• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Apron support and pin/latch assembly TR3

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Guys,
I need a breakdown or picture of the spring pin assembly the latch or holds up the bonnet. It is attached to the support brace that attaches under the apron support.

Also what color is the apron support supposed to be?
Thanks

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Something like this? I'd guess it should be the same color as the body of the car, but mine is black (now).

Attachments

• 26378.jpg
    26378.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 418
  • 26379.jpg
    26379.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 418

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Designed by the same guy who did the Claymore mine.

I, too, think body color is correct - though, of course, the paint will wear off pin with use.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Great. I know how helpful a picture can be. That assembly is one of those that seems obvious when it comes apart, but after it's painted is very difficult to tell how it went together.

It's finally getting cool enough to go into the garage. I don't think it was over 95 yesterday, but I've got myself involved in a few other projects and the TR3 is buried again. I have made some progress with body panels, and have brackets for seat belts ready to be welded. Both outer rockers and dog leg bottoms have been fitted as well as one rear fender patch. Soon I'll start welding. I wasn't expecting so much reforming of replacement parts. Progress is slow, but coming.

Attachments

• 26381.jpg
    26381.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 378

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
JP,

Body color is the correct answer. However as Geo says, the paint on the pin will scrape off with use. I took the paint off my pin and polished it as best as possible. It looks nice.

Paul

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
When reassembling I probably used zip ties or dental floss or such to hold the spring in a compressed state until all was secure, then cut & set it free.

Here's a pic (why did I leave those bolts unpainted?):

BonnetLatch.jpg

PSUTR3B

Why leave the bolts unpainted? Because it looks good!! I know at the factory they were painted but most of us painted the wings, apron, etc off the car and then assembled. That latch was toward the end of assembly. Brushing in the bolts and washers would be a royal pain and I just think they look better unpainted--assuming that is the way they were all left.

The only clear memory of assembling the latch is that it was not easy and and took more than one effort. I don't think I painted the pin.

Gary

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
When reassembling I probably used zip ties or dental floss or such to hold the spring in a compressed state until all was secure, then cut & set it free.
Awww! Where's the fun in that? The last time I did it (out on the driveway) I shot bits of it into the neighbor's yard -- twice -- before finally getting it to go together. :crazyeyes:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Moseso said:
Awww! Where's the fun in that? The last time I did it (out on the driveway) I shot bits of it into the neighbor's yard -- twice -- before finally getting it to go together. :crazyeyes:
thumbsup.gif

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The big washer on the bottom of the spring is somewhere in the attic of my garage! Went flying while trying to assemble it. I ended up using a big fender washer.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You know, I've been looking at those 2 little side brackets for a year wondering where they go. Mystery solved! Very helpful pics!

John

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha JP,

If you want to avoid the excitement of shooting pieces around the garage or over to your neighbor's yard you can try this. Drill a small hole through the bottom of the plunger about 1/8" from the end and use a cotter pin to hold it in the assembly. My plunger was also damaged by vibrating against the top plate of the housing to the point a large slot was worn into it. I had to weld it up and grind it smooth as a repair. To prevent that from happening again I used a nylon gromment by enlarging the hole in the top plate. Here are some photos:

Attachments

• 26412.jpg
    26412.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 26414.jpg
    26414.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 26415.jpg
    26415.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 203