/hood fits and work forward). Some judicious pushing and pulling will get it right. Wedges of wood between the apron and inner wing may help. You may have to enlarge a few bolt holes too.
james

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
Agree with the previous two posts. I think mine was similar, but with an extra set of hands and eyes, it went in. Don’t forget to take the bumper brackets into account too! The good news is that yours is still in primer, so adjustments can be still be made.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You may also need to snip the bolt holes to allow a bit tighter radius if needed. You should be able to easily work that mismatch out...but if there is a mismatch at the bottom, that may be another issue.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Get all the bolts in and tight while you are at this stage in the painting process. I did not do that and had to push and shove the finished painted panels. More work at your stage would probable have helped a lot.

David.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I usually take a couple 12 inch or so ¼ diameter punches and go in from the back side or through the headlight hole or grill and work the high spot out by sticking the punch in through 2 holes and prying them where I want them then put a bolt in a close by hole. I left the bolts out at that stage that went into the tub itself and worked the fender and apron by themselves and let the nose of the car float on the tub.
steve

charleyf

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I agree with most of the above comments. It is not a mismatch. Mine was this far off , I started from the top and worked my way down. I Also removed all of the fenders to paint he car. So putting it back together again will be necessary. I intend to have a helper to "gently" push it into the proper alignment once it is painted.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When I thought I was going to have to remove the apron again I had considered drilling some 1/4"alignment holes through the wing apron flange to help me get it back in line.
I ended up taking the gearbox out through the cockpit so I did not have to remove the apron.

David

OP
71TR6

71TR6

Country flag
After quite a bit of loosening/adjusting, I was able to match the wing to the apron a little closer. Still a little less than an 1/8” mismatch but it is better. It might be down to where the fender bead may help hide it.

Thanks for everyone’s guidance on this!

Ron
A4E1C5C9-4FF9-4F91-8D9D-3128A455F8F9.jpeg