• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Another EBay Oversell job.....

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I saw this on EBay and thought it was rather interesting...
TR7

I sent the seller the following note:
[ QUOTE ]
I think your claim that only 9 TR7s were made in 1981 is an error. According to the "Original Triumph TR7 and TR8 Restorer's Guide" by Bill Piggott, c2000, there were 4657 total TR7s made in 1981, of which 3202 were convertibles. I just thought I'd let you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was interesting that he also supposedly had the vehicle appraised by a dealer, and they said it was worth $12,500. At that point, I would have said give me $10,000 and it's yours! After all, there have been a few "brand new, never registered" ones sold within the last year in the neighborhood of $10K. It wil be interesting to see if and what kind of response I get, and if he updates the listing.

Caveat Emptor.

PS. From the 2 pictures shown, it is a nice looking car.

philman

Jedi Knight
i must have the number 8 '81, the last two numbers on mine are "88"

Radford

Jedi Knight
Come on, I kinda fell for the "I am sure the the mileage <font color="blue"> (12000) </font> is correct but the Title has NO for not original miles" pitch.

Hey, there's an ultra rare MGB in the background! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
It doers look like a nice car, but a red car with blue interior might not be my first choice!
On the other hand my 19 year old son is colour blind and needs a car for university....
Simon.

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
It doers look like a nice car, but a red car with blue interior might not be my first choice!
On the other hand my 19 year old son is colour blind and needs a car for university....
Simon.

[/ QUOTE ]

HUMMMMMMMMMMM ??????

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Then White would be OK then Simon?

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Yeah, I just emailed him too, breaking down production. I suppose he could have gotten mixed-up with 9 home-market TR8s made, but more likely, he's just a yutz.

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Klutz, is your interior the blue velour?

[/ QUOTE ]

NOTHING Velour has touched my body since the 70's, and then I blame my parents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The seller has added more Info. to his listing. More confused now then before.

"This off the web site:

https://www.team.net/TR8/Registery/Index.html

Vin Explained:

Continent - S= Europe

Counrty - A= U.K

Manufacturer- T= Triumph

Model Range- P= TR7/8

Specification - V= U.S.

Type body- 4= Convertible

Type Engine- 1= 2 liter 4 cylinder

Transmission- 8= LHD, Manual 5 speed

9 = Ninth made

B= Model year

A= Assembly plant.

One very important thing to note is that although the very rare UK spec. TR8's were built at solihull, they were not amongst the last TR7s manufactured (9 built in 1980 and then another 9 in early 1981). This means that they were all built prior to the introduction of the new North Ameriacan VIN identification standard, which appeared on UK TR7s later on in 1981."

Radford

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NOTHING Velour has touched my body since the 70's, and then I blame my parents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Touchy, touchy. Our parents all did crazy stuff in the disco era. Just asked as the velour material seems to be rather rare in any decent condition.

My 8 had the horrid gold and black plaid.

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Touchy, touchy. Our parents all did crazy stuff in the disco era. Just asked as the velour material seems to be rather rare in any decent condition.

My 8 had the horrid gold and black plaid.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Actually.. mine has Beautiful Red and Black plaid interior.
And... I love it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
ObiRichKanobi

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well, just fired off another email to the seller...although he hasn't bothered to answer my earlier one.

[ QUOTE ]
::TR8's were built at solihull, they were not amongst the last TR7s manufactured (9 built in 1980 and then another 9 in early 1981). This means that they were all built prior to the introduction of the new North Ameriacan VIN identification standard, which appeared on UK TR7s later on in 1981.::

You are misinterpreting this information. There were only 9 UK/Europe specification TR8s manufactured in 1981. Although I don't plan to bid on this car, as a TR7 owner and enthusiast, I hope you don't mislead a buyer into thinking that they have purchased an extremely rare car which in fact isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
oh well, you'd have to be crazy to buy a wedge anyway. Seriously though, this guy is trying to rip someone off. Personally I think its a case for the authorities at ebay to yank.

OP
ObiRichKanobi

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Tweaked my consience (sp?) and sent email to EBay. Shortly after that, the seller make another change to the listing:
[ QUOTE ]
On Apr-08-05 at 16:35:00 PDT, seller added the following information:

After searching more I have found out more than 9 were made very few were made with american specs. It is a rare car though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me, but there were a total of 1860 TR7s made for the export market, and 1421 of those were convertibles. I guess it might fit his definition of "very few" and "rare." ::heavy on the sarcasm::

Like I said on the first post, caveat emptor.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I love some people's definition of "rare." It always gets me when I see someone advertising a "rare 1964 1/2 Mustang." As we all know, the '63 Mustang is the single least-rare car ever made. (There were no 64 1/2 Mustangs, as Ford classified ALL Mustangs in the first year as '65s.

No production TR is rare. Now, a Ferrari 275GTS/4 (10 made) now that fits my definition of rare.

Oh, and don't get me started about how people even more frequently confuse "rare" and "desirable." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

Ah, Mustang facts, I feel the need to contribute. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
There were no 64 1/2 Mustangs, as Ford classified ALL Mustangs in the first year as '65s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is technically correct, but there are lots of differences between the early and late 65's that make them distinct from each other. These include the early cars having generators as opposed to cars built later with alternators, and their related warning lights on the dash (gen vs alt). Also, the early cars had a fixed passenger seat, and the 164 horse 260 V8 was only available on the early cars. There were several other small differences, and some significant ones in the engine options, and of course the fastback was not offered as an early 65 (the FB came in the fall of 64), but nothing that would make the early cars really rare. Early cars are classified as being built between March and August of 64, and late cars after August 64. Overall there were over 121,500 early 65 cars built (vs almost 560,000 late 65's), so I wouldn't say thats rare. Desireable as Sammy says, but hardly rare. I also agree, I have no idea why people insist on calling the early cars "64 1/2's" I agree that the car was introduced as a mid year model, but if the manufacturer isn't calling it that why would the public.

You want to see a rare 65 Mustang, look for a 65 Indy pace car edition. 37 were built, 2 used in the race and 35 given to bigshots at the race. All were pace car white, which was a different color code than Wimbledon white. Then they built 185 Indy pace car replicas, same pace car white and they had the 260 V8. These were sold to dealerships and should have been, theoretically, available to the public.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
You want to see a rare 65 Mustang, look for a 65 Indy pace car edition. 37 were built, 2 used in the race and 35 given to bigshots at the race...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, 33 of those went to the '500 Princesses' at least for the month of May. Had a high school friend whose sister got one -- he was a popular guy that Spring.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Ebay Overseller Replies

Here are the replies I got from the goofy seller:

"I am just a guy who won a car did $3000 worth of restoration and am trying to get what I put into it. I did alot of reading and as far as I am concered it is a rare car. I wanted to restore it more than I did but due to working for a living I could not give it the attention I wanted to. I am not trying to scam anyone maybe I just saw what I wanted to see i do not know, but as far as I'm concerened tell anyone you want about my so called scam. And ebay will not let me change my add like I wanted. "

and he sent another one too.

"I just want to give it to someone that will give it the attention it deserves and not to some punk that will pull the engine and stick a v-8 in it and screw it up."

Real winner here!

I almost wrote back and said "1)There are a million VW Beetle owners trying to get the $15,000 they put into their $5,000 cars. Tragically, these cars are still worth $5,000.
AND 2)I suppose you believe Triumph really "screwed-up" the TR7 V8 factory rally cars?"

and on the topic of the Mustang:
I knew Scott would contribute -- I love all the little production trivia, and remembered most of them. (By the way, I've seen 64 1/2 fastbacks advertised a couple times...probably by the same clown that's selling this TR7!)

But I had totally forgotten about the Pace Cars!!! I have seen them before (in print/on tv) but I can't recall seeing any in person.

G

Re: Ebay Overseller Replies

I love people that you just can't explain facts to. Here it is in black and white by people that are authorities on these cars, but as far as he's concerned it's a rare car, go figure. I'm sure he thinks his wifes Toyota Camry is rare also, it was one of only 16 imported with the rare Japanese market only heated dipstick option.

Well, whatever, looks like a nice car though. Hopefully someone will get it for a price thats near what the car is actually worth.

[ QUOTE ]
and on the topic of the Mustang:
I knew Scott would contribute

[/ QUOTE ]

HA HA, am I getting that predictable? I guess thats a sign of old age right? I've also never seen the pace car 65, other than in an old photo. Mustangs and SS Chevys have to be the largest market for bogus special edition cars. Almost every Camaro or Chevelle I see these days for sale is an SS, they didn't build that many of the darn things. These days, unless you live, eat and breath the car type, you really need to go look at a car armed with a guide to the production details and the VIN number breakdowns. I've read my Mustang red book so many times it's dogeared.